PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 top players in contract year; should we extend or wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The following are free agents after this season. Should we extend or wait? It seems unusual to have half of our top 10 players (10 highest caps) up for free agency.

Brady
Edelman
Gronkowski
McCourty
Van Noy

Yes to all except 2. Gronk probably retires if he even comes back this year. I expect him to. He did them wrong by waiting if he does quit in regards to cap space.

Mccourty is too expensive now. Frfent shot he gets cut in preseason when he refuses a pay cut.

What about Thuney?

The following are free agents after this season. Should we extend or wait? It seems unusual to have half of our top 10 players (10 highest caps) up for free agency.

Brady
Edelman
Gronkowski
McCourty
Van Noy
Yes. 3 years
Yes 2 years
Maybe depending upon retirement plans
Maybe depending upon retirement plans (and both of those are no until a commitment to playing longer is sure)
Yes 3 years.

Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes

Yes to all except 2. Gronk probably retires if he even comes back this year. I expect him to. He did them wrong by waiting if he does quit in regards to cap space.

Mccourty is too expensive now. Frfent shot he gets cut in preseason when he refuses a pay cut.
why would you cut McCourty? We won't be able to replace him.

Extension might leave us with dead money in 2020 and we don't need him to do anything in terms of capspace.

Brady is the only lock on that list, to my way of thinking. And people have offered me hard cash for my thoughts...

https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

The one i’d want to extend is (arguably) the least talented one : KVN.

He is younger and cheaper. That alone is enough for me to choose him as most likely.

The others ? Only Brady and #11 have NOT talked retirement, so all Bets are off I’d say...

1.) historically older qb’s don’t lose it gradually. Historically the bottom falls out very quickly on their performance. Brady’s performance fell off some last season, but I think it was entirely due to bb the gm not giving him enough to work with at the wide receiver position. Ps: looks like bb the gm is screwing brady yet again this year. Bb will probably put Brady on a year to year deal.

2.) yes, please extend him another two years.

3.) gronkowski appears to be looking for more cash for a last go around. No need to extend him.

4.) Bb signed Jason for two years, yet devin is on the last year of his deal?? Seems to me bb should extend devin one more year. (Devin willing that is)

5.) yes, pleas extend.

How are you going to entertain the idea of extending Gronk when he doesn’t even know if he’s going to play this year?

I think you’d have a pretty hard time finding middle ground between player and team, and at the moment it doesn’t appear as though either would feel comfortable with an extension, let alone both.

How are you going to entertain the idea of extending Gronk when he doesn’t even know if he’s going to play this year?

I think you’d have a pretty hard time finding middle ground between player and team, and at the moment it doesn’t appear as though either would feel comfortable with an extension, let alone both.

Question answered.. no need for further speculation..

Jason McCourty coming for two years is probably a sneaky way to get Devin to accept a one year extension below market price. I don't hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back