Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

MAC10

Upper Crust
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Sounds like someone used the gun for target practice before giving it to Baldwin…

According to a search warrant executed by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's office, obtained by Fox News, armorer Hanna Gutierrez Reed handled the prop gun, leaving it among others on a cart outside the set location they were filming. Assistant director Dave Halls then retrieved the gun and handed it to actor Alec Baldwin announcing that it was a "cold gun," a term used to indicate that a prop gun is safe to handle and not loaded with live ammunition.

However, somewhere along the line, there was a miscommunication and a live round was put in the weapon that discharged when Baldwin pulled the trigger, killing Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza. TMZ previously speculated, after sources close to the set reported that the guns were sometimes used for off-time target practice, that the hobby contributed to the live-round mixup.

Now, according to a report from TheWrap, unnamed crew members have stated that the firearm handled by Gutierrez Reed, Halls and Baldwin was used earlier that same day to go "plinking," a hobby in which people shoot at beer cans with live ammunition for fun.

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
Well this was a fun read.

brent rambo thumbs up GIF

Pape

In the Starting Line-Up
Really don't want to dive down a political rabbit hole, but i don't think people fully understand what a repeal of the 2nd amendment would look like

Would you be ok expanding the ATF, and be ok watching on the news every day of families being killed? Pets being killed, babies having flash bangs land in their cribs (yes, this has really happened from police going to the WRONG house), husbands, wives, mothers and fathers being killed or arrested by ATF agents?

Basically, are you ok with watching americans be killed on a regular basis, people who are otherwise law abiding citizens, so that people can feel "safe" by removing guns? You would also have to fund the expansion of the ATF into a small army in order to do this, which I'm sure the establishment would absolutely love!

This is what you'd see in the news every single day:

I promised @Ian I wouldn't.......

The Sandlot GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Pape

In the Starting Line-Up
Man ... you read some of this stuff and you're just like, how could they possibly have been that galactically stupid...?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Because every gun owner says one thing... then does another ... at some point... and before anyone goes off on me for saying that - Unequivocally I do not believe you.

and doing galactically stupid things? meh, who hasn't/right of passage... when we were teens, we got our hands on a copy of the Anarchists Cookbook... you know they have instructions on how to make landmines?

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Man ... you read some of this stuff and you're just like, how could they possibly have been that galactically stupid...?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
They’re actors and production teams. Solid C- students in their educational careers. We’re not exactly talking about Rhodes scholars here.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
Because every gun owner says one thing... then does another ... at some point... and before anyone goes off on me for saying that - Unequivocally I do not believe you.

and doing galactically stupid things? meh, who hasn't/right of passage... when we were teens, we got our hands on a copy of the Anarchists Cookbook... you know they have instructions on how to make landmines?

They’re actors and production teams. Solid C- students in their educational careers. We’re not exactly talking about Rhodes scholars here.
It's just crazy...you read some of the things that were going on and it's all essentially worst-case scenario stuff. Like, essentially stuff where you're like, "they couldn't possibly have done...[insert stupid thing here]" - and then you find out something new. It just keeps getting crazier and crazier.

FirstAndGoal

In the Starting Line-Up
One thing I'll add is that accidental discharge doesn't mean a live round was discharged. It just means the weapon went off which is not uncommon on older revolvers like that if you're not handling with care.

PP2

Pro Bowl Player

Which is why I said it starts at the top. A smart EP doesn't hire stupid people.

Reactions: Ian

venecol

The FRG has a little ****
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Which is why I said it starts at the top. A smart EP doesn't hire stupid people.
Not sure if you heard but there's a labor shortage. It’s difficult finding good people.

FirstAndGoal

In the Starting Line-Up
Just read that Fox article. If they were indeed playing loose and fast with live rounds in the same weapons, criminal neglect can't be ruled out after all.

I've always said most people who play with firearms shouldn't be allowed to play with them :maybenot:

I've seen some really dumb and avoidable discharges in my time and one thing you don't do is keep live rounds together at the same time. They shouldn't have been there.... grow up if you can't make a western without firing off live rounds.

Also, if I were the armor, if you use live rounds in the morning, you clear the weapons, clear the range, and lock up the live ammo. Then you check the range and weapons again. Next you unlock the blanks and you load them yourself. Then you have each weapon verified. At that point, you allow the weapons out of your possession and ask the recipient to verify it's got blanks while you stand there and watch.

PP2

Pro Bowl Player
Also, if I were the armor, if you use live rounds in the morning, you clear the weapons, clear the range, and lock up the live ammo. Then you check the range and weapons again. Next you unlock the blanks and you load them yourself. Then you have each weapon verified. At that point, you allow the weapons out of your possession and ask the recipient to verify it's got blanks while you stand there and watch.

Nothing of this sort would ever happen on a competent set. Under absolutely no circumstances would a prop gun be used for any other circumstances than what it specifically is intended for.

This was flat out an amateur production.

FirstAndGoal

In the Starting Line-Up
I'm just surprised those Star Trek phasers didn't kill someone on set or an accidental decapitation of one of the Star Wars actors...must have had a better crew :)

FirstAndGoal

In the Starting Line-Up
Nothing of this sort would ever happen on a competent set. Under absolutely no circumstances would a prop gun be used for any other circumstances than what it specifically is intended for.

This was flat out an amateur production.
Oh, I agree. The premise they would have live rounds anywhere near the set is mind boggling to me. The fact the armorer was not in control of the situation, is truly unbelievable.

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I could train your dopey C- children to run the arms locker. It's not fecking rocket science. Do your job!!

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
THIS^^^^^

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
That's common sense, and clearly these people had none. Further common sense says before you point the gun and pull the trigger you'd check it yourself. I could care less that the armorer or the handler, prop guy, gun guy says it's a "cold gun". In the end, the guy pulling the trigger is responsible for the gun.

Armorer: Here, this is the gun for this scene. It's cold.
Actor: *checks gun*
Armorer: I told you it was cold.
Actor: Are you the one pulling the trigger?
Armorer: No.
Actor: Then I am checking it.

If you really want to nitpick, if the gun was drawn in "practice", where's the trigger control? Don't put your finger on the trigger until you want to shoot.

Yes, I know, Hollywood has different rules, and Baldwin may even be more different. As much as people want to demonize the gun, it's not going to go off on it's own. Everyone involved in this is to blame.