PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A few Patriots have guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
(in my best Tyler voice)

Gaffney's got a gun...

This is absurd.The Globe needs to find something important to write about.

I've carried a cannon around with me and it never hurt anyone. Quite the opposite. :rocker:

We know Gaffney has one. He got caught with it in the wrong state and got in minor trouble.

Owning guns is pretty common outside of northern cities.

So freaking what as long as they abide by the law. People act as if guns are evil. Try reading some documents that our country was founded on. What were they called again? Oh wait, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and other key hostorical documents just do not matter because the media would rather promote their anti-gun agenda. Just ridiculous. Why can't we just ask pro athletes to be law abiding citizens?

They are all registered and legal....and allowed under the constitution of the USA as another poster noted,yes,what is the point of that article?Tank Johnson had several Unregistered weapons,which is a concern and a big difference....and if I heard or read correctly one of Johnson's firearms was an assault rifle,which has no use as a hunting firearm..

They are all registered and legal....and allowed under the constitution of the USA as another poster noted,yes,what is the point of that article?Tank Johnson had several Unregistered weapons,which is a concern and a big difference....and if I heard or read correctly one of Johnson's firearms was an assault rifle,which has no use as a hunting firearm..

You are pretty close to being correct. For some reason the media has forced the public into believing that all firearms need to be registered. This is way off base. While there are certain licenses and permissions granted for an owner, many laws are also left to the state an owner resides in. There is no direct federal law commanding gun registration. If there were, this country would plunge into civil war.

As far as an "assault rifle," this again is a media fallacy. Tank, I believe, had an AR-15. He did not posess a military weapon. It certainly is not an automatic "machine gun" (It has one bullet per trigger pull). In fact, the AR-15 is an excellent target weapon. For many it is the rifle of choice for long range shooting competitions. It also happens to be a varmint gun. You are completely incorrect that it has no use as a hunting gun. Did you know that the AR-15 is only a .22 caliber? It is not even legal to hunt deer with it in all 50 states, however there are plenty more animals that are legal to hunt than deer.

I guess I do not understand why it is a big deal if someone has an "assault weapon" if it is owned legally. Assault weapons are certainly not illegal and there are many sportsman uses.

You are pretty close to being correct. For some reason the media has forced the public into believing that all firearms need to be registered. This is way off base. While there are certain licenses and permissions granted for an owner, many laws are also left to the state an owner resides in. There is no direct federal law commanding gun registration. If there were, this country would plunge into civil war.

As far as an "assault rifle," this again is a media fallacy. Tank, I believe, had an AR-15. He did not posess a military weapon. It certainly is not an automatic "machine gun" (It has one bullet per trigger pull). In fact, the AR-15 is an excellent target weapon. For many it is the rifle of choice for long range shooting competitions. It also happens to be a varmint gun. You are completely incorrect that it has no use as a hunting gun. Did you know that the AR-15 is only a .22 caliber? It is not even legal to hunt deer with it in all 50 states, however there are plenty more animals that are legal to hunt than deer.

I guess I do not understand why it is a big deal if someone has an "assault weapon" if it is owned legally. Assault weapons are certainly not illegal and there are many sportsman uses.

Good post. Of note, the Commonwealth of Virginia does not require guns to be registered or licensed.

Good post. Of note, the Commonwealth of Virginia does not require guns to be registered or licensed.

I just moved to NH from VA last year. Neither have any such laws. In fact an owner can drive with a loaded gun on the dash without any penalty.

I stand corrected,I'm no expert on your gun laws ,dont pretend to be,as for the assault rifle,I didnt know what type it was.Sounds like the cops had a warrant to search his place,or maybe thats only in this country....so he must be up to something....my point was that it wasnt a big deal for the other players to have weapons ,the media seemed to be putting those players who own firearms with Tank Johnson ,who is having run-ins with the law...doesnt seem fair.I'm not taking pot shots(pun intended!) at your gun laws....

Damn!

You thought Borges was anti-Patriots! The Globe is only stoking the liberal anti-gun people in Mass. who are opposed to all firearm/bb-gun/toy-gun ownership in the communist republic of Mass. Unfrigginbelievable.

I am as liberal as the next guy, but have had it with the nanny state ba$tards in my home state and elsewhere. Who gives a rats *****. Are they trying to equate the Pats players with the NBA thugs or Ray Lewis types? WTF

Don't forget these are the same people who thought it was a bad idea to name the new harbour tunnel after Ted Williams. After all he was only just a baseball player. Nevermind that he served his country in Korea!! For two friggin tours!!

Sorry for the rant. Been pretty much stuck in the house here for the last few days.

I stand corrected,I'm no expert on your gun laws ,dont pretend to be,as for the assault rifle,I didnt know what type it was.Sounds like the cops had a warrant to search his place,or maybe thats only in this country....so he must be up to something....my point was that it wasnt a big deal for the other players to have weapons ,the media seemed to be putting those players who own firearms with Tank Johnson ,who is having run-ins with the law...doesnt seem fair.I'm not taking pot shots(pun intended!) at your gun laws....

You post is well taken and appreciated. If Tank broke the law then he deserves to pay the price. The media wants the public to believe false information. The firearms did nothing wrong, even though they are considered evil. There are good law abiding people who use their weapons well within the law.

Damn!

You thought Borges was anti-Patriots! The Globe is only stoking the liberal anti-gun people in Mass. who are opposed to all firearm/bb-gun/toy-gun ownership in the communist republic of Mass. Unfrigginbelievable.

I am as liberal as the next guy, but have had it with the nanny state ba$tards in my home state and elsewhere. Who gives a rats *****. Are they trying to equate the Pats players with the NBA thugs or Ray Lewis types? WTF

Don't forget these are the same people who thought it was a bad idea to name the new harbour tunnel after Ted Williams. After all he was only just a baseball player. Nevermind that he served his country in Korea!! For two friggin tours!!

Sorry for the rant. Been pretty much stuck in the house here for the last few days.

It is just sad that there is no neutral ground. There is no such thing as reporting the facts anymore.

I just moved to NH from VA last year. Neither have any such laws. In fact an owner can drive with a loaded gun on the dash without any penalty.

Damn straight. One of the many reasons why NH rules.

Did you know that the AR-15 is only a .22 caliber? It is not even legal to hunt deer with it in all 50 states, however there are plenty more animals that are legal to hunt than deer.

I guess I do not understand why it is a big deal if someone has an "assault weapon" if it is owned legally. Assault weapons are certainly not illegal and there are many sportsman uses

First off…
Tanked up Teddy Kennedy and his car killed more people than my gun

Second…
The AR-15 is actually a .223 caliber or 5.56 mm, slightly larger than a .22 with a lot more power. It’s the same round as the M-16

Third…
When the assault weapon ban ended a couple years ago, law enforcement statistics proved gun related crime went down when compared to when there was an assault weapons ban. Out here in Nevada communities with a high percentage of the population owning a gun there is a low percentage of crime. I mean who’s gonna break into a house when the owner probably has a gun

Damn!

I am as liberal as the next guy, but have had it with the nanny state ba$tards in my home state and elsewhere. Who gives a rats *****. .

Yo dude, thats why I moved out of Ma.

There’s the problem, he’s a war veteran. No way a pacifist state like the Communist of Massachusetts is going to promote a War Hero. Drunkin’ Sexual Predator Senators are ok, but not upstanding American Patriots like Ted Williams.

By the way, does anyone know why he wasn’t buried in Arlington National Cemetery as the American War Hero that he was?

A recent ESPN "Inside the Lines" program talked about this, and estimated (if I recall correctly) 90% of NFL and NBA athletes own guns. They specifically mentioned Gaffney.

The rationale given for such wide gun ownershio was that because of their unusual wealth for their age, many others in the places they go see them as easy targets. Also, it's an ego thing, one ex-NFL player who is now a gun dealer pointed out the players gravitated towards flashy impressive-looking guns rather than utilitarian ones.

The AR-15 can be converted to .22 caliber but it is primarily a .223 caliber weapon. It also in .223 has a muzzle velocity in excess of 3000 feet per second. Personally I do not believe that Johnson is someone anyone want with a weapon like that.

We know Gaffney has one. He got caught with it in the wrong state and got in minor trouble.

Owning guns is pretty common outside of northern cities.

Minor point, I do not carry, but a lot of my friends carry guns in this hamlet outside of Providence... many of my friends are collectors and have a slew of them. Although big in the South, it is pretty big here also.

I can't let that ridiculous statement go by. Go ahead and hate MA. Nobody cares and you have 49 other states to choose from. All with their own laws based on their unique outlook on life. But lets not just make up utter BS because you didn't like it here. Complain about the traffic or the weather or the high property values or something. Sure we don't obsess over Ted Williams the way CO obsesses over John Elway; but that's because we have had other sports stars to look up to. Nobody complained about naming the tunnel after Ted. The complaints all centered around the fact that the tunnel was opened for 3 years before it became available to the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes