PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB... let Richard Seymour become a free agent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm telling you... he really doesn't have that big an impact on your D-line.

This is a public service announcement from the Denver Broncos.

Still a year away. Hopefully we can get it done this offseason though.

oldrover said:
I'm telling you... he really doesn't have that big an impact on your D-line.

hahaha, I was about to come on here screaming NO NO NO! hope they get it done this year so its not a distraction in the summer time

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
I thought he signed a 1 year deal?

No. What happened was that Seymour got a 1 time raise in his salary. Similar to what happened to Bobby Hamilton, Otis Smith and Anthony Pleasant after the 2001 SB.

Seymour is under contract through 2006, at which time his contract expires. Here is where things get interesting.

The two scenarios are:
1) IF the league has extended the CBA, then Seymour would become an unrestricted free agent and, more than likely, be Franchised by the Patriots.

2) If the CBA is NOT extended, any player with less than 6 years of service will effectively be an exclusive rights free agent, unless they are cut from their team. That means that Seymour (and many others) wouldn't be an unrestricted free agent and he would be "stuck" on the Pats for at least 1 more year.

Hope the revision helps.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Seymour is under contract through 2006, at which time his contract expires. Here is where things get interesting. IF the league has extended the CBA, then Seymour would become an unrestricted free agent and, more than likely, be Franchised by the Patriots. However, if the CBA is NOT extended, the Seymour will NOT be an unrestricted free agent because he won't have 6 years of service time. That clause goes into affect if the CBA isn't extended. Players with less than 6 years of service time won't be eligible to be free agents unless they are cut by their respective team. In other words, any player with less than 6 years experience would basically become an exclusive rights free agent. And there will be a lot of unhappy players.

This was the most confusing paragraph I've ever read in my life. And I'm in PHILOSOPHY, man.

;) :D

CheerforTom said:
This was the most confusing paragraph I've ever read in my life. And I'm in PHILOSOPHY, man.

;) :D

Try understanding the tiebreaker procedures. :eek:

oldrover said:
You know, I didn't see the fine print this morning when I read your post. I thought it were best if I just ignore the post. That's what I get for jumping to conclusions.

Like my father always says, "ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT AT THE BOTTOM."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey