PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else feel like it's Jakobi's final season here?

We all see his inability to get yards after the catch and our offense for decades now really flourishes when we have that. His lack of tds also works against him. Every year he has to fight for his spot on the depth chart as if the prior year meant nothing. Harry, who clearly is bad, has been above him to start most years as well. I feel like we want him gone, but just haven't found enough reliable guys to boot him off.

Lazar is against extending Jakobi for over $8M apy. He likes the guy but doesn't think he's an efficient high volume receiver. He doubts the Pats extend him.

Check it out, @ashley1992 makes a cameo right after the Jakobi talk. Lol

The 1st year The QB pretty much froze him out, the 2nd year the new QB was a TOTAL BUM, worse than 36 qbs on rosters today, and last year was a rookie QB.
All 3 had other higher rated pass-catchers as well.
Decent WR, does his job, so we'll see how it goes.

Really ?

Chark last 3 years - 15 Touchdowns
Meyers last 3 years - 2 touchdowns

Yards per catch career
Meyers 11.6
Chalk 13.9

I am not sure if you know this, but you need To score to win

Chark played 4 games last year and in those 4 games & he matched Meyers 3 year career in touchdowns

Want to talk Yards after catch?

Thanks for playing…. DB

was that Meyers role in the offense? to be the primary redzone option for this team? No, it wasn't. So the point you keep trying to make over and over and over falls on deaf ears...

But thats it...

How many 80+ receptions in a season has Chark had? huh... dont see any
In his best season, he tied Meyers for 1st down conversions...
Catch %? 55% vs 68%
his average depth of target? 14 yds vs 10... which makes sense because hes playing on the outside as opposed to the slot
his yac? since you brought it up ... in his last full season? 3.1, compared to 2.7 for Meyers... earthshattering difference, huh? Especially considering his size and speed advantage

Care to complain about his number of tds yet again?

thanks for playing you whiny b

I think someone is going to give Meyers $10M/year if he has another season with WR2 numbers. The roster management has led me to believe the team wants an upgrade over him, so I would be surprised if the Patriots were the ones to pay that price.

If he has a down year or just gets overlooked in the free agent market, I could see him coming back for a 1 year deal between $3-8M (probably lots of incentives within that range).
We didn't sign Parker because we expect Myers to have WR #2 numbers.

If we keep Agholor, it is very, very doubtful that Myers will get WR #2 numbers, or perhaps even #3 numbers.

I expect our top 4 next year to be Bourne, Parker, Thornton and whoever we extend (Myers or Agholor). Yes, we might have that this year. We should sign an extension with one of them before the season starts. If not, I expect both to be gone in 2023.
==========
As an aside, we once had a WR with good numbers. Surely, we would extend Lloyd, or at least get a good pick in trade. NOT! We ended up cutting him, and he didn't get much elsewhere.

I am fine with extending Myers and trading Agholor for a 7th. I think that it more likely that Myers is traded.

Chalk is 6”4” & runs a 4.34
He also had 8 touchdowns in 2019 with 1,000+ yards & 5 TD’s in 2021

He only played 4 games last year & he had as many touchdowns in 4 games as Jakobi in 17 games
Meyers can be easily replaced.

was that Meyers role in the offense? to be the primary redzone option for this team? No, it wasn't. So the point you keep trying to make over and over and over falls on deaf ears...

But thats it...

How many 80+ receptions in a season has Chark had? huh... dont see any
In his best season, he tied Meyers for 1st down conversions...
Catch %? 55% vs 68%
his average depth of target? 14 yds vs 10... which makes sense because hes playing on the outside as opposed to the slot
his yac? since you brought it up ... in his last full season? 3.1, compared to 2.7 for Meyers... earthshattering difference, huh? Especially considering his size and speed advantage

Care to complain about his number of tds yet again?

thanks for playing you whiny b
What do Gardner Minschew. Blake Bortles, Nick Foles, Cody Kessler and Trevor Lawrence all have in common?

Chark has had 5 QBs in 4 years.

What do Gardner Minschew. Blake Bortles, Nick Foles, Cody Kessler and Trevor Lawrence all have in common?

Chark has had 5 QBs in 4 years.
Tom Brady, who complained about the udfa rookie

Cam Newton, who single handedly killed the earthworm population in foxboro & Brian Hoyer

Rookie QB Mac Jones, who sent nearly half of his td throws to a bigger, better target Hunter Henry

3 years, four different qbs in NE

Meyers isn't the best slot receiver in the game . There are short comings in his game... The chark comparison was meant to illustrate the cost value of the wr market.... Chark got 10, up to 12 m for 1 year based on two years of limited production...

There are a bunch of guys who signed in the 7 to 10m range this off-season... Which, as I originally stated, if Meyers has a repeat performance this year, it's 50 50 he comes back next year... I think he's worth 6 to 7.5... but would it be surprising if he gets more on the open market? I would pay 6, I wouldn't pay 10... 50 / 50 on his return

Jfc some of you guys don't understand simple concepts like equivalency...

Last edited:
Patriots WRs have a rep for being system WRs. Remember Edelman had problems getting anyone to take him when the Pats were playing hardball with a contract when he was a free agent and he was forced to come back at a discount. And Meyers is no Edelman.
The same thing occurred with Wes Welker only the Pats didn't let him come back.

I like Myers and I hope he stays.

We all see his inability to get yards after the catch and our offense for decades now really flourishes when we have that. His lack of tds also works against him. Every year he has to fight for his spot on the depth chart as if the prior year meant nothing. Harry, who clearly is bad, has been above him to start most years as well. I feel like we want him gone, but just haven't found enough reliable guys to boot him off.
The Bournes and the Meyers are a dime a dozen.

The Pats need to hang up big points and you do that by passing. Id like to see another young fast WR added soon.

I see 2 types of WR. The guy who flys under the radar. You scheme to make him a name. Brady worked with these types for 20 years. Moss was the only Beast. The 2nd type guy is your Jmarr Chase, Tyreek Hiill, Cooper Kupp. They dominate. Sheer talent takes over a game so try to stop them.

Tom Brady, who complained about the udfa rookie

Cam Newton, who single handedly killed the earthworm population in foxboro & Brian Hoyer

Rookie QB Mac Jones, who sent nearly half of his td throws to a bigger, better target Hunter Henry

3 years, four different qbs in NE

Meyers isn't the best slot receiver in the game . There are short comings in his game... The chark comparison was meant to illustrate the cost value of the wr market.... Chark got 10, up to 12 m for 1 year based on two years of limited production...

There are a bunch of guys who signed in the 7 to 10m range this off-season... Which, as I originally stated, if Meyers has a repeat performance this year, it's 50 50 he comes back next year... I think he's worth 6 to 7.5... but would it be surprising if he gets more on the open market?

Jfc some of you guys don't understand simple concepts like equivalency...
Brady quit because Meyers is a JAG. Mac has taken Meyers as far as he can go.

Hopefully Thorton is the difference maker that jump starts this offense into the modern day NFL. Mac needs help out there and NE needs to go get him some more talent. I would keep either Meyers or Bourne, but not both. Whoever is the cheapest price. Obviously, 5hitcan worthiness Harry.

Its time for BB to quit farting around and fix this offense.

Brady quit because Meyers is a JAG. Mac has taken Meyers as far as he can go.

Hopefully Thorton is the difference maker that jump starts this offense into the modern day NFL. Mac needs help out there and NE needs to go get him some more talent. I would keep either Meyers or Bourne, but not both. Whoever is the cheapest price. Obviously, 5hitcan worthiness Harry.

Its time for BB to quit farting around and fix this offense.
Brady quit because Meyers was a JAG? Thats a bit oversimplifying it a tad, dont you think? But I will agree Brady did indeed quit on the team.

Mac trusted him enough to be the number 1 target on first down conversions when passing the ball...

He's worked hard carving out a roster spot in his 3 seasons here... There's nothing wrong with keeping him here... As long as we don't overpay for a possession receiver... It took Edelman 4 years to breakout ... Wait and see if his game evolves yet again before tossing him out with the bathwater...

Last edited:
Meyers can be easily replaced.

I wouldn't say "easy" per se, as we've seen how difficult it is (for most teams to be honest) to consistently find good WR. But I agree that, if you want to be a consistent winning team, guys like Meyers are the ones you should be able to replace regularly, especially if the alternative is overpaying them on the open market.

Brady quit because Meyers was a JAG? Thats a bit oversimplifying it a tad, dont you think? But I will agree Brady did indeed quit on the team.

Mac trusted him enough to be the number 1 target on first down conversions when passing the ball...

He's worked hard carving out a roster spot in his 3 seasons here... There's nothing wrong with keeping him here... As long as we don't overpay for a possession receiver... It took Edelman 4 years to breakout ... Wait and see if his game evolves yet again before tossing him out with the bathwater...
One easily overlooked aspect of overpaying is opportunity cost. Keeping Meyers would consume a roster slot. If the lack of roster slots means a receiver with potential to be a possession receiver plus big play threat is cut because he‘s new and hasn’t had the chance to realize that potential while Meyers has seniority, that’s a cost of keeping Meyers. IMO that cost would mean we overpaid to keep him.

One easily overlooked aspect of overpaying is opportunity cost. Keeping Meyers would consume a roster slot. If the lack of roster slots means a receiver with potential to be a possession receiver plus big play threat is cut because he‘s new and hasn’t had the chance to realize that potential while Meyers has seniority, that’s a cost of keeping Meyers. IMO that cost would mean we overpaid to keep him.
thats why i dont think the Pats extend him now, unless its on a team friendly deal... like 3y/18m, no idea of guarantees though... i think they let him test free agency, letting the market establish his value... They can get a good deal that way ... But if he outperforms his tender, then its mostly likely bye bye because i dont believe they will pay a premium to keep him here... (and then everyone complaining about him being here now will complain about BB not getting a deal done and what a terribul gm he is yada yada yada... oh what a wicked web lol)

I think he will be traded before the season starts. They will keep the younger guys with a higher upside.

Wait and see if his game evolves yet again before tossing him out with the bathwater...
Excellent at finding space
Glacial turning up the field post catch
Should have a nice career in the NFL but not athletic enough a WR for teams with SB ambitions

I think he will be traded before the season starts. They will keep the younger guys with a higher upside.
I don't see the logic, although I do it as likely that Myers is traded.

If the others look good, we have 4 and need no more. If not, we need Myers. The 4th is likely to be inactive if we keep Montgomery, an emergency WR (as Gunner was).

I wouldn't keep Nixon over Myers in any case.

Evan Lazar makes a great point that Myers would be taking a big risk not getting a deal done with the Pats now as his targets should likely decrease well below the 126 targets with the additions of Parker and Thornton with money invested in Smith and Agholor. On the other hand, I'd be shocked if Bill wanted to re-sign him this early.

Evan Lazar makes a great point that Myers would be taking a big risk not getting a deal done with the Pats now as his targets should likely decrease well below the 126 targets with the additions of Parker and Thornton with money invested in Smith and Agholor. On the other hand, I'd be shocked if Bill wanted to re-sign him this early.

It's a risk, but with Parker's injury history, Thornton being a rookie, and them likely letting Mac throw more this year (at the very least, I'm going to bet he doesn't have another 3-pass game this season), it may still even out. But he's right, there's a real chance Meyers doesn't come close to that 126 number in 2022.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back