PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

August 7 in Pats History: Marquise Hill

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
Marquise Hill

For the second time in three days we have a former Patriot that died too young.

In memory of Marquise Hill, who would have been 39 today.
Born August 7, 1982 in New Orleans
Patriot DE, 2004-2006; uniform #91
Pats 2nd round (63rd overall) selection of the 2004 draft, from LSU
Died May 28, 2007 at the age of 24 in Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana

920x920.jpg

Marquise Hill Bio | LSU Sports

June 14, 2004:

Aug 16, 2004:
Patriots.com: If you weren't playing football what would you be doing?​
Hill: Mortician. My grandmother did it off and on and it was my major in college.​

Patriots.com: Cedric Cobbs says you're the biggest talker on the team. Do you have a rebuttal to that?​
Hill: Uh…. Yeah I probably am. I'm the "Mouth of the South" so I talk a lot.​

Patriots.com: Do you have a favorite Mardi Gras experiences that you can tell us?​
Hill: When they start filming "Girls Gone Wild" down there. It was crazy man. That's Sin City. It was ridiculous.​

April 24, 2004:
Q: Because of Coach Saban's close relationship with Coach Belichick, did you have a strong idea that maybe the Patriots would take you?​
MH: Not really, but I'm pretty familiar with their system so it was one of the safer moves they could make. I didn't really think about it. I was just twiddling my thumbs, waiting to get picked.​

June 22, 2004:
Q: I thought I would ask this question since Patriots radio was shortened last week. I wanted to know what you thought Jarvis Green's role would be this year after showing some promise at the end this past year. I also wanted to know what you thought Marquise Hill's role would be this year. Finally, can you give all the readers a first impression you got from mini camp on this years rookies and the players that we didn't see much last year.​

PFW: Jarvis Green will continue to see his play time increase. He played about half the snaps last year. He will likely be a regular in sub-packages as an interior pass rusher and then will rotate in on the end in the base 3-4. I have no idea what Hill will do. It's impossible to judge linemen during mini-camp when there are no pads on. Just watching him in some drills, I didn't think he looked very quick. I thought Guss Scott looked decent playing alongside Rodney Harrison with Eugene Wilson out of action. Benjamin Watson and Cedric Cobbs were slowed by injury. I think P.K. Sam made a positive impression. Christian Morton is fast, but I'd say he faces an uphill battle to make the club. I think Tully Banta-Cain is the player with the potential to make the biggest jump forward from last year to this.​

Nov 15, 2004:
Q: Has Marquise Hill played at all this year?​

PFW: Hill dressed for the opener against Indy but did not play. He's been one of the inactives in every game since.​

Dec 14, 2004:
Q: Do the Patriots ever play a 4 3 defense? Why did the Patriots sign Marquise Hill with a 2nd round pick? Was he just an insurance policy on Ty Warren or do you think the Pats have plans to move him to LB?​

PFW: The Pats play some 4-3 defense in just about every game. They are a multiple front team who mixes and matches personnel. Their base D is a 3-4, but they certainly line up with four linemen at times as well. Hill is a guy they drafted on potential, apparently. I find it strange that a second round pick hasn't even smelled the field, but they drafted him with next year in mind and by all accounts, he came out too early. Belichick certainly had enough info on him since he played for Nick Saban at LSU, but I have to question spending a 2 on a guy with no chance to contribute as a rookie even if he is a defensive lineman. I've heard that he would have been a top 15 pick this year if he stayed in school so take that for what it's worth. P.K. Sam came out too early, but didn't get picked until the 5th round. Perhaps they view Hill as a 2005 first round pick and if they are right I will say I was wrong. But I want my second round picks on the field as rookies. He will never play linebacker. He's a freakin' giant.​

Sept 25, 2005:
The Patriots are scrambling. They entered the game minus injured cornerbacks Randall Gay and Tyrone Poole, who didn't make the trip. Cornerback Duane Starks went down with a sore shoulder on the first play of the game, but he was able to return. Then, bad things started to happen. Strong safety Rodney Harrison suffered what is believed to be a torn ACL midway through the first quarter. Left tackle Matt Light suffered either a fracture near an ankle or an Achilles injury in the second quarter.​

Naturally, the Patriots weren't saying how bad the injuries were but they were bad. Defensive end Marquise Hill sustained an injury that forced him to leave the locker room on crutches with a foot in a boot. Yet, instead of panicking, the Patriots generally seem to become more focused when facing such adversity.​

Feb 10, 2006:
Marquise Hill – Hill has been one of the most disappointing draft picks of the Bill Belichick/Scott Pioli era. A second round selection in 2004, Hill has done next to nothing in his two years with the Patriots. He was considered raw coming into the league but Hill hasn't shown the progression the team was hoping to see from him. In only eight games this season, he registered nine tackles and was inactive more than he was on the field. That's not a good sign for Hill. He really needs to step up his game in training camp this year if he expects to be on the roster in 2006. If the Patriots sign a veteran defensive end in free agency or select a young end in the draft, Hill's chances of being in New England next season will become even more remote.​

May 28, 2007:

May 30, 2007:

May 31, 2007:

June 5, 2007:
The 24-year-old Hill is survived by his mother, Sherry Hill, his fiancee Inell Benn, and his 2-year-old son Mashy.​

Most of his Patriots teammates attended his wake last Friday night. Several stayed for his funeral the following day at a church in the city's Uptown neighborhood.​

Hill helped relatives rebuild in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005. He was home for Memorial Day weekend when he and a woman friend went for a ride on a personal watercraft without life vests, and they fell into the water.​

The woman survived, but Hill drowned in an area of swirling currents. The Orleans Parish coroner said Hill may have had a concussion that left him disoriented.​

Oct 12, 2007:
"He just wanted to make you laugh all the time," Patriots cornerback Randall Gay said about fallen friend and teammate Marquise Hill. "That was his goal in life, to make friends and to lift your spirits up if you were having a down day. Now that Marquise is not here, it's tough to find somebody because you don't have that anymore. There's nobody else in this locker room really that could ever replace that personality that he had."​

AR-705290350.jpg

Today in Patriots History
August 7th Trivia

August 7th is a rarity, the birth date of just one former Patriots player (as far as I know).

nfl-game-program_2003-08-07_nyg-ne.jpg
Newcomer Rosevelt Colvin set the tone by forcing a fumble on his second play with the New England Patriots, and their defense never let up.​

The Patriots had seven sacks and forced four turnovers, opening their preseason with a 26-6 victory over the New York Giants on a rainy Thursday night.​

"He's been kind of terrorizing our offense all training camp," New England quarterback Tom Brady said. "He's a very savvy football player."​

Colvin, a linebacker, was one of four free agents signed after last season to make an impact. Cornerback Tyrone Poole had an interception; safety Rodney Harrison had five tackles in the first quarter; and fullback Fred McCrary caught a touchdown pass.​

The Patriots, eliminated from playoff contention on the last day of the regular season, had one of the NFL's worst rushing defenses.​

So they concentrated on defensive players in free agency, signing Colvin from Chicago and Poole from Denver. From San Diego, they added McCrary and Harrison.​

Colvin forced a fumble by Barber, and Ted Johnson recovered on the New York 29-yard line.​

Two plays later, Brady threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Troy Brown.​

Later in the quarter, Poole intercepted a pass by Collins intended for Shockey and returned it 11 yards to the Giants 10. That led to the first of Adam Vinatieri's four field goals, a 25-yarder.​

Other pro football players born on this date with New England connections:

Jerry Rush, 79 (8/7/42)
Pats 1st round (7th overall) selection of the 1965 AFL draft, from Michigan State
The defensive tackle was also drafted 25th overall in the second round of the NFL draft by the Lions. Rush stayed close to his hometown of Pontiac and played in 90 games with 65 starts for Detroit from 1965 to 1971.

Bill Thomas, 72 (8/7/49)
Boston College, class of '72
Bill was the 26th overall pick of the 1972 draft by Dallas. The running back and kick returner never fully recovered from a college shoulder injury, playing in 27 games over three seasons for the Cowboys, Oilers and Chiefs.

Ken Steinmetz (8/7/24-10/13/95)
Born in Providence; Aldrich High School (Warwick Rhode Island), class of '43
Ken was only twenty years old when he began playing pro football as a wingback for the Boston Yanks in 1944.

Some of the other pro football players born on August 7 include:

Alan Page, 76 (8/7/45)
Hall of Fame Vikings DT was named to nine Pro Bowls and six All-Pro teams.

John Gilliam, 76 (8/7/45)
One of the NFL's premier receivers in the early seventies, Patcheye went to four consecutive Pro Bowls and averaged 18.5 yards per catch over 11 seasons.

Chuck Drazenovich (1927-1992)
The linebacker/fullback played for Washington from 1950 to 1959, and also went to four straight Pro Bowls.

Shane Lechler, 45 (8/7/76)
The Oakland Raiders punter played in 286 games, and went to seven pro bowls during his 18-year career.

Beanie Wells, 33 (8/7/88)
The running back wanted out of Arizona and was looking forward to a nice payday once he was able to hit free agency, but instead knee injuries and then an Achilles tear ended the career of the former first round draft pick at the age of 24.

Jess Rodriguez (8/7/01-10/12/83)
The tailback and his younger brother were the first of just three players in NFL history that were born in Spain.

Lenny Sachs (8/7/97-10/27/42)
The only player in NFL history that came from Chicago's American College of Physical Education. I would have thought a school like that would be a powerhouse in sports.

Samuel 'Smoke' Salemi (8/7/03-10/29/07)
The wingback from the twenties is included on this list simply because I like the name.

RIP, Hill.

A sad ending to his young life...RIP...But this was a bad pick (Chris Barmore redux?) in a draft Full of them after the first round:

Dec 14, 2004:
You ask, we answer. Here is this week's installment of Ask PFW with editor Bryan Morry.
www.patriots.com
www.patriots.com
Q: Do the Patriots ever play a 4 3 defense? Why did the Patriots sign Marquise Hill with a 2nd round pick? Was he just an insurance policy on Ty Warren or do you think the Pats have plans to move him to LB?

PFW: The Pats play some 4-3 defense in just about every game. They are a multiple front team who mixes and matches personnel. Their base D is a 3-4, but they certainly line up with four linemen at times as well. Hill is a guy they drafted on potential, apparently. I find it strange that a second round pick hasn't even smelled the field, but they drafted him with next year in mind and by all accounts, he came out too early. Belichick certainly had enough info on him since he played for Nick Saban at LSU, but I have to question spending a 2 on a guy with no chance to contribute as a rookie even if he is a defensive lineman. I've heard that he would have been a top 15 pick this year if he stayed in school so take that for what it's worth. P.K. Sam came out too early, but didn't get picked until the 5th round. Perhaps they view Hill as a 2005 first round pick and if they are right I will say I was wrong. But I want my second round picks on the field as rookies. He will never play linebacker. He's a freakin' giant.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back