PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barf Alert: CHB Elected to HOF

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Dan Shaughnessy headed to Baseball Hall of Fame as winner of Spink Award

Longtime Boston Globe writer Dan Shaughnessy was named winner of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award on Tuesday, earning him a spot in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He will be presented with the award in Cooperstown, New York, on July 23 during Hall of Fame induction weekend, and included as part of the Hall’s permanent exhibit that honors writers and broadcasters.

Shaughnessy received 185 of the 417 votes cast by the Baseball Writers Association of America to beat out the late Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Juan Verne, a Spanish syndicated columnist.

“I want to thank the Boston chapter for nominating me, particularly Nick Cafardo,” Shaughnessy said in a story at Boston.com. “It’s a great honor and I have so much regard for those who have won this award in the past. It’s staggering to be included with those names.”

Shank.jpg

He has the most punchable face I've ever seen. I would have relished the opportunity to beat him to a pulp even if I had never read one of his articles just based on the way he looks alone. He looks like a fat-faced Napoleon Dynamite.

He has the most punchable face I've ever seen. I would have relished the opportunity to beat him to a pulp even if I had never read one of his articles just based on the way he looks alone. He looks like a fat-faced Napoleon Dynamite.
He definitely would have been picked last in any and all neighborhood games.

Your mom went to college.

Your mom went to college.
You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys?

Congratulations to Shaughnessy.

Hopefully Carl Everett will present the award.

It's amazing they even have a writing award named for Leon Spinks, but what do I know?

He apparently beat out a dead guy and a guy who speaks Spanish for the award, which sounds about right.

This is a post on the subject from the Sons of Sam Horn board today from someone who claims to know: "Just for my own edification because I need to see this written out somewhere, let me say that while the Spink award is given by the BBWAA, and the presentation of the award is held at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony, SHAUGHNESSY IS IN WAY BEING INDUCTED OR ENSHRINED INTO THE BASEBALL HALL OF FAME (the poster's capitalization, not mine.). People say that Spink award recipients are ...HoFers all the time, but they are in no way in the hall of fame any more than baseball players like Sadaharu Oh is or Pete Rose are, in that their names are spelled out on some type of surface in some location within the walls of the HoF building or in the way Dustin Pedroia is a HOFer because his name is written on a plaque of past MVP award-winners within the HoF, or the way any one of us would be (a) HOFer if we scrawled our names on the stall door of the HoF men's room." I have no idea if this is correct or not. Just delivering the message (which I loved, by the way!)

Recessive genetics personified:

LFTdPww.jpg

Hopefully Carl Everett will present the award.

It's amazing they even have a writing award named for Leon Spinks, but what do I know?

He apparently beat out a dead guy and a guy who speaks Spanish for the award, which sounds about right.
I thought it was in honor of Michael? :p

I guess I don't really get why this is here. It's for baseball, he's a hack, and knows nothing about football.

Might as well start posting threads for Grammy award winners or Booker Prize winners. Who gives a ****?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back