SOURCE:USA TODAY

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Any Other Dieters Out There ?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BelichickFan, Mar 28, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    Just wondering what works for you.

I'm an Atkins Dieter. I've lost 60 pounds since 2002, down from 240 to 180 (6'0"). I lost most the first 6 months, maintained it, then did another 10 pounds the past few weeks just for fun.

2. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +152
    ---
    I tried Atkins and had some success with it. But I think with any diet maintaining it on the long term -- im talking years here -- is what makes it hard.

The best success I've found is moderation and regular excercise. That sounds sort of simplistic but it does work. My issue with diets like Atkins is it's next to impossible to maintain that for the rest of your life and there's evidence it's not healthy to do so either.

There's no way I can give up certain foods for life, I just try to reduce the amount I eat i.e. one burger and fries a week instead of four.

3. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0
    ---

Moderation and regular exercise is what has worked for me. However, I am having some health issues that have made it impossible to keep up my running schedule. As a result, I have gained some weight. I need to get these issues resolved. Running is what really keeps the weight off for me.

I also take some spinning classes and do some biking but it is not the same as running.

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    What I did, and I've maintained it for 3 years now, is I take the weekends off. I lost the weight on the diet full time. Then for maintenance I am on the diet M-F and on weekends, holidays and vacations I eat what I want. It works great.

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    Exercise ? :eek:

I agree it's a good thing but not necessary, I never, ever exercised despite a tendency to gain weight and still lost easily. Atkins rules (I concentrated on the eggs, salad, cheese and nuts as opposed to constant meat).

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,928
    ---
    I just cut down on my carbs...however, I am on a ton of medication for a myriad of allergy/asthma problems. I struggle to keep it off because i need the carbs to have some energy and the steroids always have me weighin more than I should. So I've gotten used to being overweight and just try to stay near 230-240 which is a major victory.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,125
    ---
    Atkins always worked for me, but when I went off put the weight back on +10 lbs. Have been on weighwatchers now since 9/30, lost 57 lbs. and plan on keeping with this program. I walk every day, between 70 and 150 minutes and do at least 30 pushups and 35 situps on an incline board.

Went to the Dr. today, BP 120/64, resting pulse of 60. Probably feeling the best I have ever felt in my life. My Diabetes 2 has disappeared.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    Hint - that happens with any diet if you go back to your old lifestyle :)

Good job on finding something that works for you, though.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +11,125
    ---
    Weight has been an issue my whole life, for the first time I feel more positive than I ever have that I can hit my goal and keep it off. I think the structure & support of WW is beneficial for me. The great pay off for me is the health benefits.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    Yeah, me too. It sucks. I've started working through lunch which makes it easier to control my intake. 480 calories all day until I get home (2 slices of swiss cheese and 2 South Beach Diet low carb bars) is all I have. Then I have a little more, maybe two more slices of cheese, 1/4 gallon of low carb chocolate milk and a little chicken or something.

Not exactly the way I want to spend the rest of my life but I do like being 180 :)

11. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    You are hitting the nail on the head. I hate the term diet used in this context. Diet is what you eat, not the lack of what you eat. Eating healthy and exercising (if feasible) is a lifestyle change!
    Congrats to all of you who are living a healthier lifestyle, now maintain it!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  12. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I don't want to sound like the food police but you know you are retarding your own metabolism.
    What most people want to do is lose body fat, not necessarily weight. By limiting your intake so much you may canibalize the muscles in your body. You could be losing weight, but may not be losing fat.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    I don't think I am. I have something to eat every 2-3 hours, just a small amount. A slice of cheese at 6am, another at 8am, a low carb bar at 11am, another bar at 2pm then I have something at home around 4pm. I let my body know I haven't forgotten it :)

14. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I made the mistake for a long time of not eating in the morning. I have since corrected that and I start each day with a bowl of plain oatmeal with pecans or walnuts in it. The whole grain complex carbohydrate mixed with the protein of the nuts is a kick ass metabolizer. On top of that oatmeal is so good for you it's ridiculous.

I eat about 2800 calories a day, all of which are clean. By that I mean I veer away from anything that is processed or that contains sugar (or any of it's evil cousins like high fructose corn syrup). Lean meat, cheese, yogurt, whole grains, fruits and veggies are the core, additionally I intake protein powder three times a day. I take a multivitamin that contain amino acids, fish oil 3 times a day and green tea extract twice a day. I run at least 5 times a week, and lift weights 4 times a week. I've never felt better.

15. gomezcat

gomezcat Grumpy Englishman. Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14
    ---
    Some good (excuse the pun) food for thought there. I'm 5-10 and 280, so have finally decided to do something about it. One of the things I have been told is that I need to eat breakfast more than I do. By lunch time, I am starting to feel shaky and just eat whatever is to hand, be that a burger, chocolate or whaterver. Obviously, the junk food has to be reduced. I have also started going back to the gym (walking, cycling, cross trainer and weights), aiming to do at least once a week and ideally two. Any tips?

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    As it worked for me, I recommend Atkins. You just eat no carbs and eat whenever you're hungry but to the point of satisfaction, not overeating. Like I said, without exercise I los 50 pounds from mid January to July or August. I like it because I can eat if I want, no counting calories, etc.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +11,125
    ---
    What I do not like about Atkins is:

1. No real portion control, I get confused
    2. No fruit, really like all types of fruit
    3. No Yogurt or milk products
    4. No built in support systems

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +8,515
    ---
    1. Portion control is your stomach. If you're hungry you eat. Once you're satisfied, you stop before you become uncomfortable.

2. OK, that's true.

3. Hood's Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk (or non chocolate). GOOD stuff.

4. I'm here :) There's plenty of Low Carb discussion pages on the internet and I bet most people know someone on it.

19. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,393
    ---
    I'm 6 foot 3 and am an honest 250 lbs. - have considered Atkins but question whether the focus on cheese and meat is a healthy alternative regardless of the weight

My big problem has been the lack of excercise - and put on the weight following quitting smoking and dealing with ongoing knee injuries

I'm thinking that if I take the outrageously unprecedented move of eating less and excercising more I may take off the 25 - 50 lbs. I'd like to be rid of

Having finally repaired my Joe Theiseman-like injury a few years ago running is not an option but the eliptical suits me very well

I may cut down on carbs but my understanding is that for Atkins to work one really needs to eliminate the sugar/carb metabolism of the body

20. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Get more women on here and watch this thread blow up!

I recently started with a dietician as I've been yo-yo ing for YEARS (lost a lot on Atkins in 2003, put it back on when I stopped, tried it again and couldn't take it off again). I'm extremely active (run 20-40 miles/week, lift weights, swim, etc), but have had issues with getting weight to stay off.

I tried Weight Watchers, which is complete crap.

For about 6 months now, I have been eating mostly unprocessed food (I do take Power Bars/Power Gels and the like when I go out on a long run), and I've had some success with it.