PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are all colts fans this delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny88

Banned
Reaction score
Do the colts fans know the lack of offseason movement is due to them having no money, because they spent it all? I would think colts fans would be smart enough to decipher not having any money to spend (because you spent it all) , from having money to spend, and using it wisley to improve your team. Who the heck is paying Adam V ? Did they draft him, lol. Are they sure they let Cato June go because they knew they could replace him, or was it because they did not have the money they needed to keep him? Not sure how having money to use in the offseason to fill holes on your team AND DRAFTING WELL is not better then just drafting well. Guess that is the whole 1 is better then 3 logic they have going on down there. I guess the colts would be a worse team if they had a lot of cap money, used it effectivley to improve some of there immediate weaknesses, and then backed that up with a good draft. I forgot, anyone who has a lot of cap money is the Yankees of football!!!! The only problem with that is there is a SALERY CAP in football. Judging by there situation, ob they don't know that. No one can outspend anyone else. Every team has the same amount of cap space. It is how you use the money that dictates how much you have, duh. If you have no cap money you should learn how to manage your cap better. It can only be an advantage for us, if you back up a solid free agency, with a solid draft you come out that much stronger. Still wondering how having a lot of cap money, using it effectivley, and then having a good draft, is not better then just utalizing the draft. The last part is the best. "Who is the winningest team in the league since '99? What team is the only one to go to the playoffs six out of the last seven years? Which team just won the Super Bowl?" Hahah, these guys crack me up. Brutal failure from 99 to 2006, and all the sudden they are the best team to ever live. After winning one superbowl. A superbowl they where handed. If anyone was ever handed a superbowl it was the good ol coltsters. The team that won them a ring was not a very good one. They still have a good offense, but the team as a whole (with all those players they lost) was not that great. They better have a amazing draft. The draft can be a crap shoot. I like how they are banking on the draft so much. While we utalize the draft AND use our cap money to improve. I think the patriots won something like 3 of the last 6 superbowls. The first one with 17 free agents on the roster. How is the pats PLAYOFF record? How did the pats do in the draft over the years? Cracks me up. God, Polian is a genious (put's down crack pipe). I wonder if he can get us some rules changed this year. It has been 2 years, we need another superbowl.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/a...rse210307.html

Shrewd Colts staying the course

There is a saying among linebackers in the infamous Cover 2 defensive scheme: Don't bite the cheese. Receivers playing against such a defense will often run underneath routes in order to get defenders to move upfield, away from their assigned zones.

Give the Indianapolis Colts credit. Just as they teach their linebackers, this offseason, they aren't biting that cheese.

With an enormous salary cap increase, the NFL was practically begging teams to throw money at free agents. Almost everyone did -- except the Colts.

As of this writing, Indianapolis has signed only one free agent who played for another team in 2006 -- quarterback John Navarre, formerly of the Arizona Cardinals . I'm not positive on what his signing bonus was, but I'm guessing it didn't break the bank.

The Colts, as they have usually done, chose to re-sign their homegrown talent instead -- linebackers Gilbert Gardner and Rob Morris. But they also had no problem in letting linebacker Cato June, cornerback Nick Harper, running back Dominic Rhodes and, most recently, wide receiver Brandon Stokley get away.

What's going on here? Surely the Colts should have been scrambling at every opportunity to upgrade their woeful defense from a year ago. They ranked dead last against the run, and despite a good showing in the playoffs, still require upgrades at key positions of need.

Why didn't they sign cornerback Nate Clements? Why aren't Colts fans screaming for their team to give up the picks for Chicago's Lance Briggs, a perfect replacement for June. "Why is every defensive lineman on our team still 240 pounds?" they surely yell in frustration.

Not so. Like their front office, Indy's fans know their team was built through the draft.

In last year's Super Bowl, an incredible 21 of Indy's 22 starters were drafted or signed as undrafted free agents by the team. That's almost unheard of in an era where marginal offensive tackles like Leonard Davis get almost $20 million in guaranteed money and general managers, like Denver's Mike Shanahan, go wild in the trade market.

The Colts will survive the loss of June, just as they survived the loss of Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington and David Thornton. They dumped Edgerrin James a year ago and barely saw any noticeable effects thanks to rookie Joseph Addai. Losing a backup running back like Rhodes is a trifling concern in comparison.

Harper is 33, and cornerbacks never come at a premium in Indy's Cover 2, anyway (giving Clements an $80 million contract, as the 49ers did, would have been a huge blunder for the Colts). And while Stokley was good, does anyone really believe he'd ever have amassed a 1,000-yard season had Peyton Manning not been throwing him the ball?

The Colts will look to their own roster for replacements. A young linebacker named Freddie Keiaho will get his chance to replace June. Third-year man Marlin Jackson -- another player drafted by the Colts -- might end up filling Harper's hole. Indy will undoubtedly look to the draft to replace Rhodes and Stokley in particular, especially with Marvin Harrison getting up there in age.

Nope, the Colts will relax and do what they've always done. They may have had some questions to answer this offseason, but barely a token entry into free agency doesn't have any of their fans concerned. In fact, as one of them pointed out to me, they've got questions of their own:

"Who is the winningest team in the league since '99? What team is the only one to go to the playoffs six out of the last seven years? Which team just won the Super Bowl?"

-IUColtPacerFan, IndyStar.com.

Last edited:
Colts are the best right now. They have beat the Pats convincingly 3 out of the last 3. I have nothing else to say. They have our number. Peyton in the best QB in the NFL. Harriosn is the best WR as well. Sanders is the best run stuffing safety in the NFL and made a huge difference in turning around the defense. The rookie RB is looking to be better than player they let go.

The Pats have their work cut out for them.

What can you say when 4 or 5 of your starters sign elsewhere and you have no money to replace them? Depth is a concern for the Colts no matter how they try and spin it. The Colts must have a very good draft.

The Patriots haven't beaten the Colts since when? It's more about what have you done for me lately. The Patriots haven't won against them lately so what can we say? The Patriots need youth and guys who aren't injury prone. Yeah I understand when they have played the Colts they had key players out of the game but thats not excuse really. Thats what depth is for so it's obvious the Patriots didn't have enough of it and that being the case they lost. They just weren't good enough to pull out those wins.

The Patriots will get their chance to settle the score this season, let's wait and see if things go "back to normal".

The Colts are a very good team, and they are on a run vs the Pats right now.. I suspect however that this may change soon, we have reloaded and despite what the article says, the Colts have not added the depth they need to continue at the top. The draft is a crapshoot, so stay tuned folks...

Colts are the best right now. They have beat the Pats convincingly 3 out of the last 3.
Huh ?

The Patriots had the Colts beaten covincingly in the playoffs until half the team was on the sideline.

The previous game was within a score which we had a shot at until a tipped ball. The Colts won but not convincingly.

The previous game was when we had guys like Starks playing.

The Colts won the SB last year. We have dealt with it and will have to forever. But they weren't the best team last year and they certainly aren't as we speak right now.

What can you say when 4 or 5 of your starters sign elsewhere and you have no money to replace them? Depth is a concern for the Colts no matter how they try and spin it. The Colts must have a very good draft.

depth isn't a concern when you never have significant injuries

I think the worst news for Colts fans is the realization that the Colts team that won the Super Bowl last season was not that great a team and that they aren't going to improve going into 07.

That said, they're certainly not going anywhere. They are still amongst the AFC's elite as long as Manning as QB, but the lack of a truly great team last season will not be an issue next season as the Patriots have filled all their holes.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between "choosing not to spend your money unwisely" and "having no money to spend". The two appear to have gotten confused here.

Are they sure the lack of offseason movement is due to not having any money because they spent it all. Who the heck is paying Adam V ? Did they draft him, lol. Are they sure they let Cato June go because they knew they could replace him, or was it because they didnt have anywhere close to the money they needed to keep him? Not sure how having money to use in the offseason to fill holes on your team AND DRAFTING WELL, is not better then just drafting well. Guess that is the whole 1 is better then 3 logic they have going on down there. I guess the colts would be a worse team if they had a lot of cap money, used it, then backed that up with a good draft. I forgot, anyone who has a lot of cap money and uses it is the Yankees of football!!!! The only problem with that is there is a SALERY CAP in football. No one can outspend anyone else. If you have no cap money you should learn hwo to manage your cap better. Still wondering how having a lot of cap money, using it effectivley and then having a good draft, is not better then just the draft. The last part is the best. "Who is the winningest team in the league since '99? What team is the only one to go to the playoffs six out of the last seven years? Which team just won the Super Bowl?" Hahah, these guys crack me up. Brutal failure from 99 to 2006, and all the sudden they are the best team to ever live. After winning one superbowl. A superbowl they where handed. If anyone was ever handed a superbowl it was the good ol coltsters. The team that one them a ring was not a very good one. They still have a good offense, but the team as a whole with all those players they lost was not that great. They better have a superstar draft. The draft acn be a crap shoot to I like how they are bajnking on it alone. while we utalize all our cap money AND the draft. I think the patriots won something like 3 of the last 6 superbowls. The first one with 17 free agents on the roster. How is the pats PLAYOFF record? How did the pats do in the draft over the years? Cracks me up. God, Polian is a genious (put's down crack pipe). I wonder if he can get us some rules changed this year. It has been 2 years, we need another superbowl.

You haven't paid much attention to a Colts offseason before have you? They do this nearly every year. They pick and choose who they resign and who they let walk. They have let several of their starting linebackers walk. All of whom you could argue are better than Cato. Heck, that's how Cato got his job. They Colts draft well and let use that draft depth to allow free agents go. June has Kieaho behind him and the Colts staff is really high on him. Harper has one 1st rounder (Marlin Jackson, who is now the starter) and 2 second rounders behind him. And Addai is now the man at running back. So while those losses will have an impact, they were all planned for and should not be crippling. The Colts rarely go out and spend a whole lot in the FA market. Corey Simon was one of the exceptions. AV was too, but you could say that was a wash since the Colts were paying Vandy close to that number and would have had to if they resign Vandy instead of AV.

The comment about the run that they Colts are on just points out that the plan they Colts have been using has allowed them to maintain success. Granted they didn't win the Super Bowl until this year, but they have been a winning team and they did just win the Super Bowl. BTW, most of the recent playoff losses before their Super Bowl came at the hands of the eventual Super Bowl champs.

depth isn't a concern when you never have significant injuries

Are you talking about the Colts? If you are they Colts suffered quite a few injuries, mainly on defense. The big ones on offense were Stokely, who played 8 plays all year, and Dallas Clark, who missed 4 , but they feared would be gone for the season. The defense lost both of the their starting tackles for the year in Simon, who didn't play a down. and Reagor who missed the last 11. Their secondary was decimated by injuries. There was a game or two that they had to start 2 special teamers, a rookie, and a second year player out of position just to field a team. Doss was lost for the year and nearly every d-back missed action with some sort of injury. If you weren't talking about the Colts, I'm sorry for rambling on.

You haven't paid much attention to a Colts offseason before have you? They do this nearly every year. They pick and choose who they resign and who they let walk. They have let several of their starting linebackers walk. All of whom you could argue are better than Cato. Heck, that's how Cato got his job. They Colts draft well and let use that draft depth to allow free agents go. June has Kieaho behind him and the Colts staff is really high on him. Harper has one 1st rounder (Marlin Jackson, who is now the starter) and 2 second rounders behind him. And Addai is now the man at running back. So while those losses will have an impact, they were all planned for and should not be crippling. The Colts rarely go out and spend a whole lot in the FA market. Corey Simon was one of the exceptions. AV was too, but you could say that was a wash since the Colts were paying Vandy close to that number and would have had to if they resign Vandy instead of AV.

The comment about the run that they Colts are on just points out that the plan they Colts have been using has allowed them to maintain success. Granted they didn't win the Super Bowl until this year, but they have been a winning team and they did just win the Super Bowl. BTW, most of the recent playoff losses before their Super Bowl came at the hands of the eventual Super Bowl champs.

Are you talking about the Colts? If you are they Colts suffered quite a few injuries, mainly on defense. The big ones on offense were Stokely, who played 8 plays all year, and Dallas Clark, who missed 4 , but they feared would be gone for the season. The defense lost both of the their starting tackles for the year in Simon, who didn't play a down. and Reagor who missed the last 11. Their secondary was decimated by injuries. There was a game or two that they had to start 2 special teamers, a rookie, and a second year player out of position just to field a team. Doss was lost for the year and nearly every d-back missed action with some sort of injury. If you weren't talking about the Colts, I'm sorry for rambling on.

Keep drinking that blue koolaid boss.I am sure the colts will be farrrr better next year!!! Of course I pay attention to the colts offseason's. You can spin it any way you like. The bottom line is that post is boder line laughable.

Colts are the best right now. They have beat the Pats convincingly 3 out of the last 3.
I am not so sure either of the last two Indy wins over NE qualifies as having "beat them convincingly".

Fact is the two teams were about as equal as you can get this past January. Since then, the Patriots have gotten better while the Colts have mostly stayed the same. That isn't an insult to Indy, that's just the way it is.

We still have the draft ahead of us and there are always injuries to be concerned about, but right now I think NE has passed over Indy.

Last edited:
I don't see a lot in the original piece to disagree with. Like the Pats, generally speaking the Colts have built extremely well through the draft, and sustained a playoff-level team throughout most of the last decade without shelling out big bucks to free agents.

Fair play to them for that.

They hold the Lombardi Trophy. They have beaten us three times out of three, irrespective of the scores, the circumstances, the injuries, whatever. They've won those games and right now, until someone starts beating them in the autumn they are the best team in the NFL.

If that's delusional, then you can mark my card with it too.

Just an FYI the guy who wrote that article goes by the logon GoChiefs...

Perhaps danny can figure it out from there.

Colts are the best right now. They have beat the Pats convincingly 3 out of the last 3. I have nothing else to say. They have our number. Peyton in the best QB in the NFL. Harriosn is the best WR as well. Sanders is the best run stuffing safety in the NFL and made a huge difference in turning around the defense. The rookie RB is looking to be better than player they let go.

The Pats have their work cut out for them.

I almost fell out of my chair to see a post that actually makes sense. IMO the Pats are chasing the Colts not the other way around. They have their QB, WRs, TE and RB and offensive system in place and will be in the top 3 teams in points scored again. On defense they lost a few highly replacable parts and although they may not have great depth but their key playmakers are in place (Freeney, Mathis, Sanders). They aren't going anywhere especially in their weak sister division.

Do I think the Patriots can beat the Colts? Hell ya.

But for now they are the champs and have beat us 3 times in a row. The AFC looks very strong with Indy, NE and SD being at the top with other challengers not that far behind (Denver, Ravens, Bengals, Jets, etc.)

The NFL is a damn tough league to win, I think it is just sinking in how remarkable it was that the Pats won 3 out of 4. The single elimination tournament is a great equalizer (past 2 SBs teams had to play on Wild Card weekend). Anything can happen in these situations.

Just thinking about it makes me excited about the season.

Go Pats, would anything be sweeter than winning another title and defeating the Colts and Chargers along the way.

Keep drinking that blue koolaid boss.I am sure the colts will be farrrr better next year!!! Of course I pay attention to the colts offseason's. You can spin it any way you like. The bottom line is that post is boder line laughable.

It's not koolaid, it's just the way it is.

Because I call them out on there delusions? I will continued to be obsessed then. Seems to me you are obsessed with the calling me obsessed.. Not really worried what you or any other colts fan thinks. This is the internet : )

I'm just pointing out the irony that there was a thread about the Colts fans and since then there have been quite of few threads about the Colts here. As far as you go, it seems like you are trying to convince other or yourself that the Colts have fallen.

I don't see a lot in the original piece to disagree with. Like the Pats, generally speaking the Colts have built extremely well through the draft, and sustained a playoff-level team throughout most of the last decade without shelling out big bucks to free agents.

Fair play to them for that.

They hold the Lombardi Trophy. They have beaten us three times out of three, irrespective of the scores, the circumstances, the injuries, whatever. They've won those games and right now, until someone starts beating them in the autumn they are the best team in the NFL.

If that's delusional, then you can mark my card with it too.

Did you drink my koolaid?

It's not koolaid, it's just the way it is.

I'm just pointing out the irony that there was a thread about the Colts fans and since then there have been quite of few threads about the Colts here. As far as you go, it seems like you are trying to convince other or yourself that the Colts have fallen.

Did you drink my koolaid?

Hahah, you got it. I take this message board that serious :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes