SOURCE:Providence Journal

SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

article: "Character criticisms of Cam Newton, the Patriots' new Captain America, reek of racial bias

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DropKickFlutie, Jul 6, 2020.

1. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,867
    I'm fascinated by how the season will play out with a starting black QB in Boston.

Factors include:
    - A proud, outspoken flamboyant black QB who dresses like Dennis Rodman sometimes, posts on twitter and instagram with unusual font letters, and celebrates a lot on the field
    - Same QB is also a former NFL MVP, #1 NFL draft pick, Heisman Trophy Winner, and our OT Newhouse who used to play in Carolina, has said Cam was always the first player in working and last one out.
    - Boston has a history of parts of the fanbase who are racist as evidenced by about 50 national articles in just the last 2 months from the Red Sox admitting racist taunts in Fenway and a half dozen players and Michael Wilbon corroborating.
    - A rabid regional media and regional fanbase that also loves to over-analyze everything and also will turn like a mob on players ocassionally
    - You see the history of how Boston treated people like Renteria, Kyrie Irving, Manny Ramirez, David Price, Dice-K, Ray Allen, Jacoby Brissett. Not sure what to call this, as maybe just a bad "fit" with Boston, or just a lower tolerance bar for minority athletes who are a little weird or basically not 100% perfect on and off the field.

USA Today:
    Character criticisms of Cam Newton, the Patriots' new Captain America, reek of racial bias

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Sliplady

Sliplady Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +346
    I am so sick of all this crap. Not every little speck of dust can be attributed to racism. Does it exist? Yes, and thats so sad. We need to work together to stop it. Whats just as stupid is finding racism under every rock just to get media clicks. Enough already. Let Cam be Cam. Criticism of his game is fair just like it is with every other player. Stop playing the frikin race card every time. I am actually excited to see what his personality brings to this team.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,974
    The rumblings behind the scenes in North Carolina aren't driven by race but by legit criticism. Guy is not an MVP when it comes to his personal life, but whatever...tons of athletes are and I think I'd prefer not to know much about their personal lives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  4. oldrover

oldrover "You're gonna have to serve somebody..." PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,670
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Lavictoire

Lavictoire Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Giselle dresses Brady, he looks stupid sometimes like that MET outfit. Cam looks even stupider with his outlandish outfits. He screams for attention. Boo!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58,354
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
  7. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +5,738
    I can't believe people are commenting on Brady's and Cam's outfits.

Anyway--Cam will have a better receiving group hopefully for a few simple reasons.

1. Asiasi and Keene will be an upgrade over LaCosse and Izzo.
    2. Losing Dorsett doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
    3. I'll take an older Edleman over a broken rib Edelman.
    4. I'll take a healthy Sanu over a Sanu with a high ankle sprain.
    5. I'll take a N'Keal Harry who is actually available to play over a Harry soaking in the tub.

For these 5 reasons, the Patriots WR core should be better than last year's core.

Now add to that:

1. The starting center is back.
    2. Isaiah Wynn replaces Marshall Newhouse.
    3. Shaq isn't hurt.
    4. Cannon isn't hurt.

And the receiving/OL units are much improved.

Don't know if the passing game will improve, I tend to doubt it, but that all depends on the QB.

Unless of course all these players get hurt again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. amfootball

amfootball Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +838
    This is laying the foundation for when Bill cuts him in TC.

9. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,784
    The most beloved Boston athlete in my lifetime is David Ortiz and Pedro for a few year absolutely electrified the city. Brady gets criticized all the time by local media and even this message board despite being the greatest player in NFL history. Boston clearly has racists just like every other city in the country but to act like they will not accept a talented player because of their race is nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,092
    To nobody in particular...

How about he gets judged on the merits of his work.

If Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes or Kyler Murray were here we wouldn't be having this absurd conversation.

Get off social media, it's turning you all into hypersensitive morons and has you snapping at each other's throats.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. Vindicate

Vindicate Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,181
    Lmao at the comments on his outfit. That's what fashion is these days, folks. Accept it, it's way easier than letting it piss you off.

Also... What exactly are the character concerns here? Dude is a dedicated winner, and I can only imagine that an organization like the Patriots will give him the tools to manage stress better. The Patriots are amazing at that. Unlike Brown and Hernandez, Cam's totally fine off the field. He's not a bad person, he can hold himself. This means the Patriots get to focus solely on his on-the-field consistency, and bettering his confidence.

The Patriots will make sure he doesn't go the route of Matt Ryan - a perennial talent who gets shook wayyyyyy too easily. And the confidence that comes with merely joining an organization that known to bring the best out of players and help them fix that ONE thing they may not be great at, has to already be putting Newton in a good place.

He's also a charity machine. Awesome. That speaks far more about his character than some outfit.

Here's a good article that gleans light on all the stuff he did for Carolina and its community:

Let’s end this ‘Cam Newton is selfish’ narrative

I mean... Did Brady even do this much??

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dingleberry

Dingleberry PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,560
    This is the 2nd time you have used these "abused" players to demonstrate how black athletes cannot get a fair shake in Boston. With all due respect, the example is very simplistic and lazy. But given how accidentally breaking a black crayon might get one called out nowadays...

The Boston media has no problem reaching epic levels of douchebaggery compared to other areas. No doubt. Boston fans can be a bit rabid and over-passionate. Let's look at your examples of downtrodden athletes of our racist past.

Ray Allen. Did the fans abuse him? I am pretty sure the most vicious attacks were by his own former teammates. Ya know, the teammates with darker skin. Did the fans boo him when he returned with the Heat? Of course. Ever heard of Johnny Damon, Roger Clemens, Adam Vinateiri, and so on?

Renteria and DiceK vastly underperformed their huge contracts. And they got booed. So? Go look how Jack Clark, Kevin Stevens, and JD Drew were treated.

Kyrie and David Price are oversensitive weirdos who were shat on. Sort of like Mike Greenwell, Tony Eason, and many others.

Jacoby Brissett? I have never heard anything negative said about him until he started whining like a little Colt today. I have read worse responses about Wes Welker on these boards than we'll ever see about Brissett.

I have to wonder why would anyone weep for the aforementioned non-white athletes and not the white ones. Having the belief that non-white people can't handle the Boston douchebaggery is kinda racist in and of itself if you think about it.

All those athletes may have been treated ****ty, but they were treated equally. Wanting the poor helpless black athlete to be treated differently with kid gloves is racist at its worst, condescending at best.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. DropKickFlutie

Ratings:
    +2,867
    The Panthers fanbase seemed to really like Cam and wished him well in NE

• Like Like x 1
  14. DropKickFlutie

Ratings:
    +2,867
    You sound a lot like this guy

Broncos coach Vic Fangio sorry after saying there is no racism in NFL

15. Dingleberry

Dingleberry PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,560
    I honestly meant to respond to your guilty white original post with respect. I won't click on the link, reading the link tells me enough. Before you make the next leap that I am wearing white sheets, let me state the obvious...there is racism everywhere. No ****. Every city including Boston.

Your tired original post is not an example of it. That's all. I never said there was no racism, never implied it. Those non-white athletes were treated just like their counterpart white athletes.

The pandering and condescension by bringing up false examples of racism is embarrassing. But go on being the great white protector of the helpless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. LuRkeR1978

LuRkeR1978 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Only racists see everything in the world through the lens of race.

Be better, USA Today. (They won't)

• Maybe Not... Maybe Not... x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Hyped

Hyped PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,846
    Add Byrd's speed to the WR corps...and possibly even Jeff Thomas....that is some serious speed. Thomas reminds me of Brandin Cooks....

And Damien Harris in year 2, James White being Cam's safety valve...., and I think a better year for Sony!

18. DropKickFlutie

Ratings:
    +2,867
    I fully expect this topic to be divisive. The same people trashing Newton likely also getting worked up on this topic and saying there is no racial bias towards Newton in New England.

Next up in 3,2,1 is the 'my friend is black' line, or in this case, 'our governor was black 5 years ago' so boston can't possibly be racist.

19. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15,489

he did a pretty good Antonio Cromartie imitation

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  20. Hyped

Hyped PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,846
    Nobody is arguing that Boston ISN'T racist and that there won't be some Pats fans who will hate on Cam. I am seeing folks arguing that most of us will root hard for Cam and hope he does well. It's going to be an awesome season...if there is one. I don't care about the dabs, outfits, and roaring like a lion....I love it all!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1