Conditioning run test...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyped

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Tomorrow all players will need to pass a conditioning run test in order to practice on Thursday.

If I remember correctly, it is:

3 sets of 10 40 yard sprints
Each sprint needs to be completed in 7 seconds or less
30 seconds of rest per sprint
3 minute rest between sets

The distances and reps may differ by position groupings...not sure.

How many will fail? Will any veteran all of sudden retire? We already lost Vedlheer (sp?)......

This should be interesting for Shelton

This should be interesting for Shelton

I mean, he must have passed it last year. But I'm always amazed at how fast these big guys can move, considering how slow I (a much smaller guy) move.

Tomorrow all players will need to pass a conditioning run test in order to practice on Thursday.

How many will fail? Will any veteran all of sudden retire? We already lost Vedlheer (sp?)......
Yep. Here is what Eric Rowe said last year.

The Patriots test is a series of sprints with short breaks between to test recovery time and endurance, not just speed. Skill position players like receivers and defensive backs run the farthest, followed by tight ends and running backs and then the linemen.

“We’ll [skill position players] run 60 [yards] in eight seconds. Tight ends, running backs, they’ll run 50s in seven seconds and then linemen run 40s in like seven seconds,” cornerback Eric Rowe said. “It’s getting the same amount of work, and everybody’s still got to push, they’ve just got less yards. If you’ve been running it should be no problem.”

Think you could pass any of the Patriots’ conditioning tests? - The Boston Globe

Piece of cake, 30 seconds of rest is a lot.

I like how it simulates potential game conditions. Each set is like a 10-play drive and the 30 seconds in between corresponds to the play clock. The 3 minutes between sets is when the opposite unit is on the field. Obviously it's not a catch-all for every situation, but a decent overall representation.

Regards,
Chris

I wonder why RBs aren't grouped with the skill positions.

That actually looks very easy. Anyone that calls themselves a professional athlete should be able to pass this test with ease if they’re healthy.

Anyone willing to post a video running the sprints? Haha

Anyone willing to post a video running the sprints? Haha

I was thinking about doing this. Maybe on the weekend? I've got a lot going on this week, but I'm pretty sure that I can pass this test. If not, I'll have to get some of Brady's electrolyte water. ;)

Only some 40 yard sprints??? 7 seconds the minimum?!

I could do these easy *eats french fry*

That actually looks very easy. Anyone that calls themselves a professional athlete should be able to pass this test with ease if they’re healthy.
I said essentially the same thing in my post and got two "funny" ratings. In fact, any respectable high school or college athlete should have no problem with it. The key is the generous rest periods between reps and sets.

Am pretty sure I can do the 7 sec/40yd part.....the 7/50...maybe....the 8/60...I don't think so.

I should try myself later...
Yea I'm in the same boat. I run in the summer and play hoop fall, winter and spring so I know I wouldn't die during the 7/40. I just don't know about the others.

Sorry I’m old.
My guidelines are the all important

Never pass a bathroom
Never trust a fart
Never waste an erection

To the rest of you. Have at it. I cannot even see 40 yards anymore

Reactions: PP2
Are you telling me Joseph Addai couldn't complete that? There's gotta be more to it than just that?

Are you telling me Joseph Addai couldn't complete that? There's gotta be more to it than just that?

I mean if you "live it up" during the offseason then you will start feeling it towards the end of the second set and definitely during the last one. Otherwise this will be a breeze for most players.

Lets keep in mind this is the most basic level of fitness which essentially just shows competence not to slow down drills during camp. Time and reps are the most valuable resources when it comes to practice during camp and the regular season.

During the Superbowl LI, the Pats literally outlasted the Falcons because of conditioning.. they ran just about 100 plays during that game, by the end many Falcons were standing around with hands on hips.. superior conditioning has always been a hallmark of this team, another reason why they run up and down the hill on the back part of the practice facility daily..

It all starts with this conditioning run.. does not seem all that difficult for a well conditioned athlete as they know what is expected of them.

Piece of cake, 30 seconds of rest is a lot.

I run 25 miles a week, am pretty fast, and do a lot of cross training. I'll be competing in the spartan beast at kilington in september. A lot of my HIT sets allow for 30 seconds of rest. 30 seconds of rest is not a lot of time. I am not sure I could complete the conditioning test, in fact it probably would hurt a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes