PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article on Patriots' Elite Man-Match Cover1 Defensive Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
How'd the elite man match do vs tannehill in January in Foxboro late when they needed a stop?:rolleyes:
Not as bad as their "performance" vs Fitzy the week before...now that one was a real feckin disgrace, and forever put to rest any talk of any kind of "elite"(snicker) Boogermen defense.

Well said and I’m glad you brought up that Chiefs loss. Don’t think they could of played any better on the defensive part of the ball. Still should of won it despite horrific offensive play. Refs jobbed them with the Nkeal Harry call as well as the Kelce fumble. Probably the defense’s best game of the year.
3rd and 19 says What?

Here's an article of some players that need to step up. I'm confident Winovich can step in. Has to prove he can do it a full season and also be well rounded beyond just pass rushing. JoeJuan I had written off as a bust but I could be talked into him filling some of Duron Harmon's shoes. Bentley I was surprised to be reminded he put up 44 quiet tackles last year and in 2018 he started the first 3 games with Hightower and KVN before he tore his arm.

Patriots free agency: Three defensive players key to softening losses

Yeah, you wagered goofy avatars because you were so confident that youd win.

Ive predicted for months that there will be an NFL season this year. Since youre in doubt ,I wager $50 on a 2020 NFL season.

Good God man I never wanted to bet on whether there’d be a season played. I wanted to bet on whether Jackson or Big Ben would have a better year, which if you recall from a few posts ago was how this conversation started.

Seems there's a good correlation between playing aggressive man to man D and being a good winning team. I do think ToddB will have the Bucs ready on that defense, they just drafted a good safety.

Good God man I never wanted to bet on whether there’d be a season played. I wanted to bet on whether Jackson or Big Ben would have a better year, which if you recall from a few posts ago was how this conversation started.

IF there was a 2020 according to you.

There will be a season. Put your $50 up. Then we move on to AFCN.

IF there was a 2020 according to you.

There will be a season. Put your $50 up. Then we move on to AFCN.

I mean...I agree that there will most likely be a 2020 NFL season in some form...? I hope there will be and I don't want to bet on it? That's not what I was proposing in the first place?

The NBA is already figuring out how to come back so that makes me think the NFL will also figure something out, although I'm interested to see what happens when a player tests positive for COVID.

I was just saying that if you want to think about betting on Big Ben vs LJ then you can wait a few months since it's only May. Since you are either disingenuously changing the bet (or sadly if your reading comprehension really is this bad), I'm guessing you are just trying to bail out since you know you'll lose.

I mean...I agree that there will most likely be a 2020 NFL season in some form...? I hope there will be and I don't want to bet on it? That's not what I was proposing in the first place?

Because I proposed that bet to you in the form of $50 which youre now backpeddling since I made you step up or fold.

We’ll just have to see what the winner decides to do!

Think about it. No need to decide until we see if there will actually be a season.

There will be a season guaranteed. Youre just ignorant.

The NBA is already figuring out how to come back so that makes me think the NFL will also figure something out, although I'm interested to see what happens when a player tests positive for COVID.

I dont care about the NBA and its just as I suspected. Youre already making plans for covid20.

I was just saying that if you want to think about betting on Big Ben vs LJ then you can wait a few months since it's only May. Since you are either disingenuously changing the bet (or sadly if your reading comprehension really is this bad), I'm guessing you are just trying to bail out since you know you'll lose.

Put your $50 up on the 2020 season and we go from there.

Simple as that. Waffling and weaseling dont cut it.

I would not bet me either.

Save your pennies for masks, toilet paper, paper towels and Clorox wipes.

Pennsylvania announces reopening guidelines for pro sports

Saints to open preseason in Los Angeles with late game; NFL announces preseason schedule

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/05/n...-for-giants-jets-games-its-possible-says-gov-

Holy crap I didn't think it was possible for a discussion to go off the rails so quickly but I underestimated you. I have no idea why we are talking about betting if the season will happen other than you desperately latching on to a throwaway comment I made.

The bet is Big Ben vs LJ. $50 sure. Take it or leave it. I agree with you that the season will go on as scheduled and don't want to bet on that.

If you want, I will also bet you that one NFL player will test positive for COVID19 over the course of the season.

This is a darn good D. They’ve upgraded the run D personnel, so we’ll see improvement there,..

I "liked" your post and analysis. We had a top defense last year, and should have one again.
=======================
However, please explain how we have upgraded our run defense. Unless Onwenu is a DT, I don't see the improvement. We lost Shelton, Roberts and Van Noy (who played some inside). We also lost Collins, although that may not matter much with regard to run defense.

I don't think that Allen is as good as Shelton. Uche may be a great rookie, but unless he is a competitor for DROY, he won't be as good as Van Noy as a rookie.

I suppose that increased reps for Bentley should make up for Roberts.

Are we counting on Cowart being a great help inside? I don't see why.

Perhaps, you counting on Copeland to be a difference maker.

I see us acquiring at least one more player to help with run defense.

Winovich needs to stay on the outside.

Part of the issue is calling all these players "linebackers". List Winovich as a DE and the issue goes away. At very least, we should list Winovich as an EDGE player.

I haven't seen enough from Bentley to suggest he's going to be a major part of this defense.

I don't think that replacing Roberts is all that "major".

I don't think that replacing Roberts is all that "major".

I would hope Bentley can do more beyond just replacing Elandon's snaps and take even more snaps that KVN and Jaime Collins are leaving. I have zero concerns about replacing Elandon Roberts. Been pretty consistent here that I think Elandon was an absolute lousy linebacker. Always late, misses tackles, low awareness, basically a sieve when playing linebacker. I give him kudos for being a team guy and trying fullback last year but he was like Richards at safety for me, just a total waste of space. I am GLAD Elandon isn't here to mess up linebacker for us anymore.

Part of the issue is calling all these players "linebackers". List Winovich as a DE and the issue goes away. At very least, we should list Winovich as an EDGE player.

Agree. But then to be clear, was Collins an edge player then. And was KVN also an edge player. I think Winovich, Uche, and Jennings can help offset what KVN and Collins did.

Captain Stone found an analysis that is praiseworthy of the Patriots to be "funny" ???

Shocked I tell you. SHOCKED!

Yeah, on the PatsPicker site I move Wino from the Linebackers to Defensive End and have both Uche & Jennings with the Outside Linebackers, although Jennings or even perhaps Hightower might take more than just a few snaps at DE as well...

Agree. But then to be clear, was Collins an edge player then. And was KVN also an edge player. I think Winovich, Uche, and Jennings can help offset what KVN and Collins did.
Hightower and Van Noy were on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes