Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Scotty

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Today is Armistice Day , (Veterans Day in the USA.).

The 11th hour of the 11th Day of the 11th month when the guns fell silent during WW1 to mark the beginning of the ceasefire agreement. Wars are terrible events and a lot of people are impacted one way or another. So today is a day for remembrance.

In the UK there is a religious ceremony (multi denominational) on the second Sunday of November which ends with many Veterans and survivors proudly marching past the Cenotaph memorial paying tribute to the fallen. I have to say that it never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

My thoughts are with them.

tom444

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Suicide in the Trenches by Siegfried Sassoon: Read by Stephen Graham | Remembering World War 1​

I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
World War I is probably the one war I’d least want to fight in with Vietnam as a close second. Months and months in those trenches with dead men, rats, disease, getting gassed… just to gain a yard. Awful.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
World War I is probably the one war I’d least want to fight in with Vietnam as a close second. Months and months in those trenches with dead men, rats, disease, getting gassed… just to gain a yard. Awful.

One of my favorite WW1 movies and the first time I've respected Ricky Shroder in anything.

The-Lost-Battalion-2001-cover.jpg

Pat the Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
War should never be celebrated, but we should always remember those that fought, regardless of which side they fought on.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
War should never be celebrated, but we should always remember those that fought, regardless of which side they fought on.

While stationed in Germany I met an old German Army veteran. He served under Romel and fought the US soldiers in North Africa. He told me that during a Christmas seize fire the US and German troops chatted and traded cigarettes etc... They started shooting at each other the next day. I guess we're all just pawns following orders on some level.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
While stationed in Germany I met an old German Army veteran. He served under Romel and fought the US soldiers in North Africa. He told me that during a Christmas seize fire the US and German troops chatted and traded cigarettes etc... They started shooting at each other the next day. I guess we're all just pawns following orders on some level.
Patton read Rommel’s book. I wonder if they enjoyed a cigar together.

As a side note, Patton is my hero/role model. That man was something else. We should have let him rearm the Panzer divisions and invade the Soviet Union before they developed their own atomic bomb. They would have been quick work and it would have saved a ton of future headaches.

Scotty

One of the reasons why I started the thread was that I was remembering an uncle. I also note that Rommel was mentioned above.

My uncle was a Marine commando and took part in the Raid on Rommel (which was made into a movie) where the Allies tried to capture or kill Rommel in a raid to try and stop the German advances. My uncle survived the raid , and also spent time in Italian and German POW Camps only to be run over after the war had ended by a drunk driver...he was never the same. I only regret that I was too young to learn about his experiences before he passed away.

Scotty

@tom444 .......you are correct they had duff information that Rommel would be there and he was not. All that planing and mens lives for nothing.

Scotty

If anyone is interested there is a memorial in the Highlands of Scotland dedicated to these brave men who trained to be commandos. I visited there approx 1 month ago....very impressive and emotional.

Google "Commando war memorial Spean Bridge Scotland"

1636999257954.png

tom444

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
If anyone is interested there is a memorial in the Highlands of Scotland dedicated to these brave men who trained to be commandos. I visited there approx 1 month ago....very impressive and emotional.

Google "Commando war memorial Spean Bridge Scotland"

View attachment 37639

The monument consists of a cast bronze sculpture of three Commandos in characteristic dress complete with cap comforter, webbing and rifle, standing atop a stone plinth looking south towards Ben Nevis.[3] The soldier at the front is thought to depict Commando Jack Lewington who frequently attended Remembrance Services at the monument during his lifetime. One of the other two soldiers is Frank Nicholls (rank unknown) the other is regimental sergeant major Sidney Hewlett. Originally from the Welsh guards but hand picked to be one of the founding NCOs of the commandos he was also held in high regard and noted several times by Eisenhower.
Commando Memorial - Wikipedia

Clonamery

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Patton read Rommel’s book. I wonder if they enjoyed a cigar together.

As a side note, Patton is my hero/role model. That man was something else. We should have let him rearm the Panzer divisions and invade the Soviet Union before they developed their own atomic bomb. They would have been quick work and it would have saved a ton of future headaches.
Always check your brakes, your tea, your bed when you mouth off at the Russians.