SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Beer and the drinking thereof.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,910
    ---
    Sitting in the sun in Oxford this lunch-time drinking a pint of the White Horse Brewery's "Wayland Smithy" bitter with an old friend -- wonderful! A soft "red" beer, not too strong (4.4 % ABV) but with lots of flavour and beautifully balanced.

A tiny little brewery in a village fifteen miles from Oxford, with no web site to link to, but one mention from the Beer Advocate:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13295/28859

2. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5
    ---
    Mostly for Keegs as I know he's a big fan, but for anyone who's fallen in love with the Dogfish Head IPAs, I just found some new Dogfish offerings at Whole Foods - the Immort and the Raison d'Etre and for as much as I've fallen for the 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs (and the props Keegs gave the Palo Santo Marron brown Ale) I decided to try both even though they cited a bit of a "fruity" addition in both (the Raison is beet sugar and green raisins, the Immort is oak, maple, and vanilla). Unless you really like very sweet, fruity beers, I'd highly recommend avoiding both. The Raison d'Etre is not too bad for what it is, a nice, sweeter brown and certainly drinkable, but the Immort, honestly, I'm having my first, and contemplating giving away the other 3 (yeah, not only is it pretty craptacular, but it's also really expensive and sold in 4 packs at $4/bottle...after 1/4 of my first, I'm honestly thinking about getting them to pay me to drink the other 3 3/4). The Immort almost tastes like a smoked walnut shell, and what could have been vanilla and oak turned into a very strange infusion of maple (but mostly walnut undertones) with some of the worst elements of vanilla to pile on. These guys do absolutely amazing things with ale and hops, but I'm now VERY leery about what happens when they try to overthink things and probably wouldn't deviate from their typical IPA offerings in the future.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22
    ---
    Thanks for the review... I have yet to try the Raison and probably won't....
    But i did purchase a single Immort and thought it was decent. i don't remember it that well and just thouht it was decent "strong" beer but nothing to write home about.

I recently purchased one bottle of the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (18%ABV) so we'll see how that goes. I hear good things about it. Unfortunately, it's another "10 dollar beer".

I'm going to have to say that the 90 min ipa is probably the best beer ive had yet, with Palo Santo Marron and Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA coming really close...http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/three-floyds-dreadnaught-imperial-ipa/8933/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  4. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5
    ---
    To me the Immort (and maybe I just got a weird batch) is like a single malt that is way too peaty. The combination of the oak and maple in this one almost emulated the flavor of peat, far too woody for my taste, with a bit of extra smokiness to hammer the point home. I may have gotten a bunk batch but I can't say I'll ever try another to find out. I have a hunch the other 3 will stay in my fridge for quite some time but maybe it was just my palate today. Stout, however, sounds interesting as long as they don't fruit it up too much!

5. BritPat

BritPat Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +973
    ---
    Don't really fancy trawling through the previous 19 pages.....can you get European alcohol in the States? If so, what?

6. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +5,910
    ---
    Simple answer: yes.

I don't generally buy European beer (seems pointless when there are so many great American beers to try) but I've noticed that Bass, Hoegaarden, Guinness and Boddingtons are commonly available on tap and there is a pretty wide selection of British, Irish and Belgian beers (e.g. Fullers, Sam Smiths, Smithwicks, Kriek, Duvel) in even a moderately sized liquor store.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  7. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +5,910
    ---
    An evening's beer research in the Porterhouse, Temple Bar in Dublin. Nice food and the winner was:

[​IMG]

"When things go wrong and will not come right,
    Though you do the best you can,
    When life looks black as the hour of night -
    A pint of plain is your only man."

Flann O'Brien

8. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I have been fortunate enough to be born in the beer capital of the world (Czech Republic). We drink more beer per capita then any country in the world. Now that doesn't give me any expertise on beer, but if I had to pick my favorite beer it would be "Zlatopramen". In english means "The Golden Stream". It's brewed in Usti nad Labem, which is located in the bohemian valley. The best hops in the world are grown there. I remember as a kid traveling with my father and at times you would see nothing but hops for miles and miles. If you really want the best hops, go to a city called Zatec. It's about an hour ride by car west from Prague. It's an ancient city with a great brewerey, unbelievable history and the people are great.

Attached Files:

9. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
  10. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +5,910
    ---
  11. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Any recommendations for a good seasonal beer? How about your best pumpkin or autumn ale?

12. gomezcat

gomezcat Grumpy Englishman. Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14
    ---
    There are some Christmas ales about and I imagine that you can get similar in the States. I'm not a massive fan of them, but something like Young's Christmas Pudding is seasonal at least. This review is reasonably fair:

Young's Christmas Pudding from The Ram Brewery

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  13. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +5,910
    ---
    Samuel Adams White Ale ("Ale brewed with spices especially for Spring"). Excellent beer at the end of a long and challenging week. It's a seasonal beer -- just a bit of a different season! (It may be 25 degrees, but that's "Spring" here in New England, apparently.)

14. JD10367

JD10367 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Newcastle
    Heineken Dark (if they still make it)
    Foster's
    anything from Sam Adams
    Killian's Red
    anything if it's on tap

15. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249
    ---
    Anyone try Chinese Snow? It just became the no. 1 selling beer in the world.

16. gomezcat

gomezcat Grumpy Englishman. Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14
    ---
    Hi JD. We get some Sam Adams over here, but not on draught. I don't think I've ever seen Heineken dark. :confused: