PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ABC was pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWorldChamps

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Im glad they lost MNF! They spent the fourth quarter self-promoting, while the game was far from out of reach... yeah, i really gave a sh!t who was 3rd production assistant during a play with 9 mintues to go in the game, instead of showing a replay....
No one really cares what network MNF is on, as long as we can watch it... maybe they should have provided good coverage instead of showing their old highlights.

Is there ANYTHING ABC or ESPN or CBS can do to please you people?

Agreed. I've never seen such an onanastic self-congratulatory tribute in my life. And you're right, the kicker is, outside of ABC, NO ONE F***ING CARES!

And they are going to be on ESPN anyway, so its not like they've even gone anywhere. Just pathetic.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
Lots and lots, which is why we're grouchs. :p

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:

Yes. Properly announce a football game by following the action on the field and updating me--the viewer--with relevant information.

re:

Random question that was bugging me while watching all those highlights:

So Disney owns ABC, and it also owns ESPN. What was the rationale for moving MNF to ESPN? Did ESPN out-bid ABC for monday night football broadcasting rights? I am going to assume that ESPN did this before Disney bought ESPN. If that is the case, after MNF moves to ESPN, will Disney end up losing or making money on the MNF franchise?

Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks.

maverick4 said:

So Disney owns ABC, and it also owns ESPN. What was the rationale for moving MNF to ESPN? Did ESPN out-bid ABC for monday night football broadcasting rights? I am going to assume that ESPN did this before Disney bought ESPN. If that is the case, after MNF moves to ESPN, will Disney end up losing or making money on the MNF franchise?

ABC was losing $$$ and decided to dump the program. The NFL shopped things around and ESPN felt they could make money with it having a captive audience vice a broadcast audience.

maverick4 said:

ABC believes it can get better ratings with network football on Sunday night when everyone is already watching football all day and they don't have to worry about the PST factor, i.e. people on the West Coast rushing home from work to watch MNF.

Then on Monday night, they will get better ratings on ESPN with the NFL than they were getting with ice skating, and that they will hopefully come up with good enough programming on ABC to achieve comparable ratings on Monday night as to what MNF was getting on ABC.

It actually makes quite a bit of sense and they should have done it years ago when the mystique of MNF had already well worn off.

tombonneau said:
ABC believes it can get better ratings with network football on Sunday night when everyone is already watching football all day and they don't have to worry about the PST factor, i.e. people on the West Coast rushing home from work to watch MNF.

Then on Monday night, they will get better ratings on ESPN with the NFL than they were getting with ice skating, and that they will hopefully come up with good enough programming on ABC to achieve comparable ratings on Monday night as to what MNF was getting on ABC.

It actually makes quite a bit of sense and they should have done it years ago when the mystique of MNF had already well worn off.
ABC has Desperate Boobs on then, so NBC bought the Sunday night broadcast.

Box_O_Rocks said:
ABC has Desperate Boobs on then, so NBC bought the Sunday night broadcast.

Duh. That's right. It's been a long weekend. So long its already Monday night.

Part of what I said still makes sense though. :)

Box_O_Rocks said:
ABC was losing $$$ and decided to dump the program. The NFL shopped things around and ESPN felt they could make money with it having a captive audience vice a broadcast audience.

Thanks!

This is interesting, since Disney is simply showing MNF on a different channel that they own. So Disney isn't really dumping MNF. It is also odd that ESPN would out-bid ABC for the MNF contract - they were competing with only each other, since NBC and CBS have Letterman and Leno, and wouldn't bid for MNF rights. Also, in response to another poster, I believe ABC is not showing football at all next year, as NBC will take over ESPN's rights to sunday night football.

I found some links related to this stuff, in case anyone else is interested in this random topic:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63538-2005Apr18.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130

Thanks for those who answered my question. My apologies if you had no interest whatsoever in this.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
Duh. That's right. It's been a long weekend. So long its already Monday night.

Part of what I said still makes sense though. :)
Part makes sense? There goes your perfect record. ;)

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
talk about the game while it is being played? Some of us really would rather watch the game than a graphic of camera operators, but that's just us.

spacecrime said:
talk about the game while it is being played? Some of us really would rather watch the game than a graphic of camera operators, but that's just us.

The worst part about the MNF announcing is even if you want to switch them off and listen to radio, you have to deal with a delay. Haha.

Was a funny situation watching a MNF game in a box in Gillette a few months (vs. Indy :( ) -- you have the MNF TV monitors you can look at, which are at least 7 seconds behind, so you can watch a play on the field then turn to watch the "replay" on "live" TV, all the while with the radio broadcast blaring, which is already a good 3 seconds behind the live action.

I believe that is what they call information overload.

ABC can't even manage to cover a retrospective tribute properly. The only thing even remotely interesting would have been actually seeing and hearing some clips from MNF. Instead, they set it to some stupid soundtrack song. Figures.

What drives me nuts, besided the lists of people, is when they show the 2 guys in the booth, during the game, talking to each other. I mean its 2 guys in suits just standing there, and the play is going on. How stupid can TV people be, they are supposed to be heard at a football game and not seen.

tombonneau said:
The worst part about the MNF announcing is even if you want to switch them off and listen to radio, you have to deal with a delay. Haha.

He heeeeeeeeeeee Not me, I've got a DVR, so I just pause the game until it gets to the point the internet radio is at and then start it. It's a bit of a ***** to get synched but once it's synched it's awesome.

The funniest MNF memory was told by Frank Gifford on the NFL Network pregame show.

Gifford recounted his phone call to Don Merideth telling him that Kathy Lee Gifford was expecting their first child (this was when Frank G. must have been about 80 years old).

According to Gifford, "Dandy Don paused for a moment upon hearing the news and then said, 'Don't worry, Frank, I'll get that son of a ***** no matter who he is...."

maverick4 said:
It is also odd that ESPN would out-bid ABC for the MNF contract - they were competing with only each other, since NBC and CBS have Letterman and Leno, and wouldn't bid for MNF rights.

The NFL has essentially switched Sunday Night with Monday Night next year. The Sunday night package is going to get the better schedule and also have the ability to change the time of games late in the season so they get the premier match-up of the week.

Monday Night Football next year will be the one that fufills the NFL's goal of getting every team on in prime time so it will have the Lions, Cardinals, etc. Sunday night does that now.

All ESPN did was retain the package it already had.

dhamz said:
The NFL has essentially switched Sunday Night with Monday Night next year. The Sunday night package is going to get the better schedule and also have the ability to change the time of games late in the season so they get the premier match-up of the week.

Most of this is "so what?" -- they switched networks.

This ability to switch games mid-stream could be a real problem for some people. You plan to go to a 1 pm game on the road, get a flight back that night so you can work the next day ... and then they change your game to a night game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes