SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Raiders
Sun
Nov 19th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Strong Showing
Martellus Bennett's return along with a strong performance on special teams helped spark a blowout win for the Patriots Sunday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Anybody Else Psyched to have Walking Dead Back?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PatsFanInVa, Feb 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,422
    This is another good one from everything I've read. Spoilers on other page.

Daryl, Maggie, Jesus, Gregory, Simon @ Hilltop

Sasha, Ro, Eugene @ or heading to Sanctuary.

Idk I love the show. Admitted fanboy but I thought the last few years have been very good, esp last year. This year has been very up and down.

609-701 are two all time fav('s) of mine.

So good but the cliffhanger bs just killed any momentum

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN (He's 40) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26,018
    I like the show, but it definitely isn't the best show on TV. "Legion", "Taboo", "GOT", "WestWorld" all have it beat. The show coming out on AMC with Pierce Brosnan also looks very good. It has the potential to be the best show on TV, but every time they begin building momentum, they inexplicably pump the brakes. It's almost as if they're actively trying to not catch up to the source material. Like I said before, though, when it's on, it's very good. Right up there with those shows that I listed. But, when it's bad, it's VERY bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,680
    That's pretty much my assessment as well. I enjoy it...when it's good, but when it's bad, it's pretty ****in awful.

EDIT - And I'll agree that trying to shoehorn the show into the comic storyline seems to be suffocating the progress of the show.

I'd add Americans, Fargo, and maybe even Vikings (not sure now, though) to the shows that have it beat. Netflix shows are another matter. If we were including those, I'd have to add Stranger Things as well.

I've heard Legion is good, and I've heard great things about Black Sails.

4. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    Dude... watch Legion. It's excellent.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. AzorianPats

AzorianPats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,490
    Stranger things that good?

6. AzorianPats

Ratings:
    +2,490
    I thought the beginning of season 6 was slow and brutal. Same for first half of season 7.

Gimple is too big on the filler episodes to have the payoffs happen in the mid season finale and season finale. He's gotta change it up. Or else they're at risk of losing more viewers.

Second half of season 7 has been better. Actually felt the worst episode has been maybe the mid season premier. And that one was a good episode.

But they've lost a lot of momentum with all the cheap cliffhangers. I could have dealt with 6-16 if they didn't try the cheap Glenn death earlier in the season. That might have been one of the worst decisions in the history of television.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    I thought the first two episodes of season 6 were really good, but then the rest after that up until the MSF were absolutely awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +6,680
    I thought so. I was a month or so late getting on that bandwagon, but the show lived up to its hype in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more with this! I would have tolerated the lame cliffhanger at the end of Season 6 a little better had it not been for the Glenn fake out (where it was fairly obvious he was going to be ok). They actually had another lame cliffhanger shortly before the finale when Dwight shot "someone" and it cut to credits. By the time the finale came around with its dumb cliffhanger, I was already annoyed, and actually getting far more annoyed during Negan's speechifying because I knew at that point, they were going to go the cliffhanger route.

I remember being really stoked by the first three episodes of Season 6, thinking that Walking Dead was finding its footing again. The Morgan zen episode, as decent as it actually was, was poorly timed and, combined with the following filler episodes, killed all the momentum from the first three episodes...and the goodwill for that matter.

9. AzorianPats

Ratings:
    +2,490

Another reason why the cliffhanger to end season 6 might have been a bad idea....

They shoot the show outdoors in rural Georgia. I'm pretty certain that's the only show shot in that area. So after a couple a weeks when people noticed Steven Yun and Michael Cudlitz weren't spotted in the area anymore. You kinda had to figure fans were putting 2 and 2 together.

I also agree they should sway away from the comics a bit. The best cliffhanger of all time in the series had to have been the one to end season 4 where they're all trapped at Terminus. I could be wrong and maybe BGC can confirm this, but I don't think that was part of the comics.

10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    They were trapped in a similar situation in the comics. Instead of Rick saying "they don't know who they're screwing with", he said, "they don't know who they're ******* with".

11. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,422
    You are correct on all points here.

Disagree about swaying from the comics tho. I think the show is at its best when he uses that as a blueprint.

Big fan of Gimple but he should go of he doesn't get a kick in the ass.

Next year is too good to mess up. So much get material for TV.

12. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +6,680
    They actually filmed a take with the correct line. I believe you can see it on Netflix and the DVD...maybe even YouTube. I think I remember Andrew Lincoln saying he pushed for an exception to policy to have that line be the broadcast take.

By the way, I started Legion last night. I only got one episode in...trippy and interesting. For some reason, I felt like it was taking place in Canada. I have no idea why.

13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    The cinematography used in that show is movie quality. Like nothing I've ever seen on television before.

14. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +6,680
    I'm compelled to agree. Very smart direction and definitely polished...I agree that it doesn't quite feel like a TV series.

15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    FYI, the writer and creator of the show is the same guy from the "Fargo" TV series. His resume is quite impressive.

16. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    Another yawner until the last 10 minutes or so. They spent about that amount of time on the conversation between Enid and the Savior and then the Savior looking to loot the basement of the home. They could have cut out the scene between he and Enid altogether and spent maybe a minute on the scene of him looting the basement (and the decision of whether or not to attack him) and added more to the two scenes of quality dialogue between either Maggie and Darryl (my preference) or Rosita and Sasha. I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up and reminded myself that it's been a while since this show put together two quality episodes in a row.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +6,680
    Yeah, more wheel spinning...

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell Enid is given screen time at all. Is she a big figure in the comics? The writers have given the characters these lines where they speak of how "indispensable" and "important" Enid is, but I still can't figure it out. She hasn't really done anything yet, and not enough to earn screen time or our concern as viewers.

Yep, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that conversation between Maggie and Daryl. I think Maggie let him off the hook a little easy, because it kinda was his fault Glenn is dead. I would have been ok with her lashing out for a moment, maybe giving him a slap or somesuch, and then forgiving him. It might have made her seem a little more human.

For that matter, the show has completely forgotten about Maggie this season. She lost someone too, but they focus on boring-ass Sasha and annoying-ass Rosita. I wouldn't mind seeing more Maggie, as long they balanced her sense of loss with that rage she's been known to drum up from time to time. Bah well...

Speaking of those two, what a stupid sequence of events. The sniper plan was a good one, even if I don't understand why the Saviors wouldn't have patrols roaming around looking for people hiding the bushes (also, the rifle sticking out the window is a poor tactical choice). Anyway, why did they change up the plan? Did the bullets have an expiry date coming up? It seems the only reason they changed the plan was so that Sasha could go run in and go all "suicide mission"...in other words, more characters doing stupid shit to advance the plot.

On the other hand, Simon is my favorite Savior. His personality is perfectly smarmy and kinda funny, with that tequila monologue. He's actually a little more menacing than Negan at times, because you sense the murder beneath the smiling surface. You really do wonder when he's gonna finally snap and lash out. It has to come at some point, right? But if Negan dies, and they don't kill off Simon, he'd make a decent replacement...at least from a character perspective.

18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    Yeah Simon is the man. He's got the wild-eyed sociopath character down pat. Perfect choice for that role. I think he's dead, though. In the comics, after the AOW arc, Negan is thrown into Rick's prison in Alexandria and Dwight takes over the Saviors (who then become just another community ala the Kingdom/Hilltop/ASZ).

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +26,018
    That was awesome. The season finale looks badass, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AzorianPats

Ratings:
    +2,490
    Agreed on both points.

Second half of season 7 has been a huge improvement over the first half. I hope AMC and all the show writers come together and make sure we never have the type of slow crap we did in the first half of season 7 ever again.

There's enough material from the All out War comic arc to keep us entertained. Enough with filler episodes.