PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC vs NFC 2019

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know that I'm in the minority here, but I'm a big time follower of the AFC vs the NFC every year. It goes back to the beginning of the AFL when the NFL looked down their noses at us, which still goes on today in spite of the reality that the AFC has been the stronger conference by a large margin over the years.

In spite of an incredibly slow start this year, when the AFC trailed by 12 games, the AFC only trails now by one game, 24-25 (counting the Bills win at Dallas yesterday). The remaining three games this week are SF at Bal, TB at Jac and Phi at Mia. Anything could happen there.

As for their history, counting the first 4 seasons when the AFL and NFL split 2-2 in the title games, the AFC has won the head to head battle in 32 seasons to the NFC's 19. There have been two season ties.

The overall record has the AFC leading by 84 games, 1384 to 1300.

The only place the AFC trails is in SB wins, 24-25. That's in spite of the AFC losing 15 of 16 from 81-96. Hopefully, the AFC will tie it up with a Pats win this year.

I'm so sick of the NFC ball washing and I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this. Do you care or not?

Not particularly, first year in a while that there’s a few legitimately really good team other than the Patriots in the AFC with both Chiefs and Ravens kicking around. AFC was brutal for a few years there after the Broncos and Ravens collapsed.

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I'm a big time follower of the AFC vs the NFC every year. It goes back to the beginning of the AFL when the NFL looked down their noses at us, which still goes on today in spite of the reality that the AFC has been the stronger conference by a large margin over the years.

In spite of an incredibly slow start this year, when the AFC trailed by 12 games, the AFC only trails now by one game, 24-25 (counting the Bills win at Dallas yesterday). The remaining three games this week are SF at Bal, TB at Jac and Phi at Mia. Anything could happen there.

As for their history, counting the first 4 seasons when the AFL and NFL split 2-2 in the title games, the AFC has won the head to head battle in 32 seasons to the NFC's 19. There have been two season ties.

The overall record has the AFC leading by 84 games, 1384 to 1300.

The only place the AFC trails is in SB wins, 24-25. That's in spite of the AFC losing 15 of 16 from 81-96. Hopefully, the AFC will tie it up with a Pats win this year.

I'm so sick of the NFC ball washing and I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this. Do you care or not?

Not really...but I grew up in that 16 year era, particularly watching from the 85' super bowl on. So to me the NFCCG was the SB every year. But I only saw them as two conferences, without the context of seeing them as two separate leagues. So I would say this is probably more generational.

I think this year the NFC is unbalanced, very top heavy. The AFC is more mediocre and has more teams in the middling area.

Not particularly, first year in a while that there’s a few legitimately really good team other than the Patriots in the AFC with both Chiefs and Ravens kicking around. AFC was brutal for a few years there after the Broncos and Ravens collapsed.

I can't stand the constant drumbeat that the NFC is stronger even when it isn't. Especially when it hasn't been for most of the NYFL's history.

One thing that gets overlooked when we constantly hear how strong the NFC is, mainly because they have more teams with 3 or less losses, is the fact that two of the top AFC teams lost their QB's, Pitt for the season and KC for a couple of losses.

Speaking of which, that brings up another question. If a division has more teams with better records and isn't way ahead in the overall head to head battle, doesn't it mean that division could be weaker, not stronger?

As a comparison one can look back at various stages of the 2002 season with the AFC East.

NFL Standings As Of Week 13 of 2002 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look at that, not a single team with a losing record. Per the logic one often hears in regards to other divisions, that 2002 AFC East must have been a really tough division, right?

I would say no. Four average to slightly above average teams, but no 'very good' or 'great' teams. Therefore not a particularly good division; nothing special. Though they should be considered to be better than the AFC North, with three teams fattening up their record by way of two games apiece against Cincy.

Speaking of the mighty NFC East, here are the cumulative division records versus non-conference opponents this year.

AFC East - 10-4
NFC East - 4-10

NFC West - 9-4
AFC North - 4-9

NFC North - 7-6
AFC West - 6-7

NFC South - 5-4
AFC South - 4-5

So much for the theory about the NFC East and AFC North always being the NFL's best divisions.

Speaking of the mighty NFC East, here are the cumulative division records versus non-conference opponents this year.

AFC East - 10-4
NFC East - 4-10

NFC West - 9-4
AFC North - 4-9

NFC North - 7-6
AFC West - 6-7

NFC South - 5-4
AFC South - 4-5

So much for the theory about the NFC East and AFC North always being the NFL's best divisions.

The NFCE has been horrible this year but is still over-rated. For most of this season they had two teams rated higher than a Bills team with a better record. That should end now that the Bills stomped the Jones Boys in Dallas.

The AFCN has had two decent to good teams for years, but then Big Ben went down this year and ended that. All the talk this off season was about the Browns but they haven't lived up to those expectations. What a shocker.

Going into this Sunday the NFC holds a one game edge over the AFC and these are the remaining games (this weeks games are marked with an asterisk);

Bal - SF*
Cle - at Ariz
Den - Det
Hou - at TB
Indy - at TB, at NO, Car (oddly, 3 of their last 4 games)
Jac - TB*, at Atl
KC - at Chi
LC - Min
Mia - Phi*, at NYG
Pitt - at Ari
Ten - NO

I don't think there's an AFC/NFC bias in general but do think the NFCE year in and year out is dramatically overrated. I thought coming into this year they would be lucky to have a ten win team and it's looking to be true.

I think the thing is during the 80's and the first half of the 90's the NFC really was that much better than the AFC. But around that the AFC dominated the 70's and 2000's.

The 2010's it's been pretty balanced.

The NFCE has been horrible this year but is still over-rated. For most of this season they had two teams rated higher than a Bills team with a better record. That should end now that the Bills stomped the Jones Boys in Dallas.

The AFCN has had two decent to good teams for years, but then Big Ben went down this year and ended that. All the talk this off season was about the Browns but they haven't lived up to those expectations. What a shocker.

With the NFCE you have two teams that have the talent, but fail to live up to it. The names are big enough where the national media fails to identify the flaws - maybe even actively avoid them - because Wentz! Zeke! Dak!

Not really...but I grew up in that 16 year era, particularly watching from the 85' super bowl on. So to me the NFCCG was the SB every year. But I only saw them as two conferences, without the context of seeing them as two separate leagues. So I would say this is probably more generational.

I think this year the NFC is unbalanced, very top heavy. The AFC is more mediocre and has more teams in the middling area.

Having a sprinkle of teams with little to no losses is indicative of anything but a stacked division. In fact, you'd probably be better off assuming that competition was particularly weak any year that happens.

That being said, the sheer consistency year in and year out of the Patriots makes the AFC markedly more difficult to succeed in. Everyone in the East is just hoping to make the wild card. Normally teams lose to the Patriots so it's nearly a given L to any team on their schedule. It's hard to work make up for a loss in the NFL. - and the Patriots pretty much guarantee you one.

With the NFCE you have two teams that have the talent, but fail to live up to it. The names are big enough where the national media fails to identify the flaws - maybe even actively avoid them - because Wentz! Zeke! Dak!

I don't know how to judge talent. I've also been told that the Bears and Browns are talented.

The Dallas at Philly game should be interesting. The loser will probably be out of the playoffs entirely.

1. Fox wants to televise teams from big markets
2. NFC East contains big market teams
2b. (Why is Dallas in the NFC 'east'?)
3. Networks hype the game and stars to attract more viewers
4. NFL fans continually see NFC East teams
5. Fans become more familiar with NFC East teams and players
6. Fans buy into the hype machine
7. Fans want more of what they believe are the good teams
8. Wash, rinse, repeat

It's comparable to hearing same songs over and over again, whether it be on the radio or via an internet service. The content provider claims they play those songs so frequently because that is what people want to hear. But how can they decide that they do or do not like songs outside that playlist if they never have a chance to hear them?

Every year there are plenty of times when a better game does not get broadcast to neutral markets, and instead the country gets yet another NFC East game.

The top of the NFC is more competitive this year (49ers, Seahawks, Saints, Packers, Vikings) where as the AFC is really just us and one other team typically. But the AFC just seems to have the best team in general ;)

The top of the NFC is more competitive this year (49ers, Seahawks, Saints, Packers, Vikings) where as the AFC is really just us and one other team typically. But the AFC just seems to have the best team in general ;)

It's a lot closer in the AFC now that the Pats lost and more teams are in play.

As for the AFC/NFC battle, the AFC finally caught up for the season after a terrible start and are tied at 26-26 with two games this week, Pitt at Ariz and Indy at TB.

After this week the AFC will have 2 less home games with 10 to play. The only tough game they will have left is Indy at NO. The rest are against the NFCE pancakes plus Det at Den, KC at Chi and Min at LC. I like the AFC's chances.

After the split last week the conferences are tied with 27 wins each. These are the games this week;
Clev at Ariz
Indy at NO
Mia at NYG
Min at LAC

Miami and Cleveland need to come through to keep it even. I don't see Minny or the Saints losing.

That will leave the last 6 games for next week;
Det at Den
Hou at TB
Car at Ind
Jac at Atl
KC at Chi
NO at Ten

Go AFC!

KC won the SB to finally even up the all-time SB series at 27-27.

The AFC won 12 of the first 18 SB's. After the NFC won 13 straight from 84-96 to take a 19-12 series lead, the AFC won 9 of the next 15 to pull within 4.

The first time the AFC had a chance to pull even was in 2009, when Indy lost to NO. The Pats had the next chance but lost to Philly in 2017. The latest SB win was the AFC's 6th in the last 8 years.

Congrats to the KC Chiefs on finally getting rid of the only edge that the NFC has had over the AFC. It was a long time coming.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back