PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not Set On The Interior OL - We Are Using Ferentz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Interior OL (and TE) are obviously not our top priority, but we do need at least one interior OL. We have Ferentz and Eluemunor. Perhaps this will be good enough to get though the next few games.

We need a backup center for Game Day. We tried with Bodine. It is not clear if Eleuemunor can play center. For now, I suspect that the best course is to have Ferentz active and move Karras to guard if a guard is out for more than a series.

OPTION ONE - FERENTZ or a NEW CENTER WHO CAN BACKUP AT OG
If Karras is injured, Ferentz goes in at center.
If a guard is injured, we have the choice of putting Karras at guard or the backup center

OPTION TWO - ELUEMUNOR or a NEW GUARD WHO CAN BACKUP AT CENTER
This player goes in for whoever is injured.

OPTION THREE - HAVE TWO INTERIOR OL's ACTIVE
This would have us have 5 active interior OL's. This would be my choice if we have a really good backup OG who can't play center.

I thought Karras was much better vs. Miami in terms of his shotgun snaps. I noticed a floater or two, but not like vs. the Steelers, when every snap was a floater. I think we can keep Turnstile Ferentz on the bench.

Film junkies: was the lack of running lanes on Karras, or on the OTs?

Not sure why you don't also mention the obvious candidate for any spot: Thuney.

If Karras gets dinged up, you can move Thuney to C (and Eluemunor to LG). With Eluemunor we don't know precisely if he can do more than G at a competent level. If he can take snaps at Center then ever better and Thuney can stay in his position.

Obviously this assumes that at least Cannon is back and Thuney doesn't have to be the emergency Tackle as well.

Perhaps because I believe that Thuney is much, much, much more valuable as a guard.

I am fine with Thuney being an emergency LT as Mankins once was. I'd rather have Ferentz as our backup center.

Not sure why you don't also mention the obvious candidate for any spot: Thuney.

If Karras gets dinged up, you can move Thuney to C (and Eluemunor to LG). With Eluemunor we don't know precisely if he can do more than G at a competent level. If he can take snaps at Center then ever better and Thuney can stay in his position.

Obviously this assumes that at least Cannon is back and Thuney doesn't have to be the emergency Tackle as well.

Perhaps because I believe that Thuney is much, much, much more valuable as a guard.

I am fine with Thuney being an emergency LT as Mankins once was. I'd rather have Ferentz as our backup center.

It all depends how Eluemunor looks. He was on track to be a starting guard for the Ravens. Something is there to work with.

Perhaps because I'd rather have Ferentz as our backup assistant manager at the Iowa City McDonald’s.
Fixed it for you.

At this point, concerning our OL depth, we HAVE to play with fire because of the 46 man game day restriction and the desire to not put Wynn/Cannon on IR.

Bill can't make up his mind concerning his OTs, but seems to have settled immediately on Thanksdad as the backup Center...damn shame.

I thought Matt Kalil would be a good roll of the dice, but he must have a bad injury. #4 overall pick, former Pro Bowler, 30 years old. I was thinking maybe he looked bad and got released the past couple of years due to the knee injury, and he could be stashed on the roster and given time to recover until the end of the season/playoffs.

It's worse than that. It seems that BB has settled on Ferentz being the active Game Day backup at center AND at RG AND at LG.

Bill can't make up his mind concerning his OTs, but seems to have settled immediately on Thanksdad as the backup Center...damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back