PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After winning Cup: Bruins pick #9 overall in 2011 NHL Draft

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Phil Kessel trade is the reason why the Bruins have the #9 overall pick despite having just won the Stanley Cup.

Notably, the Bruins have already netted the #2 overall pick of 2010, in Tyler Seguin. A potential superstar center who broke out with 4 points (2G, 2A) in the Conference Finals against the Tampa Bay Lightning, leading the Bruins to a huge 6-5 win in game 2.

And the Kessel trade is the trade that keeps giving. Now the Bruins have another selection in the 2011 draft at the #9 slot. Who are the likely candidates?

Defense: The Bruins would like to pair a top defenseman with Chara or perhaps gain a young redline star in the future to look to replace him down the road.

Candidates:
Nathan Beaulieu, 6'3, 191, ON, CA
Dougie Hamilton, 6'4 193, ON, CA
Ryan Murphy, 5'11 176, ON, CA

Offense: The Bruins are stacked at center and Seguin has the potential to be a 1st line center in the future. Therefore wing is likely a bigger need than center if the Bruins choose offense.

Candidates:
Mika Zibanejad, 6'2 192, Sweden
Sven Bartschi, 5'10 185, Switzerland
Joel Armia, 6'3 187, Finland
Mark McNeill, 6'2 210, Edmonton, CA

Last edited:
That list seems to resemble most mock drafts I have seen. The only other name thrown around that I didn't notice on that list is Jonas Brodin. Pierre McGuire seemed to think Boston wants Murphy but he will go earlier and the Bruins will end up with Brodin. That mock was a little different anyway though, so take it for what it's worth.

Doug Hamilton...nice pick. It would be a bonus to see him and Bartkowski together.

Last edited:
Doug Hamilton...nice pick. It would be a bonus to see him and Bartkowski together.

The Islanders were fools for not picking him - he easily should have gone 5th to them. Thanks to the islanders picking Strome a playmaking center and the Jets getting Scheiffle ... C Sean Couturier goes to the Flyers and Hamilton to us.

Ryan Murphy would have been an interesting pick but let's face it with the team we have we will be trading prospects for players these next few years and so Hamilton if we trade him later will have the most value going forward.

That list seems to resemble most mock drafts I have seen. The only other name thrown around that I didn't notice on that list is Jonas Brodin. Pierre McGuire seemed to think Boston wants Murphy but he will go earlier and the Bruins will end up with Brodin. That mock was a little different anyway though, so take it for what it's worth.

The pick is in and the Bruins select Dougie Hamilton! Great pick here imo. This kid was ranked as high as #5 by international scouting reports. He's got better size than Murphy. He's the #2 overall defenseman taken in this draft. Only Larsson is clearly a better prospect.

Notice there was also a big run on defensemen right after the Hamilton pick.
Brodin got taken #10, Siemens #11 and Murphy ended up going #12.

NHL.com - NHL Entry Draft Year by Year Results

Very nice pickup for the B's all things considering.

Note that in addition to Seguin and Hamilton, the Bruins also got a promising forward named Jared Knight in Round 2 of the 2010 draft. The Phil Kessel trade is the trade that keeps giving. :) Thanks for the picks Toronto!

Last edited:
2011 NHL Draft: Grades for Every NHL Team Throughout the First Round | Bleacher Report

Grade: A+
Boom; there it is. The Bruins were the champions of the 2011 playoffs and are now the champions of the NHL Draft, too.
Doug Hamilton has everything. Defense, physicality, aggressiveness, mentality, preparation for the NHL, and even offense are all cards in his deck of tricks. The Bruins will absolutely reep the benefits for years to come from this kid

117154445_display_image.jpg

I don't mind trading prospects for players in the future but if they trade this kid Hamilton we better get something ridiculous.....He could end up being in a top defensive pair in the next couple of years.....Great pick by the B's.....

I was praying he would drop to them. Huge score.

I was praying he would drop to them. Huge score.

I never thought they would get him, great surprise. Murphy isnt their type of defenseman, hes an offensive defenseman that needs to work on his D, Id rather have a defensive defenseman that needs to work on his offense. This kid has put up some points too, love the pick

2011 NHL Entry Draft - Boston Bruins - Draft Picks

Round 1: No. 9 overall (from Toronto)
Round 2: No. 40 overall (from Minnesota)
Round 3: No. 81 overall (from Phoenix Coyotes)
Round 4: No. 121 overall
Round 5: No. 151 overall
Round 6: No. 181 overall.
Round 7: No. 183 overall (from Florida)

I hope we resign Kaberle we lost a conditional 2nd rounder if we made cup and an actual 1st to acquire him. They better resign him. The 2011 Bruins reaffirmed the cliche that "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS"
what a STEAL Hamilton was:cool:

I'm blown away Hamilton lasted until pick 9. Stoke but blown away too. The sports Gods have really shined on New England sports since 2001. It all started with the Patriots and worked it's way to all 4 major teams.

I was so down on the Bruins because of the way they were run into the ground. It seemed everytime we had a good player we wouldn't resign him or just trade him. I always wondered what the Bruins would be like if they had mangement like the Patriots who made smart free agent decisions and drafted well.

Peter Chiarelli, you are a God Send. With your help and the Bruins players I can now say that in my lifetime I have watched all 4 of my teams win a championship. It's a really good feeling and somehow I feel more complete with this Stanley Cup. I'm either or a die hard or need to get a life lol.

Here's Peter Chiarelli reacting to drafting Hamilton. It's obvious that he's very pleased to draft the kid. The Bruins didn't think he'd be there since they didn't even bring him in for an interview. Called it a 'no-brainer' pick. Describes Dougie as a skilled player with 'tremendous skating' ability, good size, etc. Overall a very exciting pick for the B's.
Peter Chiarelli Interview Video - NHL VideoCenter - Boston Bruins

Some experts are calling the Kessel trade and the Hamilton pick a 'slam dunk win' for the Bruins.
http://www.csnne.com/06/25/11/Hamil...anding_bruins.html?blockID=537442&feedID=3352

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back