PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clear him with the NFL, who acts as their own “court of law.” Obviously, they’ll need to clear him in order to allow him to play.

Neither Elliot nor Roethlisberger were charged by the police, and they both received suspensions.

I’ve enjoyed your thoughts on the matter, but the idea that there are 31 other teams who are just sitting back without signing him is silly. He’s obviously been blackballed and the league is taking their time reaching a conclusion.

In effect, a suspension.

Payton wore a Goodell clown shirt. I don’t think the league will do the Saints any favors. He will go on the exempt list as soon as they would have signed him and I’m sure NO knew that.

Imagine Brady watching Brees throw to Thomas, Cook and possibly Brown.

Meanwhile Brady’s chucking to Meyers who is dropping easy balls hitting him in the numbers while we all say “Hey, even with that, not bad for UDFA”
Imagine Brees having a defense like the Patriots do?

Imagine Brady watching Brees throw to Thomas, Cook and possibly Brown.

Meanwhile Brady’s chucking to Meyers who is dropping easy balls hitting him in the numbers while we all say “Hey, even with that, not bad for UDFA”

Imagine! :D

I asked for the source of people claiming the opposite for months now. Nobody is providing any, so until proven wrong I will proceed with this opinion. YMMV.

A suspension can only be sat out -- even as a FA -- if it was actually handed down. As long as AB doesn't land on the exempt list or receives some kind of specific ruling he is free to practice and play upon signing.

Once he is on the list -- or officially suspended -- obviously the games missed due to that might be taken into consideration.

I asked for the source of people claiming the opposite for months now. Nobody is providing any, so until proven wrong I will proceed with this opinion. YMMV.

A suspension can only be sat out -- even as a FA -- if it was actually handed down. As long as AB doesn't land on the exempt list or receives some kind of specific ruling he is free to practice and play upon signing.

Once he is on the list -- or officially suspended -- obviously the games missed due to that might be taken into consideration.
He’s effectively been blackballed by the league and has sat out an entire year. I’m not sure why you think the NFL wouldn’t consider that once they’re done playing kangaroo court. Having a primo talent on the field is better for the game and for business.

Having a primo talent on the field is better for the game and for business.
Not sure why you keep repeating that as if it’s some kind of gospel. The NFL doesn’t care about that. A certain suspension served at the beginning of 2016 proves the NFL doesn’t have that as a first priority.

Not sure why you keep repeating that as if it’s some kind of gospel. The NFL doesn’t care about that. A certain suspension served at the beginning of 2016 proves the NFL doesn’t have that as a first priority.
When did Brady miss 3 months prior to that suspension being handed down? But you’re right about one thing. For being billionaires, they are certainly some stupid businessmen.

Clear him with the NFL, who acts as their own “court of law.” Obviously, they’ll need to clear him in order to allow him to play.

Neither Elliot nor Roethlisberger were charged by the police, and they both received suspensions.

I’ve enjoyed your thoughts on the matter, but the idea that there are 31 other teams who are just sitting back without signing him is silly. He’s obviously been blackballed and the league is taking their time reaching a conclusion.

yes I agree he’s been blackballed without due process

Receiver who just broke the all time single season catch record, a top 10 tight end, and top 5 running back, and a top 5 offensive line not enough for the GOAT Brees. The dome gnome needs more help to get a 2nd ring
The GOAT is TFB!!!

Suspension yes, but not pay. So if they give him a contract today its paid for this week only and then nothing after that if he goes on exempt list. So its very low risk knowing they wont get him this year. You essentially pay him 1 week this year.
Brilliant move by saints

So somebody signing AB could be helping him by getting the NFL to sh!t or get off the pot.

He’s effectively been blackballed by the league and has sat out an entire year. I’m not sure why you think the NFL wouldn’t consider that once they’re done playing kangaroo court. Having a primo talent on the field is better for the game and for business.

I don't think the NFL sees any difference financially having Brown playing versus not having him.

When all is said and done I expect him to get a 6 game suspension that will get reduced to 4. Or maybe 4 to 2. But this entire thing has been way too high profile and his social media presence the definition of conduct detrimental for the league to just put their hands up and say "lol, all good".

I don't necessarily agree with it mostly because of the entire civil suit angle that is involved and got it all rolling. But in the end AB lashing out on IG, txt msgs or Twitter is all on him.

I also think you are overthinking the "prime talent" angle. There are many superstars in the league and new ones rise up every year. I am not sure one of them being kept off the field -- who also ends up a volatile person -- does anything to the bottomline.

I think having AB on the Pats this season would’ve eliminated the woes and could be looking at another 16-0.

Having such a bizarre HOF athlete on a team that went 16-0, I would have to imagine, would drive ratings tremendously. What else does the NFL want more than to be the topic of conversation 7 days a week? This would amp up the hate sauce by a magnitude of ghost pepper.

I think having AB on the Pats this season would’ve eliminated the woes and could be looking at another 16-0.

Having such a bizarre HOF athlete on a team that went 16-0, I would have to imagine, would drive ratings tremendously. What else does the NFL want more than to be the topic of conversation 7 days a week? This would amp up the hate sauce by a magnitude of ghost pepper.
Yep. Plus the loss of jersey sales and the revenue that brings in. The NFL is ultimately a better league with more talent on the field. Brown is a borderline HOF talent at this point and will probably be voted in based on the sheer volume of stats he produced as a whole. Anyone who thinks that business isn’t better for the NFL with a talent like Brown on the field is kidding themselves and doesn’t know the first thing about how a business actually operates. What people should be saying is that the business model is strong enough to survive without a talent like Brown on the field. That would actually be the correct stance.

When all is said and done I expect him to get a 6 game suspension that will get reduced to 4. Or maybe 4 to 2. But this entire thing has been way too high profile and his social media presence the definition of conduct detrimental for the league to just put their hands up and say "lol, all good".

I don't necessarily agree with it mostly because of the entire civil suit angle that is involved and got it all rolling. But in the end AB lashing out on IG, txt msgs or Twitter is all on him.

I also think you are overthinking the "prime talent" angle. There are many superstars in the league and new ones rise up every year. I am not sure one of them being kept off the field -- who also ends up a volatile person -- does anything to the bottomline.
That personality would drive increased ratings, jersey sales, word of mouth, and press coverage. He’s a marketer’s dream. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think that had some sort of impact on revenues. As I said in my last post, your rebuttal should be that the business model is strong enough to survive the loss of a borderline HOF talent like Brown. You’d get no argument from me there. But to argue that the overall talent pool taking a hit had no effect on the bottom line, as you do in your last sentence, is absurd. The NFL is driven by talent on the field and Brown is arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL, playing in his prime still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes