PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/16 PM notes: SMY, Rapoport, Scalavino x2, Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mankins, Ohrnberger carted off Pats' practice field on hot day at Gillette - Projo Pats Blog

Mankins, Ohrnberger carted off Pats' practice field on hot day at Gillette
8:47 PM Sun, Aug 16, 2009
By Mike McDermott

Sunday's lone afternoon practice session was likely the most difficult on the players physically - temperatures topped 90 degrees, and it was extremely humid with little to no breeze. As a result, two offensive linemen were carted off the field, likely for heat-related issues.

The first was ironman Logan Mankins, who dropped to his knees as the entire offense had to run a penalty lap about two-thirds of the way through the session. Mankins lay on his back for several minutes, a water bottle in his hand and surrounded by members of the training staff, before the cart was brought over to his side.

Near the end of practice, rookie Rich Ohrnberger was carted off as well.

Monday's forecast calls for another hot and humid day.

--Shalise Manza Young

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive The heat is an obstacle for the Patriots as they return to practice…

August 16th, 2009
The heat is an obstacle for the Patriots as they return to practice…
Posted by Ian Rapoport at 6:17 pm

After two days off, the Patriots were back at work… And it was a tough, hot, intense practice, with the heat apparently getting the better of some guys…

Here is what happened:

– OLs Logan Mankins and Rich Ohrnberger left the field on a cart, apparently because of heat issues. Scary stuff. We’ll try to provide an update when we can…
– LB Tedy Bruschi returned to practice for the first time since it all began. He talked to us afterward, so we’ll let you know what he said.
– CB Jonathan Wilhite was working in a non-contact jersey, but he did most things.
– Bill Belichick spent a ton of time after practice throwing with his son Brian, giving him passing instructions.
OK, we’ll have more later…

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog

Quick Kicks: Sunday PM camp notebook
Written by Erik Scalavino on August 16, 2009 – 7:03 pm -

The 23rd practice of Patriots training camp was a tough one for the team. Playing in muggy, high-80-degree weather, the players took part in one of their more rigorous outings this summer … and the weather took its toll.
By the end of the session, during team offense versus team defense, many players began to look listless. In fact, two offensive linemen (Logan Mankins and rookie Rich Ohrnberger) had to be carted off the field and back to the locker room on separate occasions to receive treatment.

Attendance
LB Tedy Bruschi, absent since the first day of camp, was back in full pads with the rest of his Patriots teammates on Sunday. LS Nathan Hodel, who didn’t play against the Eagles, was also back in uniform Sunday.
CB Jonathan Wilhite was at practice as well, although he reverted to wearing the red, no-contact jersey that he’s sported in a recent practice.
The list of missing players was a long one: P Chris Hanson, WR Shun White, CB Shawn Springs, RB Sammy Morris, CB Mike Richardson, LB Paris Lenon, WR Wes Welker (who didn’t play in Thursday’s game against Philadelphia), TE Benjamin Watson, TE Tyson DeVree, and DL Mike Wright. The remaining players on NFI /PUP remained on those lists – Brandon Tate (NFI) and Mark LeVoir.

Noteworthy plays/observations
* In the always entertaining linebackers-vs-running backs/tight ends pass rushing drill, the defense had the decided advantage on this day. Adalius Thomas simply overpowered Alex Smith to get to the quarterback. Pierre Woods did the same against David Thomas. Chris Baker, however, used great leverage to drive Derrick Burgess away from the pocket.

Day 18, lone Patriots practice - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Day 18, lone Patriots practice
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
August 16, 2009 07:40 PM

FOXBOROUGH – The Patriots concluded their afternoon practice (3:45-5:30) in hot, humid conditions. This was the team’s 23rd practice since camp opened July 30, and the team was in full pads.
Here were a few observations from the session:

1) Jonathan Wilhite in red. Cornerback Jonathan Wilhite played into the early second quarter Thursday night, before being replaced by Darius Butler. Wilhite was shaken up after making a tackle on Eagles tight end Brett Celek on third-and-23, which was his last play. The injury isn’t serious, as Wilhite was back at practice today, wearing a red, non-contact jersey. Wilhite had previously been sidelined by a shoulder injury. Elsewhere on the injury front, Wes Welker, Benjamin Watson, Mike Wright, Paris Lenon and Sammy Morris were among those players not at practice.

Training camp notebook: Sunday PM practice

8/16/09

By Erik Scalavino

Tedy Bruschi's return to the field highlights the lone session on Sunday.

Who's Hot: Joey Galloway
After a less-than-stellar debut against the Eagles last Thursday, Galloway stepped up his game in practice Sunday afternoon, making several impressive catches throughout the session.

Who's Not: Logan Mankins and Rich Ohrnberger
Weather did these big guys in big-time. At different times during the latter portion of practice, both players had to receive emergency attention from the team’s medical staff for what appeared to be heat exhaustion. The two offensive linemen were carted off the field and back inside for further treatment.

Play of the Day: Meriweather INT
Safety Brandon Meriweather continues his hot streak. He picked off yet another Tom Brady pass during 11-on-11 action. After a play-action fake, Brady dropped back into the pocket and surveyed the field. He finally decided on a relatively short pass to Julian Edleman, who thought he’d found a soft spot in the zone on the right hash. But Meriweather read Brady’s eyes all the way and stepped in from the right side to make the interception.

Last edited:
if we ever let meriweather go, im afraid hell own brady

Welker misses yet another practice. Should I panic yet?

By Erik Scalavino

Tedy Bruschi's return to the field highlights the lone session on Sunday.

Who's Hot: Joey Galloway
After a less-than-stellar debut against the Eagles last Thursday, Galloway stepped up his game in practice Sunday afternoon, making several impressive catches throughout the session.

Who's Not: Logan Mankins and Rich Ohrnberger
Weather did these big guys in big-time. At different times during the latter portion of practice, both players had to receive emergency attention from the team’s medical staff for what appeared to be heat exhaustion. The two offensive linemen were carted off the field and back inside for further treatment.

I am really not a big fan of Scalvino's who's hot who is not...I have noted this a few times but this one was particularly bad.

Who's not - a couple of players who practices hard in the heat and got heat exhaustion....Sounds like the opposite of not they were really hot too hot :D

all kiding aside how can blame and call out two guys for this in 90+ degree heat. Maybe if it was a common occurance or if it was closer to the begining of camp and you could call it a conditioning thing but there have been days as hot in the past and they made it thru.

My take on the Welker situation (and I hope that I am right) is the same ala Deion Branch a couple of years ago. Sit through pre-season and be ready for the long haul of the season.

My take on the Welker situation (and I hope that I am right) is the same ala Deion Branch a couple of years ago. Sit through pre-season and be ready for the long haul of the season.

I think Welker has a strain or or slight pull and the staff is being extremely cautious with it. I won't be worried until I see who starts the third preseason game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes