PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arm Strength: Brady vs. Bledsoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When I watch Patriots games the first time around, I rarely pay attention to the zip Brady puts on his passes. Watching the replays, I realize just how hard he throws the ball (or perhaps it just seems fast in comparison to watching Philip Rivers for a game =) )

Bledsoe came into the league known as a cannon-armed quarterback, and he did have a great arm. But I really don't see a huge gap between him and Brady. I see Brady make a lot of passes that very few NFL quarterbacks can make. Despite people saying that he is primarily a smart quarterback who makes good decisions, I don't think it's fair to overlook his arm strength as a major factor for his success. For whatever reason he has always had the reputation of not having an elite arm, but I think much of that is attributed to his first year as a starter when he didn't air it out much.

Anyone else's thoughts/ comments appreciated.

Brady had aweful arm strength for years. It was his major weakness. He has worked on this for six years, and no has a great arm. However, it needs to be rested for much of the week. I would say that Bledsoe had a better arm.

I recall this topic being discussed in the Globe in 2001 when Brady maintained her starting job over a then-healed Drew. I can't recall who wrote the article, but it was commented that what Bledsoe had in pure arm strength and accuracy on the deep ball, Brady made up for with a quick release and good zip on medium range balls.
I have also felt that Bledsoe had 'Wow' factor with the cannon on his arm, and Brady could let it rip with great accuracy at an above average NFL level.

When Bledsoe was here in Dallas, he had a hard time throwing screen passes. Even the times he was successful, I, among many other Dallas fans, were gasping for air b/c he just didn't have much "touch" on them.

After seeing Brady air it out and throw the ball 70 yards in the air a few times this season I don't think anyone can question his arm strength. I remember one of those QB skills competitions and I think they had Bledsoe and Favre and in a contest where all you have to do is throw the ball as far as you can they reached about 65-70 yards. So Brady is right with them.

Whatever the situation used to be, the current verdict is indisputable. He has an extremely good arm, but, more importantly, he has extremely good form and consistency. Watch his passes, screens or deep balls, compared to other top QB's, especially in slow-motion instant-replay.

Manning has more wobble and his form under pressure can be utterly atrocious. Roethlisberger has nowhere near the release speed or force. Favre gets a lot of completions he has no business getting; total gunslinger -- a LOT of power, but dubious degrees of accuracy. Romo has the potential to be the closest. He has moments of sheer brilliance, but he's young and sometimes makes mistakes young QBs make.

But right now, who has better form, consistency, accuracy and power?

I recall this topic being discussed in the Globe in 2001 when Brady maintained her starting job over a then-healed Drew. I can't recall who wrote the article, but it was commented that what Bledsoe had in pure arm strength and accuracy on the deep ball, Brady made up for with a quick release and good zip on medium range balls.
I have also felt that Bledsoe had 'Wow' factor with the cannon on his arm, and Brady could let it rip with great accuracy at an above average NFL level.

Bledsoe was all arm and after that ..........well Hmmmmmm....ok, Bledsoe had great arm strength and after that ............well Hmmmmm. Oh Yeah Bledsoe was tough played once with a broken finger i think.

Brady has more then adequate arm strength for the long bomb and also can throw the out, the screen, the quick crossing pattern, the seam, the end zone corner, and any other throw one can think of.

All of Brady's throws are highly accurate and with more then adequate velocity unless touch is required and then he throws with the touch needed.

Brady beyond his physical abilities brings a full boat of intangibles which is what sets him apart and makes him perhaps the greatest the game has ever seen at the position of quarter back.

Brady had aweful arm strength for years. It was his major weakness. He has worked on this for six years, and no has a great arm. However, it needs to be rested for much of the week. I would say that Bledsoe had a better arm.

Where do you come up with this stuff...Wrong Borges created a myth with all his griping about sideways passes which was rooted in his miss spent youth as a Raiders fan. Brady didn't have receivers who could outrun coverage and go get the ball, so there was little to be gained from him throwing it. But on those rare occasions when we needed it and a receiver slipped through coverage he either nailed them or overthrew them - because it was safer or they simply couldn't outrun his arm. Belichick tried to get him a consistent vertical threat as far back as 2002 but found out sometimes you really can't coach speed. The QB's arm strength was never an issue unless you read too much Borges.

You never come right out and say it, and you now couch it in then and now terms, but you still don't truly appreciate him, and you still think Drew coulda made it work and someone else will once Brady's gone because it's the system and coaching. In this case, it really isn't. Bill and Charlie didn't coach him up, rather he opened their eyes to what a franchise QB could and should be. Association with the player has benefitted themat least as much if not more than association with them has benefitted him. LOL

I think Brady answered any arm strength skeptics long ago but that laser he threw to Gaffney against the Phins should have confirmed it for those remaining doubters. I've always thought the arm strength debate was a bit overblown anyways. Unless you have a noodle arm like Pennington accuracy and reading defenses if way more important.

In 2003 Tom Brady won the longest throw contest in the QB Challenge. He was up against; Peyton Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer, Mike Vick and Doug Flutie. He won it pretty handily.

IMO Brady has held back from using his full arm stregnth for many years.

Certain as a rookie and a 2nd year player he didn't have the strenght he does now but that should be no surprise.

By 2004 I'd say he had as much arm strength as anyone in the league and that continues today - its just that he hasn't had WRs of the caliber of Moss that he could zing passes to and expect them to catch them.

Comparing him to others based on what we see on the field is near impossible. Bledsoe was as strong as any QB I've seen as well and could send a bullet 40 yards downfield putting it where only his WR could bring it in.

Bledsoe however had trouble with his pocket presence and couldn't seem to find his short game (maybe he was TOO strong?) - which eventually became well known and made him very vulnerable in the NFL.

the difference between Brady and Bledsoe can be summed up in this comparison, a sniper riffle and a Howitzer. Both can go extreemly far but you wouldn't use a Howitzer to take one person out a mile away, you would use a 50 cal. sniper riffle. Brady is a 50 cal. Bledsoe is a Howitzer. Bledsoe can throw it out of the stadium but could never dot an eye on a touch pass. Brady has plenty of arm strength to throw the deep ball but can also float a precision pass to the open man over the LB's head. Sometimes all the strength in the world isn't a good thing if you can't aim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back