PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we looking to run the ball??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lets just say.....We happen to lose Givens becasue someone overpays him....
We cannot find any decent WR's as FA's because there aren't any.
We cannot draft any decent WR's because it is supposedly a weak draft in that department.

We do however draft a few big hog OL's and a few RB's.
We look for Corey Dillon to return, healthy and hungry.
We have two decent third down, change of pace backs with Faulk & Pass.

All of that said, is this year the Patriots will transition their game to a ball control, game control, clock control offense based on a running and screen pass attack - while always maintaining the ability to switch to passing game when needed for cmebacks or quick strikes.

Watch for this to develop.

We are not paying Brady $14M a year to be a running team.

However, we must and improve on our running game. This is essential to Brady's health and continued HOF career. He just can't spend as much time on his back as he did in 2005. And the key (as another QB noted) is protection and a running game. Yes, I agree that we need a hog or two to play RG and RT, and a RB of the future.

fgssand said:
Lets just say.....We happen to lose Givens becasue someone overpays him....
We cannot find any decent WR's as FA's because there aren't any.
We cannot draft any decent WR's because it is supposedly a weak draft in that department.

We do however draft a few big hog OL's and a few RB's.
We look for Corey Dillon to return, healthy and hungry.
We have two decent third down, change of pace backs with Faulk & Pass.

All of that said, is this year the Patriots will transition their game to a ball control, game control, clock control offense based on a running and screen pass attack - while always maintaining the ability to switch to passing game when needed for cmebacks or quick strikes.

Watch for this to develop.

We're going to make the OL better to protect Brady. We will continue to try to upgrade at WR like when we tried to get Derrick Mason. We will win or lose on Brady's arm and defense.

The offense we ran in 2004 was the offense we want to run - balanced and able to exploit match-ups. Power running, play action passing, spreading the field with 4 wides, etc. when the situation calls for it. I look for us to try to sure up the running game to get back to that versatility.

We aren't simply going to change the philosophy of being a versatile game plan oriented team because David Givens leaves.

dhamz said:

We aren't simply going to change the philosophy of being a versatile game plan oriented team because David Givens leaves.

Yeah David Givens is NOT the passing game. He is only part of it.
If Givens leaves I believe they will have a decent #2 WR. If they re sign
Andre Davis he will do. He has had time to absorb the offense and is
improving. Look for Ben Watson to get better.
PATs will still have a very good pass game without Givens.
(especially if they improve the Oline pass protection )

Last edited:
We're going to miss Given's run blocking if he leaves. Can Andre Davis step up in that department? I don't know, I didn't pay attention. I know he can tackle on Special Teams, but how's his run blocking?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
We're going to miss Given's run blocking if he leaves. Can Andre Davis step up in that department? I don't know, I didn't pay attention. I know he can tackle on Special Teams, but how's his run blocking?
patty cake, patty cake, ....you get the idea.

I think the whole thing sounds a whole lot easier if we just pay Givens his 3.8 million a year.

BB will try and improve every aspect of the team no matter who's back or not. I don't think having Givens back or not will have anything to do with trying to improve the running game. Even if he's back they'll try to run better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back