PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Epenesa or Yetur Gross-Matos?

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Almost a coin flip, but I’d go with the Hawkeye.

He can be our legitimate Trey Flowers replacement. Outside on first two downs, inside on passing downs.

What say you? Not easy names to spell.

Prefer Epenesa personally

More pro-ready and well rounded

Either one would be a welcomed addition however...If NE goes edge early I like Chaisson, Epenesa, Lewis, and Baun (whose stock I feel is elevated) the most

Super excited for this team to infuse more youth and further develop their last 2 classes, could be major for the future of the franchise

Gross-Matos for me but it's not a huge gap. I think Gross-Matos has room to grow where Epenesa is what it already is.

I think YGM has a little more upside as a pass rusher. He's just scratching the surface all around but I think he could make real strides there. His frame could handle another 8-10lbs and he'll get there in 2 years once he hits 24. Just turned 22.
Primarily he wins with just length. Big first step, get on top of his man before working those big levers. He has good pop but again once he fills out he'll be able to work off his speed to power. Stutters to come back inside. Spin. He's looser than AJ for sure. Def think he has more upside as a rusher.
As a run defender he's not quite as strong as AJ esp at the poa but it's not a huge gap and again will be closed soon. Again he's a looser player so he has more range to make a play backside.

AJ is probably more NEP-ready than YGM. He's the prototype we look for here. Not flashy. Heavy hands. Control you space. Versatile even though I think YGM is too AJ is more ready to play inside rn.

@borisman kinda hit it. I believe AJ has some areas he could improve but what you're getting is what you see. Where YGM can play now but has a lot more upside all around.

IF BB wants to play more 4-3 after we lost our NT and replaced him with Allen (I don't think he will be even close in replacing DS). i would go for YGM. Otherwise with Epenesa. He can have a bigger Impact in our 3-4 defense. Anyway i hope this won't be our only addition to the D-Line.

It really depends what they want, but I wonder if Epenesa doesn't quite fit the scheme they run now. Last year they were mostly a 3-4 team or played a 2-4-5/1-5-5 on 3rd down. Epenesa can play on 3rd down but he's not athletic enough to play as a 3-4 LB and not big enough to play as a 3-4 end - a bit like the way Wise became a bit part player. Bill is going to want a 3 down player in the 1st round.

If they want a Van Noy replacement, I think Baun could be the guy - although he's a little lighter than I'd like. I'm not convinced by Baun at 23 though. Would prefer him in the 2nd.

I think Josh Uche could be a Jamie Collins type. Really athletic, can rush the passer, and I've seen him dropping into coverage and covering TEs and RBs really well down the field. He's a little smaller than Collins at 6'1 245lbs, but he has long arms.

I do think Terrell Lewis. could be terrific here but his injury history is concerning and I'm not sure if we would take him without a full medical. Has great size at 6'5 265lbs, and is really athletic. Prefer him to Epenesa because of the versatility. I think he can play OLB, and move inside on 3rd down in the Trey Flowers role. Plus can probably trade down 15-20 spots and get him.

The other guy I really like is James Lynch from Baylor as a much cheaper Epenesa. Can probably be had in the 4th round and is 6'4 290. He's a high motor guy, who has some surprising athleticism.

Personally my ideal draft would be to trade into the 35-45 range, pick up a high 3rd, and take one of Lewis or Baun. I'd also take Lynch in the 4th . That would leave roughly picks 70 (estimated) 87, 98, 100 to move around the draft board for a TE, WR, and S.

...Personally my ideal draft would be to trade into the 35-45 range, pick up a high 3rd, and take one of Lewis or Baun. I'd also take Lynch in the 4th . That would leave roughly picks 70 (estimated) 87, 98, 100 to move around the draft board for a TE, WR, and S.
I agree...If all of my top 8 targets are gone by #23 (neither Epenesa nor YGM is among them), then I want to trade down from that spot, acquire a late 2nd/early 3rd, and see if Zach Baun is still on the board...

Espensa reminds me of Seymour but I don’t think he has the burst that Seymour did.

Last edited:
I love Epenesa. That horrendous 40 yard dash scared me a little, but that dude can play.

YGM reminds me of Chandler Jones, and I mean that in a good way.

I love Epenesa. That horrendous 40 yard dash scared me a little, but that dude can play.

YGM reminds me of Chandler Jones, and I mean that in a good way.

the lack of explosiveness by Espinoza will probably send him tumbling down the draft board.

the lack of explosiveness by Espinoza will probably send him tumbling down the draft board.
...or at least until YGM is drafted first...then Epenesa's probably still the next in line at DE...

I think we can get Detroit to send us 35 and 67 for 23, because if they can line up flowers and Espinoza on the outside, they might have the beginnings of a dominant defense, especially if they get more quality corners.

I think we can get Detroit to send us 35 and 67 for 23, because if they can line up flowers and Espinoza on the outside, they might have the beginnings of a dominant defense, especially if they get more quality corners.
If we're trading down, I want to make a couple of small ones first in order to acquire a couple of late 3rds or a late 3rd & a 4th...then trade back into the late 2nd/early 3rd with the extra ammunition ...No way I'm moving all the way down from 23 to 35 in one shot...

Last edited:
Stop calling him Espinoza. If you don't, BB just might draft him out of spite at 23.
Anyways, I don't think he tumbles too far down though I agree he lacks explosion. He's still a tough SOB and you just don't get lucky and get 22 sacks and 31 TFL's in 2 years in the Big Ten.

I suspect that trading down would provide more value than either of these players.

that's a very good deal for us

I don’t know if that’s true, he’s just so fast off the ball. Maybe running 40 yards he’s not fast, but he’s quick off the ball and gets to the QB.

I don’t know if that’s true, he’s just so fast off the ball. Maybe running 40 yards he’s not fast, but he’s quick off the ball and gets to the QB.

except the tape shows, he is not fast off the snap. He is usually last off the snap. But he is powerful. Way more powerful than most of the offensive linemen he faces.

next season though, he will not be going against college kids. He will be going against nfl linemen. Tougher to plow them over. But he is strong enough, I think, to hold up at the point of attack and set a hard edge.

Stop calling him Espinoza. If you don't, BB just might draft him out of spite at 23.
Anyways, I don't think he tumbles too far down though I agree he lacks explosion. He's still a tough SOB and you just don't get lucky and get 22 sacks and 31 TFL's in 2 years in the Big Ten.

Spell check is a bugger.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back