Votes: 18 19.8%
  • No, we can spend out money/assets better elsewhere

Votes: 73 80.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sets up the safest hypothetical in NFL history:

If the Steelers offered to trade Brown to the Patriots for fair value, would you make the deal? Here's his cap data

Antonio Brown Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Every other year I’d say absolutely no way due to the contract alone (not even getting into the locker room stuff.). Right now, there’s a more valid argument to make that deal.

I see their offensive skill positions right now, and there’s almost one conceivable way to rebuild it fairly quickly, which is trading for an A++ receiver and enjoying the ripple down effect. Edelman, Gronkowski, Hogan, may all be gone next year or at least another year past their peak. I don’t see much hope through the draft considering their historic draft results at WR and that it would take a lot of hits, not just one. I also don’t see them paying some average WRs $8-10M on the FA market, so maybe they’ll do their typical bargain bin sweep (which was disastrous last offseason.)

So in short, there’s merit to a move like this for this exact team in this exact situation.

The Antonio Brown situation bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Malcolm Butler situation.
Of course it does. There is plenty to compare with both situations.

La Confora: Brown has requested a trade
Rapoport: Brown has not requested a trade

Two terrible insiders in disagreement. What is Charley Casserly saying?

Wait until Schefter says something as he tends to be 90% right most of the time

Wait until Schefter says something as he tends to be 90% right most of the time
I think what AB said was, "why don't just you just trade me" which is not a formal trade request.

Yes I would trade for AB. Gives Tom one of the best WRs to play with the rest of the way, and AB would find out real quick that he won’t get away with anything close to what he did in Pitt. Plus Pitt would take the cap hit to move him. I would deal a 2nd rounder. Target defensive line and TE with other 2 high picks

Pitt ain’t trading him here better shot at Odell

The only ones who’s cap number in the top 10 in the last 10 years were Thomas (2015) Rice (2013, got hurt didn’t even play) and Boldin (2012)

Alshon Jeffery didnt make top dollar for a receiver in 2017

Edit: Boldin was number 12 actually

Now you're forcing them into the top 10? Way to move those goalposts. Jeffery and Thomas are big money WRs who won Super Bowls within the past 3 seasons. It's silly to minimize that.

Now you're forcing them into the top 10? Way to move those goalposts. Jeffery and Thomas are big money WRs who won Super Bowls within the past 3 seasons. It's silly to minimize that.

10 million isn’t big money for wide receivers anymore. Times and the salary cap have changed

No! I'm dead serious. I want no part of that ****wad.

JuJu is different story.
Agreed. The fantasy football tinkerbells are erect over the thought.. .That's why they call it fantasy.

10 million isn’t big money for wide receivers anymore. Times and the salary cap have changed

In 2015, Thomas signed for 5 and 70. It was big money. You're making a bad argument even worse with this "Times and the salary cap have changed" nonsense. Just stop digging.

For crying out loud, the six highest paid QBs in the 2018 NFL are all going to be watching the playoff from their couches.

In 2015, Thomas signed for 5 and 70. It was big money. You're making a bad argument even worse with this "Times and the salary cap have changed" nonsense. Just stop digging.

For crying out loud, the six highest paid QBs in the 2018 NFL are all going to be watching the playoff from their couches.

I never said Thomas wasn’t big money so why are you talking about him. But that’s pretty much the only one other than rice who was hurt basically that entire season

AB started following Jimmy G, Kittle, Joe Staley and other 49ers today. Steeler drama never gets old

I never said Thomas wasn’t big money so why are you talking about him. But that’s pretty much the only one other than rice who was hurt basically that entire season

You're arguing with a guy who is going to dispense with math the moment it becomes inconvenient to whatever line in the sand he has drawn over something arbitrary.

Case in point, treating 10m today as being equal to 14m a third of a decade ago because the last thing you should ever do on the internet is give an inch on any debate topic ever.

Benching a star player in your last game of the year.
Completely different circumstances.

One player was conduct detrimental to the team, the other was sick and too far behind in the game plan prep to be effective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back