PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7 round Mock Draft including UDFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw308810

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The entire mock can be viewed at http://www.nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?t=10106
visit it, it's a great site.

A lot of things didn't work out how we expected them to but I still like the draft. We also did a UDFA auction and came away with 27 players including 3 top K to battle it out and 6 WR who could compete for roster spots.

21. Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State
This pick was tough because all 4 RBs were there but Drew wisely suggested that we wait and get our LB now. It paid off.
52. Joseph Addai RB LSU
None of the top CB were available so we gladly went with Addai.
75. Derrick Martin CB Wyoming
The top cover-cb left. The market was getting thin and we felt this was a steal for a player with so much upside.
86. Jason Avant WR Michigan
We need some WR behind Branch and Caldwell and Avant is a polished WR who could step up and be our number 3 right away.
105. Pat Ross C/OG Boston College
Hometown guy who is a heck of a blocker. Would add great depth to our OL and compete for a starting job.
117. Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee
I'll take the blame on this one if nobody likes it. Mahelona hasn't been a great runstopper so far in his career, but he has the size to play NT and I felt his potential was worthy of a shot.
131. Derrick Morris OT NC State
A big OT who reminds me of a more athletic Brandon Gorin. Has the talent to compete for a starting job and at the very least would add good depth.
182. Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan
This was just a steal. WR is one of our main needs and we got one in the 6th that we were contemplating taking in the 3rd or 4th.
213. Garrett McIntyre DE/OLB Fresno State
Don't know much about him, but Drew felt this was a steal. Might have the ability to play ILB as well.

UDFA
CB
Brett Bell Wisconsin, Cletis Gordon Jackson State, Dion Bynum Ohio
DE
Kader Drame Syracuse, Manase Hopoi Washington
NT
McKinley Boykin Mississippi
RB/FB
James Coleman Florida State, Derek Ross Tarleton State
S
Charlie Peprah Alabama, Harrison Smith Cal, DeDe Dorsey Lindenwood
K
Connor Hughes Virginia, Deric Yaussi Wyoming,Stephen Gostkowski Memphis
MLB
Valentine Chude, Western New Mexico
OC
David Castillo Florida State
DE/OLB
Charles Bennett Clemson
OT
Willie Hall Middle Tennessee State
QB
Brett Basanez Northwestern, Travis Lulay Montana State
TE
Quinn Sypneiwski, Colorado
WR
Ben Obamanu Auburn, Chris Denney Nebraska-Omaha,
Matt Trannon Michigan State, Nichiren Flowers Nevada,
Richie Ross Kearney State, Cory Rodgers TCU

nickw308810 said:
The entire mock can be viewed at http://www.nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?t=10106
visit it, it's a great site.

A lot of things didn't work out how we expected them to but I still like the draft. We also did a UDFA auction and came away with 27 players including 3 top K to battle it out and 6 WR who could compete for roster spots.

21. Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State
This pick was tough because all 4 RBs were there but Drew wisely suggested that we wait and get our LB now. It paid off.
52. Joseph Addai RB LSU
None of the top CB were available so we gladly went with Addai.
75. Derrick Martin CB Wyoming
The top cover-cb left. The market was getting thin and we felt this was a steal for a player with so much upside.
86. Jason Avant WR Michigan
We need some WR behind Branch and Caldwell and Avant is a polished WR who could step up and be our number 3 right away.
105. Pat Ross C/OG Boston College
Hometown guy who is a heck of a blocker. Would add great depth to our OL and compete for a starting job.
117. Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee
I'll take the blame on this one if nobody likes it. Mahelona hasn't been a great runstopper so far in his career, but he has the size to play NT and I felt his potential was worthy of a shot.
131. Derrick Morris OT NC State
A big OT who reminds me of a more athletic Brandon Gorin. Has the talent to compete for a starting job and at the very least would add good depth.
182. Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan
This was just a steal. WR is one of our main needs and we got one in the 6th that we were contemplating taking in the 3rd or 4th.
213. Garrett McIntyre DE/OLB Fresno State
Don't know much about him, but Drew felt this was a steal. Might have the ability to play ILB as well.

UDFA
CB
Brett Bell Wisconsin, Cletis Gordon Jackson State, Dion Bynum Ohio
DE
Kader Drame Syracuse, Manase Hopoi Washington
NT
McKinley Boykin Mississippi
RB/FB
James Coleman Florida State, Derek Ross Tarleton State
S
Charlie Peprah Alabama, Harrison Smith Cal, DeDe Dorsey Lindenwood
K
Connor Hughes Virginia, Deric Yaussi Wyoming,Stephen Gostkowski Memphis
MLB
Valentine Chude, Western New Mexico
OC
David Castillo Florida State
DE/OLB
Charles Bennett Clemson
OT
Willie Hall Middle Tennessee State
QB
Brett Basanez Northwestern, Travis Lulay Montana State
TE
Quinn Sypneiwski, Colorado
WR
Ben Obamanu Auburn, Chris Denney Nebraska-Omaha,
Matt Trannon Michigan State, Nichiren Flowers Nevada,
Richie Ross Kearney State, Cory Rodgers TCU
Before going to the link and grumbling about the draft choices you could have taken, I thought I'd note the UDFA's you listed that are nice pick-ups.

Edit: Your link wants me to register, I have enough sites I'm registered with so I'll just say that Jennings in the 6th is a steal and Avant in the 3rd is decent as is Carpenter in the 1st.

Last edited:
Nick -
What did you use to make your decisions?

I don't care for the Carpenter pick. I think that he is somewhat over-rated because of the other LBs that he had on his team. I would have rather reached for Marshall at that point than taken Carpenter. My reason is that I believe you could have gotten better value out of Mark Anderson in the 3rd round. And Marshall doesn't bring another midget CB to the team.

I like the picks of Addai, Avant, and Jennings. Also like the additions of Gostkowski, Peprah, Obamanu and Rodgers.

I think you reached on Pat Ross, though I understand why you did because of the run on O-line.

Why did you take Mahelona? I don't understand how you think a 6' 311lb NT is big enough to handle the NT position. He's a whopping inch taller than Klecko, though he has about 20 lbs on Klecko. Also, I don't believe he's actually played NT. If you were going to take someone, why not take Babatunde? Or is that what you meant when you said you messed up?

I don't understand the pick of Morris other than he was the highest rated OT left at the time you drafted him. The guy has weight issues and the Patriots don't like people with weight issues as the showed with their half-hearted effort to keep Woody. I think that Tim McGarigle, ILB or Freddie Keiaho (to be moved to SS) would have been a better value pick at this point.

Then, you could have taken Michael Toudouze from TCU for OT in the 7th round.

Just my opinion.

DaBruinz said:
Nick -
What did you use to make your decisions?

I don't care for the Carpenter pick. I think that he is somewhat over-rated because of the other LBs that he had on his team. I would have rather reached for Marshall at that point than taken Carpenter. My reason is that I believe you could have gotten better value out of Mark Anderson in the 3rd round. And Marshall doesn't bring another midget CB to the team.

I like the picks of Addai, Avant, and Jennings. Also like the additions of Gostkowski, Peprah, Obamanu and Rodgers.

I think you reached on Pat Ross, though I understand why you did because of the run on O-line.

Why did you take Mahelona? I don't understand how you think a 6' 311lb NT is big enough to handle the NT position. He's a whopping inch taller than Klecko, though he has about 20 lbs on Klecko. Also, I don't believe he's actually played NT. If you were going to take someone, why not take Babatunde? Or is that what you meant when you said you messed up?

I don't understand the pick of Morris other than he was the highest rated OT left at the time you drafted him. The guy has weight issues and the Patriots don't like people with weight issues as the showed with their half-hearted effort to keep Woody. I think that Tim McGarigle, ILB or Freddie Keiaho (to be moved to SS) would have been a better value pick at this point.

Then, you could have taken Michael Toudouze from TCU for OT in the 7th round.

Just my opinion.

Well, it is pretty tough when other people are making the picks, you don't know exactly where people are going to fall. I thought Marshall would make it to round 2. Than we thought Kelly Jennings would last until the first 3rd rounder and that didn't happen either. So we got Martin, and than signed a few UDFA.

As far as the Mahelona pick. I had him listed at 6' 311 like you said, but B.O. was listed at 6'1 304 and ran a 5.22 40 compared to Mahelona's 5.05. Should I have probably picked B.O.? Yes, but considering the size difference I went with the player who has more potential. Very risky pick I agree.

The guy I was working with really liked Ross and the site had him ranked as a 3rd rounder so if we didn't pick him there we probably wouldn't have gotten him. I was looking at Morris as a potential starter at RT for us. I thought adding a bigger guy would help our rotation, especially since he is more athletic than guys smaller than him. Were trying to draft an OT higher, but again the players we were looking at got picked.

I was hoping to add McGarigle UDFA but a team spent almost half of their allotted 100 pts on him.

Last edited:
Babatunde played NT at Stanford so he has that experience over Mahelona, not to mention the production.

Jennings is an unbelievable pick. In the real draft he'll be gone in the late 3rd to mid-4th, so that was sweet.

I thinks Cory Rodgers plays faster than he times so he's good as a FA.

I would have taken McGarigle over Morris. Like DaBruinz said, serious weight issues. He also can't stay healthy.

Willie Hall is an intriguing UDFA. If his feet were a little better, he would be draft material. He looks like the kind of guy Dante could mold for a few years.

Looking at that mock draft, quickly, I might have picked the following available players:
1) DeAngelo Williams, RB ( a lot of miles on his tires but he can run his ass off. Plus, he'll sit and wait his turn this year)
2) Darnell Bing, S (Raw, but who better to learn from than Rodney)
3) Alan Zemaitis, CB (Good size, underrated)
3) Jason Avant, WR (David Givens II)
4) Kai Parham, ILB (Poor combine, but plays in/out in the 3/4)
4) Montavious Stanley, NT (Good size and motor)
5) Ryan Cook, OL (Versatile, like BB likes them)
6) Greg Jennings, WR (Wow, 3rd rounder in the 6th? STEAL OF THE DRAFT!! :rocker: )
7) Tony Scheffler, TE (Another MAC steal, catches everything)

If we end up with either scenario, I'll be happy.

greg jennings WILL NOT last until the sixth round
the latest he goes is fourth round, LATEST

good picks, but this is how i would have done it (no offense)

1) Antonio Cromartie, CB (secondary is a bigger need then LB, just look at last years numbers)
2) Martin Nance, WR (was being talked about as a possible top ten pick preinjury, very underrated)
3) Terna Nande, OLB (AMAZING athlete, great in coverage, think ernie sims he can bench 520 punds)
3) Maurice Drew, RB (St-st-st-steaal)
4) Kai Parham, ILB (really just a Pats type of player)
4) Mark Setterstrom, OL (i just like him, he gets the job done)
5) Ryan Cook, OL (Versatile)
6) Greg Jennings, WR (Steal)
7) Connor Hughes, K (F VINATERI!!!!!)

im starting to get a feeling we might trade up into the top ten and try and grab michael huff
however, if we dont trade any of our picks here are my preliminary ones

1 olb manny lawson (although i really do like cromartie)
2 rb joseph addai (or maybe cb richard marshall)
3 te joe klopfenstein
3 wr greg jennings
4 wr mike hass
4 s nate salley
5 qb bruce gradkowski
6 ? oline/dline
comp6 ? oline/dline
7 cb/s antwan allen
comp7 k josh huston

patsfan55 said:
im starting to get a feeling we might trade up into the top ten and try and grab michael huff
however, if we dont trade any of our picks here are my preliminary ones

1 olb manny lawson (although i really do like cromartie)
2 rb joseph addai (or maybe cb richard marshall)
3 te joe klopfenstein
3 wr greg jennings
4 wr mike hass
4 s nate salley
5 qb bruce gradkowski
6 ? oline/dline
comp6 ? oline/dline
7 cb/s antwan allen
comp7 k josh huston

Cromartie over Lawson? That's a tough one, but Lawson is going to be a steal. Cromartie has 'bust' written all over him

Last edited:
Cromartie's score in the 3 cone drill was not that great. I know he's not 100% yet and lateral quickness is one of the last things to return from a knee injury, but it's enough to concern me. I just can't see spending a first rounder on a guy with that much risk and inexperience. If I was going to gamble on a guy at CB witt one year of major college football, I'd take Joseph, faster, more mature and played in a better conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes