PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video showing the new Kickoff rule changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The NFL made a change so that means we all need to get up to speed on why we hate it.

in a few years, this completely sub-moronic, misanthropic waste of DNA, Turdell will have reduced kickoffs to THIS----->

0381a2482713e16f462ca38a274eafcd.gif

Curious to see how we'll scheme ways for Patterson to get great runback lanes.

As for the new helmet rules, I really only saw one hit in that entire video that looked like it should be a penalty -- the hit from the Falcons player #25. Otherwise, the rest of them looked like people just diving for a tackle. It's going to be a strange season.

The odds of a successful onside kick are headed for ∞/1

Want to feel even worse? Check out what hits are considered illegal now.

Wow, that is some weird, North Korea-like theme music. The NFL has officially been declared a propaganda-controlled dictatorship by the United Nations.

The helmet rule is going to be the most laughed-at spectacle in sports. Even in the video, where you’d think the most obvious examples would be used, I found myself unable to determine if the rule should apply on almost every penalty-based offense, particularly on the Amendola hit. That was a penalty?? Seems like that play happens 20-30 times each game. Get ready for the SB53, a thrilling 103-82 victory.

The objection ones were obvious, and that’s what the rule should do, stop egregious hits on defenseless players and even include bans. Gronkowski was banned last season for his host after the whistle, but Trevathan’s missle-like attack was way more dangerous.

I like the helmet rule it is long overdue. Surprised no exampkes of offensive players doing it?

I like the helmet rule it is long overdue. Surprised no exampkes of offensive players doing it?

If you were annoyed by the endless confusion and constant replays over what is/isn't a catch, just wait til they apply this to tackles.

Can't wait!

So basically defenders might be more prone to taking out an ACL as “another option”. Wonderful.

They should have just made it a punt with the 45 being the line of scrimmage. Instead of a kickoff just make it a 4th and 15 from the 45. Go for it (replacing the onside kick), or kick it away.

Apparently I’m in the minority but I don’t mind the tackling rule as long as they use the crown of the helmet, not the facemask. All of the tackles in the video were dangerous, both for the offensive player and the tackler....head down, crown of the helmet to the TE/WRs helmet as the first point of contact. This is the type of tackle that knocked Ridley out of the playoff game, I believe.

Use better technique, keep your head up during the tackle. It may be easier said than done for the defenders, however, given the speed with which the game is played. No doubt we will be yelling about this rule at some point this season, when an apparent 3rd or 4th down stop turns into a 15 yd penalty.

So this rule is going to benefit the receiving team. BB once again was ahead of the curve by getting Cordarrelle Patterson aka the best returner in the game!

If you were annoyed by the endless confusion and constant replays over what is/isn't a catch, just wait til they apply this to tackles.

Can't wait!

It isn't that complicated. It's not like your brain suddenly becomes invincible when you aren't a defenseless receiver anymore.

Plus, it is actually a simplification: now they don't have to decide if the person speared a defenseless receiver: they just aren't allowed to spear anybody in the head. No more judgment calls about whether the person was a runner or still defenseless. Just throw the damned flag.

It has removed an element of subjective judgment from the penalty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots