PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Schazt is a Schmuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5199720

The guy ranked us at #12 in the power rankings behind the Skins, Bungles, Steelers, Giants, Chargers, Jags, and Panthers. Fair enough on his top 4 with Indi, Denver, Seattle, and KC with KC being questionable this high. There is no way that NE is #12. ESPN=#4, CBS=#5. He is an obvious Pats hater. I wouldn't be mad if he even ranked us at 7 or 8, but 12 is ridiculous.

The Patriots lead the league in preventing long runs; only 10 percent of rushing yards have come 10 or more yards past the line of scrimmage. Last year, the Patriots led the league in preventing long runs, allowing just seven percent of rushing yards 10 or more yards past the line of scrimmage. In 2003, the Patriots led the league in preventing long runs, allowing just six percent of rushing yards 10 or more yards past the line of scrimmage. No other team in the league has even been in the top 10 in this category all three seasons.

Lol and we are still number 12 xD

Digger44 said:

The guy ranked us at #12 in the power rankings behind the Skins, Bungles, Steelers, Giants, Chargers, Jags, and Panthers. Fair enough on his top 4 with Indi, Denver, Seattle, and KC with KC being questionable this high. There is no way that NE is #12. ESPN=#4, CBS=#5. He is an obvious Pats hater. I wouldn't be mad if he even ranked us at 7 or 8, but 12 is ridiculous.

1. As he makes clear, his rankings are based on a statistical algorithm -- nothing personal.

2. His name is Schatz.

3. He is a Pats fan.

Its a math formula. Nothing subjective about how the teams rank. Aaron is a local guy and a Pats fan.

Digger44 said:
He is an obvious Pats hater.
Actually, he is from New England and is a Patriots fan. The problem with his numbers is that it's a season long thing and we all know the team that's on the field now is vastly different from the one that accumulated about half those stats. If he had numbers for games starting, say, after the Indy game, things would look better and more realistic for where the team actually is.

CHFF also ranks the Pats lower than ten, and they're certainly not anti-Patriot. Hey, face it... for a good part of the season, they sucked. Especially on defense, but also on offense somewhat.

BelichickFan said:
Actually, he is from New England and is a Patriots fan. The problem with his numbers is that it's a season long thing and we all know the team that's on the field now is vastly different from the one that accumulated about half those stats. If he had numbers for games starting, say, after the Indy game, things would look better and more realistic for where the team actually is.

Actually, the formula only takes into account the last eight games. The problem is that in the last eight games, we've beaten stellar teams like Buffalo, the Jets twice, and New Orleans. We have two quality wins against Miami and Tampa, a blowout loss against Indy, and another bad loss against Kansas City.

Next week, the Indianapolis game drops off the ledge, and if we beat Miami, we'll shoot up quite a bit.

People who whine and b!tch about "Power Rankings" kill me everytime. They love anybody's who has the Patriots up high, and anybody who has them lower than they think they should be is a moron, schmuck, or Jets fan, even if it's the same person. They're freakin' opinion pieces folks, and meant to be controversial.

There are only two rankings that I know of that are done on a consistent, formulaic basis, Aaron's being one. Do you like Peter King's better, when in consecutive weeks the Patriots are ranked eighth, out of the top 15, and second?

The other thing to remember is that these are predictive rankings. In other words, how likely a team is to win going forward, not based on what they did in the past. Hell, for that, you can get a newspaper.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Actually, the formula only takes into account the last eight games.
Looking back at last week's, it's in between. All games are accounted for but the last 8 are weighted more heavily :

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5184072

"The Patriots are back!

So wait a minute, if the Patriots are back and dangerous again, why aren't they in the top ten? The FOXSports.com Power Rankings are based on a statistical system that measures the entire season. While games early in the year drop in importance so that we can get a picture of how teams are playing now, the last eight games for each team are all at full strength.
"

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Actually, the formula only takes into account the last eight games.

To be pedantic (and how can you not be pedantic with the FootballOutsiders approach to football?) I think that it does take into account previous games, but that it weights them less if they are prior to the last eight games. There is, apparently, a lot of "drag" from early in the season (the Pats are number 12 now and would be 13 for the season as a whole -- see also what he has to say about Chicago).

dryheat44 said:
People who whine and b!tch about "Power Rankings" kill me everytime. They love anybody's who has the Patriots up high, and anybody who has them lower than they think they should be is a moron, schmuck, or Jets fan, even if it's the same person. They're freakin' opinion pieces folks, and meant to be controversial.

Totally agree!

reaad what he has to say for the redskins

This guy would be great ranking college football!

scout said:
This guy would be great ranking college football!

That would be cool. He could do the BCS. The problem, I think, is that we go from 16 games a week to analyze, to, I don't know, 60?

In the same paragraph you contradict yourself. This post was purely an opinion post so therefore I am allowed to give my freekin' opinion, yet you critique my expression of controversy while defending somebody who I feel is a schmuck for his opinion. I don't have to agree with his method of data gathering. That is my right and my opinion. People who supress other's opinion kill me every time. If you actualy took time to read the original post, I said I had no problems ranking the Pats lower. Try reading what was written.

Dude...you're hysterical. Let me re-post the original post here, since you apparently can't bother to remember or re-read your own words:

Digger44 said:

You can give all the opinion you want, but I'm giving you facts:

1. Aaron Schatz is a Patriots die-hard, therefore he is not a Pats hater, and certainly not an obvious one.

2. ESPN and CBS are not acceptable authorities to cite to defend your point.

3. His ranking is the Patriots is NOT opinion. Every other Power Ranking out there IS that person's opinion.

And one opinion:

1. You think a diehard Pats fan is a Schmuck because he can maintain a degree of objectivity in his work. That makes you the schmuck in this equation.

dryheat44 said:
Dude...you're hysterical. Let me re-post the original post here, since you apparently can't bother to remember or re-read your own words:

You can give all the opinion you want, but I'm giving you facts:

1. Aaron Schatz is a Patriots die-hard, therefore he is not a Pats hater, and certainly not an obvious one.

2. ESPN and CBS are not acceptable authorities to cite to defend your point.

3. His ranking is the Patriots is NOT opinion. Every other Power Ranking out there IS that person's opinion.

And one opinion:

1. You think a diehard Pats fan is a Schmuck because he can maintain a degree of objectivity in his work. That makes you the schmuck in this equation.

oooo darn, dry&inheat called me a schmuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing