PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ahmad Gardner: elite man-corner who could be available for NE

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Ahmad Gardner just declared for the draft 10 hrs ago.

- Never allowed a passing touchdown in college, ever, in 1000 college snaps.
- Only gave up 130 passing yards all year on guys he covered.
- 3 picks every year for 3 straight years.
- Solid tackler, excellent coverage instincts. Great length to deflect passes.

Elite press man-cover CB who could step in and play CB2 if Mills moves over to FS. He's not the top CB on mediot draft boards and I also like that he's slightly under the radar, could be there in the 20's when the Patriots pick.

Some validating tidbits from the Alabama playoff game:
- Gardner held Alabama's Jameson Williams (1500+ yard WR, expected top15 1st round draft pick) to --2 yards receiving (that's minus 2 yards).
- First game all year that Alabama Heisman winner Bryce Young threw for under 200 passing yards.

Last edited:
If a team needs a press man corner and misses out on stingley, then this is guy.

I think the mediots knock him for not playing in the sec and seeing superior receivers.

I see a guy that could be the next Gilmore if he runs well and gets stronger so physical receivers don’t push him around.

If a team needs a press man corner and misses out on stingley, then this is guy.

I think the mediots knock him for not playing in the sec and seeing superior receivers.

I see a guy that could be the next Gilmore if he runs well and gets stronger so physical receivers don’t push him around.

Agree. He's 6'3 so not a Smurf. Also hard nosed as a press CB. Uses his hands a lot which annoys WRs (good)

I hear you. I saw some chatter about McCreary. I'm not saying he's not good, sounds like he gives up many catches against quick WRs. I get wary when I read reports on CBs who are physical specimens, and then a lot of mumbo jumbo about their fluid (or not fluid) hips and back peddling, etc. This is how the Pats messed up 0 for 8 on recent high CB picks, they overthink it with a lot of long, garbage evals. It's like how teams screw up QB draft evals by over-focusing on arm strength or leg speed instead of play-reads, rhythm, and accuracy. The most important thing for a CB is what's their defensive passer rating on balls thrown and how good was the WR competition they shut down. Ahmad Gardner seems to have the key CB man-cover skill in spades, and it doesn't matter that he's a little lanky in height or frame/build. I can't remember the last time a major D1-school CB came out who had never given up a TD, ever, in college.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Stingley dropped.

He's an incredible athlete and by all accounts has a high football IQ, but he's constantly hurt, lacks focus at times and got torched by NFL calibre WR's. Even though he has the potential to be a generational talent, I'm not super convinced about him as a top 10 pick, I think there are safer bets.

He's an incredible athlete and by all accounts has a high football IQ, but he's constantly hurt, lacks focus at times and got torched by NFL calibre WR's. Even though he has the potential to be a generational talent, I'm not super convinced about him as a top 10 pick, I think there are safer bets.

Given all this, sounds like we wouldn't want him either at #22.....

Mentally wasn't there and all but went through the motions vs Utah and a few other teams when the lights weren't as bright. He's been thinking of the NFL for years, it's obvious. Like mentally preparing and already there and it shows in a few games. Slim and a few others torched him and gave him issues. He's a tremendous talent but checked out in a few games. Perfect Jete. Actually hoping they land even though is potential is crazy. They just can't manage and don't have the culture for someone like him.

George Pickens is another one I talked about a few times. Tremendous talent but like his father an absolute mental case. Perfect Falcon, Steeler, Raven or Chief. Tre Swilling still getting **** on for letting a WR do this to him

Interesting that Ahmad Gardner calls and texts with Jalen Ramsey. Another good sign, I think...

Interesting that Ahmad Gardner calls and texts with Jalen Ramsey. Another good sign, I think...

As long as he plays like Ramsey without all of the other crap that comes along with Ramsey, I’m all in.

1. Opponents have a better passer rating throwing it into the ground than at Ahmad Gardner.
2. Gardner never gave up a completion over 20 yards all season long.

If he's there at #22 the Pats should take this kid. Find a big fat nose tackle later.

1. Opponents have a better passer rating throwing it into the ground than at Ahmad Gardner.
2. Gardner never gave up a completion over 20 yards all season long.

If he's there at #22 the Pats should take this kid. Find a big fat nose tackle later.

when you watch tape on Gardner, the one thing that does impress me, is the close. As the ball heads toward his receiver, he had an extra gear that he kicks in and it allows him to close ground quickly and break up or pick off passes.

I do not know if Gardner is fast enough or if that will work in the pros against 4.3 guys we face (like waddle). But it is impressive on film against mediocre college receivers.

when you watch tape on Gardner, the one thing that does impress me, is the close. As the ball heads toward his receiver, he had an extra gear that he kicks in and it allows him to close ground quickly and break up or pick off passes.

I do not know if Gardner is fast enough or if that will work in the pros against 4.3 guys we face (like waddle). But it is impressive on film against mediocre college receivers.

Not scared of a 9ypc guy in Waddle. and Gardner never gave up a big play in college. Defending guys like Tyreke Hill need a good FS

If he runs well, i.e early 4.4s he will be a top 15 maybe even top 15. Especially with his size. I'd love him at 21 for us.

Seems to be projected between 12 -17. Too many teams need CB and he is ranked 2 behind stingley .

Jeremiah had Gardner going in the top 10.

everything comes down to how Gardner runs, 4.4 probably means top half of the first round. Anything over that causes a drop based on how much more than 4.4 he comes in at.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back