Before Free Agency Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
BEFORE MARCH 2nd
1. Hire and promote coaches, and perhaps let one go.
2. Negotiate a new deal with McGinist.
3. Decide whether to franchise Adam.
4. Sign a few more future contracts and allocate(sentence) players to Europe
5. Participate in combine and build Draft Board
6. Get some rest and relaxation

Willie has said he won't re do his deal.

And why should he?

He has done it twice before I believe, each time taking less money and pushing all the big money towards the end of the contract, should of knowing that when the big money started rolling around he would either have to re do his contract or be cut.

Willie is one of my favorite players, and deserves the money he is going to get.

BB cuts him it only shows that it's not exactly about the amount of money your making vs. what kind of talent you bring to the table but rather vs. who it will stop you from signing.

8 Mil for Willie is a steal anyways.

festy1986 said:
BB cuts him it only shows that it's not exactly about the amount of money your making vs. what kind of talent you bring to the table but rather vs. who it will stop you from signing.

:confused: ten characters

mgteich said:
BEFORE MARCH 2nd
1. Hire and promote coaches, and perhaps let one go.
2. Negotiate a new deal with McGinist.
3. Decide whether to franchise Adam.
4. Sign a few more future contracts and allocate(sentence) players to Europe
5. Participate in combine and build Draft Board

7. Have McDaniels go into sequestered week long conference with NEM to fully grasp what the Patriots offense has been continually doing wrong. (Perhaps he can establish a bright red "NEM-PHONE" hotline for immediate input, complaints and suggestions during the season)
:D

I'm going to be honest with you, I have no idea what that means.

I just believe Willie has earned the amount of money he is going to make this year, and shouldn't re do his contract. Esspecially if he doesn't want to.

Welcome to the board.

Willie redoes his contract each year. This year will be no exception. If Willie doen't want to redo his contract, he will be cut on March 1st. It really is as simple as that. This team will not pay Willie $7M to play the 2006 season, and neither will anyone else. I don't believe it was anyone's intent to pay Willie $7M. The roster bonus simply required a renegotiation in Feb 2006.

Bruschi and Vrabel have recently re-negotiated for about $3M to $3.5M per year. I don't expect Willie to get double. The roster bonus will go or Willie will go.

BTW, I don't expect that Saban or Romeo will pay Willie more than $3.5M either, but Willie (my favorite current player) can certainly try.

I just hope he comes back.

festy1986 said:

And why should he?

He has done it twice before I believe, each time taking less money and pushing all the big money towards the end of the contract, should of knowing that when the big money started rolling around he would either have to re do his contract or be cut.

Willie is one of my favorite players, and deserves the money he is going to get.

Where have you seen it said he wont re-do his contract? And $8 mil is not a steal.

festy1986 said:

And why should he?

When did Willie say he wouldn't redo his deal? Do you have a link to support that?

All Willie has done is "restructuring," which is to say that the team has guaranteed him money on his contract to spread the cost out amongst the remaining years. He's never taken a pay cut to my knowledge.

Sorry, but 8 million for Willie isn't a steal. Well, except maybe for Willie that is. Sorry, but Willie's cap number hurts the team. Plain and simple.

I would put money that Willie extends his contract 3 years, getting a decent signing bonus to off-set any money he would "lose".

Maybe what Willie really wants is the Patriots to add two more years (a real and a dummy) and pay Willie the bonus upfront (7 million) with a minimum salary.

festy1986 said:
I'm going to be honest with you, I have no idea what that means.

I just believe Willie has earned the amount of money he is going to make this year, and shouldn't re do his contract. Esspecially if he doesn't want to.
My thoughts (in no particular order):

1) Willie earned the money he made in the past. Next year, he will earn the money by playing next year. If he is worth 8 million, he will get 8 million.

2) He does not have to re-do his contract if he does not want to. But neither do the Patriots have to keep him if he refuses. The Pats should not hold it against Willie if he refused to negotiate. They should accept that and either keep him or cut with without animosity. Willie should do the same, recognizing that if he refuses to negotiate one of two things may happen: he may make a lot of money or he may get cut. Either way it wil be his decision not to negotiate and should accpet the result.

3) I think the both the Pats and WMG understand this and both will behave like professionals, whether he stays or goes.

4) I would never pay him $8 million for next year. Good as he is, he just is not worth it.

5) This would be a good time for WMG to retire, going out at the top of his game, with pride. Next year he will be a role player.

No I don't have a link it was on New England Sprts Report wasn't it?

I don't wan't to lose credibility just as I signed up for the board but I remember someone saying he already said he wouldn't re do his contract.

Let me see if I can find something.

mgteich said:
I can take on this one if the rest of you want to get started on the rest of the list.

festy1986 said:
No I don't have a link it was on New England Sprts Report wasn't it?
Well at an $8.3M cap hit and just $1.3M dead money if cut, he'll have to do something. That $7M would go a long way.

I agree with all your comments, except #5. I don't expect Willie to be a role player if he comes back. I expect him to be a starting OLB. We have no one remotely close to his talent, nor will someone new replace him any time soon. That being said, Willie is not a $7M LB. I'm not sure anyone could be a $7M LB under our salary structure, but that is another matter, and another thread.

spacecrime said:

1) Willie earned the money he made in the past. Next year, he will earn the money by playing next year. If he is worth 8 million, he will get 8 million.

2) He does not have to re-do his contract if he does not want to. But neither do the Patriots have to keep him if he refuses. The Pats should not hold it against Willie if he refused to negotiate. They should accept that and either keep him or cut with without animosity. Willie should do the same, recognizing that if he refuses to negotiate one of two things may happen: he may make a lot of money or he may get cut. Either way it wil be his decision not to negotiate and should accpet the result.

3) I think the both the Pats and WMG understand this and both will behave like professionals, whether he stays or goes.

4) I would never pay him $8 million for next year. Good as he is, he just is not worth it.

5) This would be a good time for WMG to retire, going out at the top of his game, with pride. Next year he will be a role player.

in any case i really hope that there will be an agreement with Willie.

i want to see Mc Ginest with us all his career.

# 55 !!!

this year he was phenomenal.

another true Patriot.

spacecrime said:

Coach has already been over this: Willie IS a role player. His role is to play every snap. I see no reason why Willie's 'role' would change AT ALL if he returns for 2006.

Personally, I think it is time for Willie to sign a 4 year deal with us (through 2009) so doen't need to go through this each year.

That way his contract would end at the end of the decade (The 10th year of Belichick), along with Green, Vrabel, Colvin and Wilfork.

Last edited:
A few questions:

1. What date does the first phase of free agency start? 2/15? I know the first phase ends the week before the draft.

2. When will a firm 2006 cap amount be given? Seems like it should be before the FA period starts. How else will team know how much they have to either dump or spend?

3. when is draft weekend? is it the third or lsat weekend in april?

PATSNUTme said:
A few questions:

1. What date does the first phase of free agency start? 2/15? I know the first phase ends the week before the draft.

2. When will a firm 2006 cap amount be given? Seems like it should be before the FA period starts. How else will team know how much they have to either dump or spend?

3. when is draft weekend? is it the third or lsat weekend in april?

1) Teams can re-sign their own players at any time. They have to be below the 2006 cap amount prior to March 2nd. The start of the 1st stretch of free agency (which includes RFAs) starts on March 3rd.

2) A firm cap amount is usually set 1 week before the start of free agency.
This is to allow teams time to get below the cap.

3) The draft is, I believe, April 22nd and 23rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes