Asante's dad should keep quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
or at least be more careful with words.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=183692

Interviewed in Metrowest by Albert Breer, Jasper Samuel (a former cornerback in college) does the right thing by saying if the press wants to know what Asante thinks about being tagged, they should ask Asante, but then he implies Asante has peaked already.

He was 25 (starting the season), and I know when I was an athlete, I peaked at 25. I felt he would, too.

No, no, Jasper. You say he has not yet hit his peak, and is getting better every year, and expect him to be phenomenal in the coming years.

Talk about a father screwing over his son.

Interviewed in Metrowest by Albert Breer, Jasper Samuel (a former cornerback in college) does the right thing by saying if the press wants to know what Asante thinks about being tagged, they should ask Asante, but then he implies Asante has peaked already.

He was 25 (starting the season), and I know when I was an athlete, I peaked at 25. I felt he would, too.

No, no, Jasper. You say he has not yet hit his peak, and is getting better every year, and expect him to be phenomenal in the coming years.

Yea, Jasper, you peaked at 25...that's why nobody's ever heard of you!

Your son has the talent to be a top-notch CB in this league for another 5-8 years!

What a dumb thing to say!

ADPF

By being honest.

I'm not sure he was being honest, in the sense that he has the situation judged correctly.

This is only his perception.

I have seen nice imporvement in Asante over the past 2-3 seasons, and I think that will continue. My guess is he will be at the top of his game at around 27, 28 years old and that will continue until he is 31, 32 years old.

Again, my spec and Jasper's are just that - spec.

From another perspective, though, Jasper's comments comparing a state-of-the-art NFL athlete of the current era to a guy who played DIII some 30 years ago was kind out in left field.

And it could hurt his son's bargaining position.

Sounds more to me like a guy who is misusing terms.

I think he means "came into my own" or "matured".

I really doubt that any team looking into Asante is going to be swayed by his dad's words, anyway. Nothing to see here.

I really doubt that any team looking into Asante is going to be swayed by his dad's words, anyway. Nothing to see here.

Exactly. +1.

Plus, I'm sure the Patriots would happily pay Samuel his money if he simply maintains the current standard and doesn't improve over the next 3 or 4 years. If this kid improves anymore, the rest of the league is in trouble.

I know that I'd take 10 interceptions a year in a heart beat.

While I agree that dad should keep out of it, I think the term "peak" is taken the wrong way.

A guy can improve his level of play over the first several years in the NFL. If Samuels has "peaked" that doesn't mean his level of play will start to go down. He could stay at his "peak" for the next five years or more.

Because the Patriots tagged him, it tells me that they now think he is a very good starting corner. If they didn't, they would have let him go. They aren't gong to give him that kind of money, even for one year, if they didn't think he was worth it. It doesn't matter who else is out there, they tagged Samuels because of what they think of Samuels, no more - no less.

Gee thanks Dad would you like to screw my wife for an encore?

Just a poor choice of words by his dad -- that's all.

If this kid improves anymore, the rest of the league is in trouble.

I know that I'd take 10 interceptions a year in a heart beat.

The ints certainly can change a game, but they are all about opportunities to catch the ball. I think it's his well-documented history of tipped passes that would attract potential suitors, moreso than the actual number of ints.

He's learned how to play the CB position (how to sit on routes, etc.). I think this is what his dad was referring to.

"He was 25 (starting the season), and I know when I was an athlete, I peaked at 25. I felt he would, too."

I just re-read that and it isn't bad at all. Daddy said that he FELT his son would peak at 25, felt being in the past tense. He's over the moon that his son proved him wrong, I bet.

If Samuels has "peaked" that doesn't mean his level of play will start to go down. He could stay at his "peak" for the next five years or more.
Wouldn't that be a plateau?

Perhaps Jasper did use "peak" in the wrong way. So what? He still said it. Try telling your wife she looks fat, and then say you misused the word fat, that you meant she was pleasing to the eye. Good luck.

Doesn't matter why he said it. He shouldn't have. And it doesn't matter how much the Patriots will pay attention.

Don't get all freaked out about this, about why's and wherefore's and intent and all that, or that it means anything about Samuel's performance. It is simply something a father should not say about his son who is looking for a big contract.

He should have said his son is getting better every year, not that his son has peaked..

Last edited:
Does anyone really think what Assante's dumb dad said here is going to play any part in negotiations? I don't. I doubt BBioli decide what value they'll ut on a player based on what that players dad says.

I agree, maybe he meant "reaching his peak"... sure signs that the off season jitters have started to set in. The guy didn't say anything wrong, find something else to complain about.

Last edited:
Does anyone really think what Assante's dumb dad said here is going to play any part in negotiations? I don't. I doubt BBioli decide what value they'll ut on a player based on what that players dad says.

The Pats are pros.....They have there own value system....sorry dad...:D

He meant...puked

How would Dad know about peaking if he only played college ball, or did he also play some minor league football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back