PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Chah-jer writer is thinking rematch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why acquire two risky players, especially after Roger Goodell threw the book at Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones and Chris Henry? There’s concern that either Moss or Meriweather could suffer a similar fate, or at the very least, be a cancer to the team.

One interpretation would be that the Patriots’ front office is willing to break their rules to make what they feel will be a final run at a Super Bowl title. New England’s roster is getting older and other teams in the AFC, like the Chargers, are getting better.

1. Is our roster that much older than Chargers or Colts?

2. What does he mean at the very least they will be a cancer? Does he mean at the very worst? Because the very least problem they will be is no problem at all.

3. One final run?

Last edited:
ChargerGuy said:
One interpretation would be that the Patriots’ front office is willing to break their rules to make what they feel will be a final run at a Super Bowl title. New England’s roster is getting older and other teams in the AFC, like the Chargers, are getting better.
Ha ha.

My interpretation is they were a 3rd and 4 from winning the Super Bowl AGAIN and realized that with some more talent they'll be the ones holding the trophy at the end and they like that idea.

Why people seem to think this is our final, all or nothing, season is beyond me as we have 5 day one picks in next year's draft already :rolleyes:

Ha ha.

My interpretation is they were a 3rd and 4 from winning the Super Bowl AGAIN and realized that with some more talent they'll be the ones holding the trophy at the end and they like that idea.

Why people seem to think this is our final, all or nothing, season is beyond me as we have 5 day one picks in next year's draft already :rolleyes:

I agree completely. In fact I keep wondering about this "Patriot's as an OLD team" thing. They are relatively young on the OL, DL, TE, DB's (except for Rodney), WRs (except for Brown) QB, & RB. In fact the ONLY place this team is showing some age is at LB. Oh never mind. Let the myths continue.

1. Is our roster that much older than Chargers or Colts?

2. What does he mean at the very least they will be a cancer? Does he mean at the very worst? Because the very least problem they will be is no problem at all.

3. One final run?

Enjoy this while you can view it. Not everyone sees it this openly, this desperately.

We're viewing the triumph of hope over experience, and it's pretty rare to see it in the real world spoken so frankly, so plaintively, so piously.

It makes you stop for a moment, unsure of exactly what's happening, much like a train wreck you simply can't pull your eyes from, but simultaneously can't believe you are seeing it.

The word I want, that I'm looking for, when reading articles like this, is ennui. That's the sensation I'm left with.

Gawd, this will be the longest off season in history....

I agree completely. In fact I keep wondering about this "Patriot's as an OLD team" thing. They are relatively young on the OL, DL, TE, DB's (except for Rodney), WRs (except for Brown) QB, & RB. In fact the ONLY place this team is showing some age is at LB. Oh never mind. Let the myths continue.

Shushh! don't tell them that the oldest starter on the entire Offense and including ALL the prime reserves is only thirty years old.

Shhusssh! don't tell them that the entire Defensive line and ALL reserves, and the entire starting secondary (save Harrison) and he is really a reserve now, is under thirty years old.

Only ther Linebacking has a old starter who is thirty four (Gasp!) and another old tiimer who is all of thirty two.( double Gasp!!) :eek:

never heard of the writer, unless it's the same guy who used to be a punter for the bills

weird that it's posted on a seahawks website

Shushh! don't tell them that the oldest starter on the entire Offense and including ALL the prime reserves is only thirty years old.

Shhusssh! don't tell them that the entire Defensive line and ALL reserves, and the entire starting secondary (save Harrison) and he is really a reserve now, is under thirty years old.

Only ther Linebacking has a old starter who is thirty four (Gasp!) and another old tiimer who is all of thirty two.( double Gasp!!) :eek:
Yes, but how many teams can say their quarterback, third-down running back and big name receiver are the same age as their offensive coordinator?

Most fans would tell you that makes the Patriots old. Indy fans especially.

Huh. I get the feeling that the chargers are going to lose to the Colts in the divisional round. then we'll get the game the entire world (outside of san diego) wants to see: Indy at NE for the AFC championship game.

As an aside, other than Rivers with another year under his belt, how have the Chargers improved? I see that the guy casually throws out that the Chargers have gotten better. Should I just write it off like his statement that NE is old?

Doesn't a complete overhaul of their coaching staff pretty much guarantee a regression?

I used to wonder the same thing, but I think I figured it out. In the salary cap era teams would not get rid of aging talent and/or didn't draft well. It became common for teams to compete for a year or two at a high level and then either get old or sent to salary cap purgatory. They don't understand how the Pats can compete for a SuperBowl year after year for nearly a decade, reporters that don't actually do any research (like look down the age column of the roster) come to the conclusion that the team must be old. But in reality the "cold" actions of the team that have been criticized for years is the reason this team is in a position to compete every year and not missing in the first round of the draft helps a lot as well.

I know I am just preaching to the quire.

Aside from Linebackers, how are the Patriots "old"??? Typical lousy article.

With an entirely new coaching staff, plus Denver making some big additions, I would not be surprised to see SD not even make the playoffs.

Not a prediction, but Jax/Indy and Cincy could be the WC teams and Denver the West champion.

Doesn't a complete overhaul of their coaching staff pretty much guarantee a regression?
I would have thought it probable before learning this is Norv Turner's offense that he installed in 2001 when he was OC. Norv is excellent with QBs, which will improve Rivers' already good game a great deal. Norv will do a fine job for himself as OC, and it's hard to picture the defense backsliding a great deal even with a new DC. The OL and DL are intact, the Receiving corps is much the same as is the backfield. The areas to watch for weakness are LB, Special Teams, and the secondary.

Denver will give them a run for their money, I just wish Herm wasn't pulling the plug on the Chiefs. Oakland may be more dangerous then people expect - as much as I detest Warren Sapp, dropping his weight down to 285 will improve "his" game (rushing the passer) - that Oakland D is going to be tough. On paper it's the Chargers' division to lose, Norv may find a way, but I wouldn't put too much hope into a revamped coaching staff holding the team back.

IMHO, as of May, this is the team to beat in the AFC, not the Pats or the defending national champions. That said, I'm not too worried, projecting to next January as this writer has done, playing the Chargers early this season gives BB two games within the past year to study, not an ideal situation for the Chargers should another playoff meeting occur.

Last edited:
Huh. I get the feeling that the chargers are going to lose to the Colts in the divisional round. then we'll get the game the entire world (outside of san diego) wants to see: Indy at NE for the AFC championship game.

As an aside, other than Rivers with another year under his belt, how have the Chargers improved? I see that the guy casually throws out that the Chargers have gotten better. Should I just write it off like his statement that NE is old?

The Chargers can expect their young WRs to improve with more experience. OTOH they are replacing their ILBs and will have some problems there.

The Coaching change is disruptive too, but Norv installed their current Offense and they hired a DC who coaches the Wade Phillips 3-4 so there is not a new system for either the Offense or Defense to assimilate.

But they are about the same, versus the de-construction of the Colts.

Losing both starting corners, a starting Safety a starting LB, a starting Defensiv eLinemen and playing a newcomer at LB and at Safety, the last half of the season, losing Corey Simon and Monty Reagor off the DL means the modicum of lousy Defense they had, now approaches all the quality of an expansion club.

Maybe you can win with ALL offense. The Colts did once in 5 years, but the odds are against it. On Offense the Colts remain strong but their O-line LT is getting old, and Marvin Harrison is about Troy Brown's age. How much longer can he go on as effectively? Gonzalez is an apt replacement for Stokely and an eventual Harrison replacement, but the Colts have very little depth after they promote their second stringers to starting status. They need to hope that the youngsters are ready to move up, and the low round draftees can provide some depth. It's too much to hope, I think given the number of guys who must come through.

Like any most articles that attempt to pass as NEWS, this one has several problems with it.

1) Meriweather didn't FALL to the END of the 1st round. Meriweather was never touted as a top 10 pick. Most places had him in the 16-28 range. So getting him at 24 was dead on.

2) This person only talks about the negatives of Meriweather and none of the positives.

3) The Patriots have RELOADED. Not for one final run, but for making several runs over the next few years.

Its amazing how no one mentions Steve Foley anymore. Also how no one mentions the classlessness of Merriman or Phillips prior to the AFC Divisional game.

I honestly don't see the Chargers making the play-offs if they are relying on Craig Davis to start and be a major contributor. I like Weddle and think he'll be good for them.

I really want Norv to fall flat on his face. And if the Chargers fall with him, so be it.

Last edited:
. That said, I'm not too worried, projecting to next January as this writer has done, playing the Chargers early this season gives BB two games within the past year to study, not an ideal situation for the Chargers should another playoff meeting occur.

Terrific point - give BB tape and time and he will find a way to beat you.

NE on the other hand will be very hard to defense as I think we will see the same type of disguise on O as we do on D.

1) Meriweather didn't FALL to the END of the 1st round. Meriweather was never touted as a top 10 pick. Most places had him in the 16-28 range. So getting him at 24 was dead on.

Meriweather probably would have been the second safety picked and at least a top 20 pick if he didn't have the character issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back