PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a big difference between what AB and what TO did. For all of TOs craziness he didn’t go so crazy as to basically force the team to cut him. AB went right over that line in Oakland. That, even moreso than the stuff with women, is what AB is getting punished for, IMHO.

If players feel they can shoot themselves out of town for greener pastures with no consequences that has far larger, negative consequences for the NFL than a few extra empty seats or TV eyeballs because AB’s not playing ever will.

Two questions.
1) If ABs actions in Oakland were so egregious why was he allowed to sign with the Pats?
2) If AB wasn't suspended by the Pats could he still be playing?

Those reports state that it’s a possibility *IF* the NFL hasn’t concluded their investigation. Important part there. Why would the NFL drag their feet on that and why would they want to keep a talent like Brown off the field? All that does is lessen their product. And that’s without even considering time served coupled with the fact that the charges against him are flimsy at best.

The NYFL suspended the GOAT QB for nothing. Anything is possible

The NYFL suspended the GOAT QB for nothing. Anything is possible
When did he miss 3 months of in-season time prior to that suspension?

I know it's farfetched but if you're Rosenhaus (and let's just pretend AB isn't a complete idiot) but what if you tell the Saints, or any team in the league, AB will sign right now for the veteran minimum for the rest of the year. Basically hope you force the league's hand and try and get them to make a decision on a suspension length. Also that way they can attempt to argue that while he was on the exempt list that should count as part of his suspension. As of right now he is just sitting out there not gaining any credit to games missed due to some sort of league penalty.

I think having AB on the Pats this season would’ve eliminated the woes and could be looking at another 16-0.

Having such a bizarre HOF athlete on a team that went 16-0, I would have to imagine, would drive ratings tremendously. What else does the NFL want more than to be the topic of conversation 7 days a week? This would amp up the hate sauce by a magnitude of ghost pepper.

Antonio Brown is a distraction. He's the antithesis of what has made the Patriots successful for 20 years. The record would be worse if they'd tolerated one more minute of his misogynistic, me-first, disinterested in the team, behavior.

If you think this team has competed for a championship in every year since 2001 because they amassed talent and didn't build a team, you are sadly mistaken. Take a minute to look at the Raiders and the Redskins, and this season's Browns, for a clue to teams that hire expensive, talented veterans and see how they have done.

Bill Belichick's biggest personnel mistakes are Antonio Brown, Chad Ochocinco, Adalius Thomas, and Albert Haynesworth. It's sad because he's found so many great Patriots in free agency - Danny Amendola, Kyle Van Noy, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, James Develin, Junior Seau, Roman Phifer, Ron Ninkovich, etc.

Antonio Brown does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with any of those guys.

Antonio Brown is a distraction. He's the antithesis of what has made the Patriots successful for 20 years. The record would be worse if they'd tolerated one more minute of his misogynistic, me-first, disinterested in the team, behavior.

If you think this team has competed for a championship in every year since 2001 because they amassed talent and didn't build a team, you are sadly mistaken. Take a minute to look at the Raiders and the Redskins, and this season's Browns, for a clue to teams that hire expensive, talented veterans and see how they have done.

Bill Belichick's biggest personnel mistakes are Antonio Brown, Chad Ochocinco, Adalius Thomas, and Albert Haynesworth. It's sad because he's found so many great Patriots in free agency - Danny Amendola, Kyle Van Noy, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, James Develin, Junior Seau, Roman Phifer, Ron Ninkovich, etc.

Antonio Brown does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with any of those guys.

+1.

The AB Magical Thinkers are either a) innocent newbies or b) folks who’ve been here but for some reason have not grasped what has continually been presented as Belichick’s seminar every day of the week for 20 consecutive seasons.

It’s truly fascinating.

You are aware that they have both amassed talent and built a team, and that is why they have won over the years... yes? Do I even have to go name by name down the list of the core guys for each bookend of the dynasty and ask you if you thought they were talented or not?

You are aware that they have both amassed talent and built a team, and that is why they have won over the years... yes? Do I even have to go name by name down the list of the core guys for each bookend of the dynasty and ask you if you thought they were talented or not?

....and how many of those guys were me-first distractions on the order of Antonio Brown?

....and how many of those guys were me-first distractions on the order of Antonio Brown?

I could answer this with ease starting at about the 2004 season. And that’s without considering that NFL players are all me-first, and that’s proven when they’re up for new contracts. But first, what does this have to do with the claim that I responded to?

I could answer this with ease starting at about the 2004 season. And that’s without considering that NFL players are all me-first, and that’s proven when they’re up for new contracts. But first, what does this have to do with the claim that I responded to?

Ok. Once again, on the order of what we have seen from Antonio Brown this year. Who????

The four games that were stolen from Brady has cost him the all-time regular season TD record. Apparently that means a lot to a lot of people. Maybe even to Brady.

Then add into that the fact that TB12 accepted AB only to have the team dump him a week or so later. That had a major impact on how many TDs Brady has had this year.

Brady lost a lot more than he should have.

The four games that were stolen from Brady has cost him the all-time regular season TD record. Apparently that means a lot to a lot of people. Maybe even to Brady.

Then add into that the fact that TB12 accepted AB only to have the team dump him a week or so later. That had a major impact on how many TDs Brady has had this year.

I don’t think Brady’s crying about it.

There was no real precedent for the Deflategate punishment (unless you call Spygate the precedent, but that itself was unprecedented), just like there's no precedent for doing what they're doing to AB. I still think they're doing it (dragging the decision to artificially increase his suspension with no intention of counting it as time served). NFL doesn't give a **** about fairness or precedents.

If you don't think Brees was going to get it either way with the pace these two QBs have been throwing TDs in recent years, it's pure delusion. And even if the suspension did cost Brady the record, it's extremely lame to care.

I know it's farfetched but if you're Rosenhaus (and let's just pretend AB isn't a complete idiot) but what if you tell the Saints, or any team in the league, AB will sign right now for the veteran minimum for the rest of the year. Basically hope you force the league's hand and try and get them to make a decision on a suspension length. Also that way they can attempt to argue that while he was on the exempt list that should count as part of his suspension. As of right now he is just sitting out there not gaining any credit to games missed due to some sort of league penalty.

It seems like behind every diva WR is Drew Rosenhaus. At what point will we realize he's not some highly responsible dude who constantly micromanages his clients and cleans after their messes? As far as I can tell, he plants the seed in their heads that they deserve way more money than the contract they negotiated a year ago, and probably just says "X is crazy, you're the man" anytime there's a disagreement or controversy involving the player.

My point in all of this: we shouldn't assume the agent will be the voice of reason. Brown may not be the egomaniac he is today without a superstar agent inflating his self worth and fighting for money he didn't necessarily even deserve.

There was no real precedent for the Deflategate punishment (unless you call Spygate the precedent, but that itself was unprecedented), just like there's no precedent for doing what they're doing to AB. I still think they're doing it (dragging the decision to artificially increase his suspension with no intention of counting it as time served). NFL doesn't give a **** about fairness or precedents.
The NFL can’t make good decisions because they think they are supposed to make decisions based upon social
Justice warrior desires. They allowed themselves, as far back as Vick, to be put into a position to cave to any one who has a social justice issue with any of their players.
The league ridiculously operates on the bizarre belief that it is their responsibility to prove to the world that their players are the shining model of how people should act.
Brown is being handled this way because they think being draconian against anyone who does anything that any group will complain about is the only way to protect their cash cow.

You know the exact moment I knew AB was legit crazy? It was right after he caught the back shoulder throw from Brady. I remember thinking he was either the most mentally strong person I have ever seen or bat **** crazy. How can you find the right faculty to practice that and execute effortlessly like that with your whole world crumbling around you. In the end I concluded that he was crazy.
There is no telling what his bipolar like behavior would have created on this team. in saying this, I will sign him today.

Last edited:
It seems like behind every diva WR is Drew Rosenhaus. At what point will we realize he's not some highly responsible dude who constantly micromanages his clients and cleans after their messes? As far as I can tell, he plants the seed in their heads that they deserve way more money than the contract they negotiated a year ago, and probably just says "X is crazy, you're the man" anytime there's a disagreement or controversy involving the player.

My point in all of this: we shouldn't assume the agent will be the voice of reason. Brown may not be the egomaniac he is today without a superstar agent inflating his self worth and fighting for money he didn't necessarily even deserve.
According to Forbes he has 98 clients. One or two of them are bound to be nut jobs every few years.

Ok. Once again, on the order of what we have seen from Antonio Brown this year. Who????
This is the claim that I responded to...

If you think this team has competed for a championship in every year since 2001 because they amassed talent and didn't build a team, you are sadly mistaken.

You will notice that it doesn’t say anything about character. Just about collecting talent. So how is this question...

...at all relevant to the contention that the team didn’t collect talent and the subsequent response that they did, indeed, collect talent while molding it into a football team at the same time? Please provide some relevance here lest your follow-up question to me be dismissed as a red herring. When I see some relevance, we can go through the long list of character/me-first guys this team has signed since BB took control. Not that I think I should have to as you damn well who they are.

Nor have I contended at any point in this thread that they do. That should be clear. What I’m asking is what reason they would have, from a pure business perspective, to keep a talent and a marketing dream like Brown off the field any longer than the 3 months he’s already served? Why would they want to do that when it’s clear that all they care about is increasing their revenues, even if that increase is an incremental one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back