PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Mayock releases Top 100 Prospects...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that he's higher on Allen than he is on Rosen and Mayfield. A lot of analysts get so wooed by a cannon arm.

I would have both Mayfield and Rosen ahead of Allen based on pure football talent. But Allen is a safer bet when it comes to personality.

Personally I think Mayfield will have the best career of the 3, Allen will have a Matthew Staffordesque career and Rosen will be out of the league in a few years, due to his ego.

I would have both Mayfield and Rosen ahead of Allen based on pure football talent. But Allen is a safer bet when it comes to personality.

Personally I think Mayfield will have the best career of the 3, Allen will have a Matthew Staffordesque career and Rosen will be out of the league in a few years, due to his ego.

I think Darnold is the Stafford of this class. Allen will be a complete and utter bust, while Rosen hovers around average for a decade. Mayfield should be the best.

If Rosen goes to a good place he will be successful. Problem with these QBs's that they go to a crappy franchise and some have to play right away.

Lamar Jackson listed 23 and Kolton Miller 31.

This isn't a mock draft but still interesting to see who landed on us.

Personally I want D but I could get behind this.

Personally i wouldn't draft an OL with the first two picks. Not in love with this OL class. I would like to go defense if they don't trade up for a QB.

Doesn’t matter. First QB is at 7. Gauranteed the first QB is gone at 1 and atleast two more by 7 at a minimum

I feel like a lot of these guys construct a board the way they feel guys will be drafted not what they see with the actual player.

I guess giving a player a lower grade than is commonly accepted and then having him drafted higher makes them look bad.

Personally I feel it's a bad way to go about it. If you do that you are trying to rate guys by the how high they would be on the teams board who likes them the most. Not what you actually believe they are.

I think Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper are both overhyped.
I like Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, Joel Klatt and Todd McShay. I mightn't always agree with them but it's obvious that they do their homework, watch tape and form their own opinions.

Bucky Brooks also does his homework, but he's just always horribly wrong about everything.

Mel Kiper Jr is a fraud. A snake oil salesman, who passes off other people's opinions as his own, but doesn't even have the work ethic to read past people's top 100 lists. Once it gets to the late 4th round Kiper has absolutely nothing to contribute, while Mayock is still waxing poetic about 7th round draftees. Bill Tobin called it many years ago, but somehow Kiper still maintains some sort of mythical draft authority persona...

Pats draft a LB (Evans or Vander Esch) with #23, and then trade down from #31 into the second round and draft Mason Rudolph at QB, picking up an extra pick or two in the process.

Kiper busts his ass and does his analysis. People just insist on trying to judge him on something he's not actually doing. When it comes to analyzing college players and projecting them to the NFL, everyone is wrong more than they are right.

I like Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, Joel Klatt and Todd McShay. I mightn't always agree with them but it's obvious that they do their homework, watch tape and form their own opinions.

Bucky Brooks also does his homework, but he's just always horribly wrong about everything.

Mel Kiper Jr is a fraud. A snake oil salesman, who passes off other people's opinions as his own, but doesn't even have the work ethic to read past people's top 100 lists. Once it gets to the late 4th round Kiper has absolutely nothing to contribute, while Mayock is still waxing poetic about 7th round draftees. Bill Tobin called it many years ago, but somehow Kiper still maintains some sort of mythical draft authority persona...

I think that Mayock is heads and shoulders above the rest. At one point he was being considered for a GM job (of course, it was Washington, but still...), and that certainly would never take place with someone like Kiper.

After reading his top 100 list for many years, one thing I can say for sure is that his list (at least in the past) has way closer to the way the Patriots evaluate players. I can think of many times when the Patriots drafted players way before they were ranked on other top 100 lists (ESPN, etc.) except for Mayock. Vollmer is one that especially comes to mind, I don't think anyone except Mayock even had him on the radar if memory serves me. I also remembering Chandler Jones and Hightower being ranking highly by Mayock also. I don't think Mayock is any better than anyone else at actually figuring out who will be a star, but it seems like the Patriots normally draft their players close to where Mayock slots them.

Kiper busts his ass and does his analysis. People just insist on trying to judge him on something he's not actually doing. When it comes to analyzing college players and projecting them to the NFL, everyone is wrong more than they are right.
I do wonder about their overall track records

Mayock actual evaluations are a bit fishy. He ranks everyone initially and then he simply changes his rankings based on what people around the league tell him rather than on his own opinion. You see it when his top 5 lists dramatically change from March to April. I wouldn't necessarily trust his opinion on players

I do wonder about their overall track records

I look at them as data points to be aggregated, and references to be used as a double check. If I like a player ("Bob"), and everyone else seems to have a lesser opinion of him, I'll check out their info and revisit my take. If I don't like a player who's being raved about, I'll look again to see what the fuss was all about.

But I think that using them for much more than that is a waste of time. As we see with the high number of misses by team personnel departments, information is only as good as how it's applied, and it still remains subject to the realities of human beings.

For the purposes of grading these guys actually hitting on specific picks to teams, there's this from several years back:

Grading the Gurus: Mel Kiper | Inside The Huddle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back