PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Angela Napoli Appointed UMass Women's Soccer Head Coach

patfanmike

Rookie
Reaction score
Angela Napoli Appointed UMass Women's Soccer Head Coach

Napoli will serve as head coach of the Minutewomen on an interim basis
July 21, 2009

AMHERST, Mass. - Former University of Massachusetts standout goalkeeper Angela Napoli has been appointed UMass women's soccer head coach for the 2009 season, Director of Athletics John McCutcheon has announced. Napoli, a 2000 UMass graduate, spent the past four seasons as an assistant coach of her alma mater after joining the women's soccer staff in July of 2005.

"We are very pleased to hire Angela Napoli as our head coach for the 2009 season," said McCutcheon. "As the pre-season is just three weeks away, we feel that it is in the best interests of our program to move forward and give this leadership opportunity to Angela. We are fortunate to have an individual of Angela's experience and skills to provide direction to the program at this challenging time."

Napoli, 31, takes over for longtime frontman Jim Rudy, who announced his retirement after 21 seasons at UMass on May 27.

"I am thankful and honored for the opportunity to lead my alma mater," said Napoli, a native of Longmeadow. "I look forward to the upcoming season and to showing what I can achieve as head coach of the UMass women's soccer program."

Over the past four years, UMass has combined 34-30-6 record, including an 11-6 mark in 2006.

Prior to coming to UMass, Napoli spent the 2004 season at the University at Albany as an assistant coach, specifically working with the team's goalkeepers.

Napoli also served as an assistant coach at William & Mary for two years. While on staff at W&M, the Tribe won the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) title in 2003 and made two appearances in the NCAA tournament (2002, 2003).

After earning a degree in Sport Management from UMass, Napoli spent the 2001 season as an assistant coach at the University of Colorado.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back