PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

46 Man Roster (updated to 49) - Lots Of Room At The End Of The Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you including the Rats in your list of "other teams"?

AJ are you sure Brisket wouldn't fit either above Petty or at least above 'the Hack' ???

Hell they would claim him and carry four qb s just to say they screwed over the pats. It's not like anybody would claim the #53 non-qb cut from the jesters. So anybody they cut to make room would def go to their ps.

Methinks you are just disagreeing for the sake of it (to have a good argue). But I for one don't see him making it to ps.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with your 47. To come up to 53, I'd probably go with:

48- Bolden(for value on special teams)
49- Flemming over Waddell
50- Hollister over Lendel
51-Grissom over Butler (special teams)
52- Langi
53- Cyrus Jones....Not sure why I'm picking him here, just don't see Bill giving up on a high draft pick after 1 year....

I wonder if Bill doesn't load linebackers and rotate rushing Shea, Van Noy, Hightower, Langi until he finds the combo that works. They are so thin at DE, maybe they only keep three.

And Elandon Roberts isn't looking like the find he was last year. Tough kid, but he swings and misses too much for this defense.
Maybe loading on the pure LBs is the right move. Not sure.

I think Roberts is fine. He had a bad play on Thurs but he also had some good ones before he left the game.

What I do know is he's better than Freeney

AJ are you sure Brisket wouldn't fit either above Petty or at least above 'the Hack' ???
Not sure why they would cut the guy they took in round 2 who has been in their system for a year and 2 camps to pick up a guy they passed in who went later and hasn't shown much somewhere else.

Hell they would claim him and carry four qb s just to say they screwed over the pats.
When have you ever seen the jets, or any team, do that?

It's not like anybody would claim the #53 non-qb cut from the jesters. So anybody they cut to make room would def go to their ps.
But that is a player who made their 53. 53rd players from bad teams are just as likely to get picked up as 53rd players from good teams.

Methinks you are just disagreeing for the sake of it (to have a good argue). But I for one don't see him making it to ps.
Thanks for trying to tell me what I think.
Feel free to think what you want. I believe brissett would make it to the practice squad.

I think he would make it through. Every team will have their QB slots filled. I don't envision a team cutting bait on the guy they are developing in their system as their 3 to replace him with brissett.
Taking a flier isnt really all there is to it because you have to cut someone you liked enough to keep on your 53.

I'd hope you're right, but this is a QB starved league and while he wouldn't know another team's plays and thus be relegated to 3rd string, getting a guy who played and held his own in actual NFL games - as well as learned under Brady and Belichick would probably be too much for a team of the Browns/Jets caliber to pass up

Meanwhile it's almost astounding too me how deep this projected squad is - especially given the notion that there's even 7 spots up for grabs on the 46 man roster (not to mention 53 - not to mention Practice Squad)

Of course this is in part because they traded higher draft picks for proven players (and the only reason Belichick could do THAT is because he's managed the cap so well)

And yet it's not like they've given up on developmental players - they just did it with later round picks and UDFAs - which is typical Belichick as "his" guys are often found among those groups

I'm not sure other teams will be ABLE to copy cat Belichick but once again he's created a new paradigm in the NFL by trading draft picks for proven starters and depth (again - one has to manage the cap well to do afford veterans instead of rookies)

If I had to pick a priority area it would be added OL depth along with TE (both as a backup to Gronk and for extra blocking on the line - protecting Brady is THE top priority as it always should be, now more than ever before.)

Phil Perry at CSNNE just posted his roster projection.

Patriots 53-man roster projection 2.0: Keeping three QBs

For those averse to clicking through a 13-page slide show, it goes like this:
- The 3 QBs
- Lewis and Bolden in at RB (5 RB, plus Develin)
- 6 WR (including Slater); Austin Carr does not make the 53
- Hollister as the 3rd TE over Lengel and O'Shaughnessy
- 8 OL; Fleming in, Waddle and McDermott out
- 8 DL; Grissom in, Ealy and Butler out
- 6 LB; Langi and Freeny in, Elandon Roberts out
- 5 CB; Jon Jones & Cyrus Jones in over Coleman, Moore, Killings
- Brandon King in for versatility/ST as the 5th safety

- The 3 QBs

I mostly agree except TE. They take the best blocker IMO.

- The 3 QBs

Butler may not be out. Carr has two weeks to force a decision. Tough road though.

PICK FIVE
for DE, LB, OLB and ST

Ealy (DE)
Grissom (DE, ST)
McClellan (LB, ST)
Van Noy (LB)
Freeny (ST, LB)
Langi (LB)
Roberts (LB)
Bates (LB)

Maybe the surest one of the group is Langi.

I'd hope you're right, but this is a QB starved league and while he wouldn't know another team's plays and thus be relegated to 3rd string, getting a guy who played and held his own in actual NFL games - as well as learned under Brady and Belichick would probably be too much for a team of the Browns/Jets caliber to pass up

Meanwhile it's almost astounding too me how deep this projected squad is - especially given the notion that there's even 7 spots up for grabs on the 46 man roster (not to mention 53 - not to mention Practice Squad)

Of course this is in part because they traded higher draft picks for proven players (and the only reason Belichick could do THAT is because he's managed the cap so well)

And yet it's not like they've given up on developmental players - they just did it with later round picks and UDFAs - which is typical Belichick as "his" guys are often found among those groups

I'm not sure other teams will be ABLE to copy cat Belichick but once again he's created a new paradigm in the NFL by trading draft picks for proven starters and depth (again - one has to manage the cap well to do afford veterans instead of rookies)

If I had to pick a priority area it would be added OL depth along with TE (both as a backup to Gronk and for extra blocking on the line - protecting Brady is THE top priority as it always should be, now more than ever before.)
Other teams have traded picks for players. I just don't think there is a "copy belichick" blue print because what belichick does is do whatever belichick thinks is right.

I'm leaning in the direction of 2 additional TE's. I don't want either Allen or Gronk featuring on special teams with their injury histories. I think the team does carry 4 tight ends. One straight backup to Gronk/Allen, and one special teams focus guy.

Why do you need 2 additional TEs for that ? Lengel or O'Shaughnessy are proven ST contributors.. just need one out of those two.

It's an inefficient use of space to have a third layer of protection for Gronk relative to other places on the roster.

I would guess that we are carrying 14 front seven defensive players, including special teamers. 4 are the DTs: Branch, Brown, Valentine and Guy. 2 are LB's Hightower and Harris. 1 is DE Flowers. 2 are Wise and Rivers. That's 9, leaving 5 openings.

There are lots of roles on a Patricia defense. The ability to play several roles is important. Obviously, ST ability is also important. AT least one of the linebackers need to play outside. That player could be Hightower.

PICK FIVE
for DE, LB, OLB and ST

Ealy (DE)
Grissom (DE, ST)
McClellan (LB, ST)
Van Noy (LB)
Freeny (ST, LB)
Langi (LB)
Roberts (LB)
Bates (LB)

Grisson, McClellan, VN, Langi, Freeny.

Roberts is a lesser Spikes who can blow up runs but at the same time the way he explodes into the LOS a good back will make him overcommit and simply cut away to run by him. Similarly, last year he has been awful in coverage. He is more one-dimensional than most of the five I picked.

That being said, am I happy to keep Freeny on the team ? Nope. But don't see anyone else on that list that has enough value to displace him.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I think.
-Not sure exactly how you could construe that from what I said (was my opinion), but whatever.
Feel free to think what you want. I believe brissett would make it to the practice squad.
Fair enough, we both argued our piece neither convinced the other. And I believe you will never get a chance to have your theory tested & therefore my position debunked or sustained.

I mostly agree except TE. They take the best blocker IMO.

The best blocker is Fleming as the Jumbo TE/OL. He may just be the best drive blocker on the OL too, as well as the best pass blocker among the TEs. Then Hollis pass catching counts.

The best question asked BB post game was how much he balanced a game vs practice in evaluation. This gave Bill an opportunity to talk about his approach rather than comment on a single player or position so it is not surprising that he offered the most honest answer.

Part of his answer was he was looking for improvement. On top of the obvious two players, I didn't think Roberts, Coleman, Brissett showed any improvement over last year. I'm not sure about the special teamers like Grissom. Lewis, Freeney, Bolden played as you would have hoped.

These are the trends to watch.

Other teams have traded picks for players. I just don't think there is a "copy belichick" blue print because what belichick does is do whatever belichick thinks is right.

Duh - of course they've traded draft picks for players

But not so much to the to the degree Belichick did this year.

You've got to have the cap room for Veteran contracts. Rookies are cheap.

PICK FIVE
for DE, LB, OLB and ST

Ealy (DE)
Grissom (DE, ST)
McClellan (LB, ST)
Van Noy (LB)
Freeny (ST, LB)
Langi (LB)
Roberts (LB)
Bates (LB)
Ealy
McClellin
Van Noy
Langi
Bates

That was easy.

Ealy
McClellin
Van Noy
Langi
Bates

That was easy.
Any chance of saving that space and keeping Bates on the PS, instead? I couldn't imagine too many scenarios where he wouldn't make it through.

Any chance of saving that space and keeping Bates on the PS, instead? I couldn't imagine too many scenarios where he wouldn't make it through.

Yes, the cap's 5th choice is the issue. I believe that Bates is (and should be) headed for the PS. His choice leave a need for an additional STer: either Grissom or Freeny.
I'm fine with one of these listed a STer. I don't expect either to be on the field as a position player.

I suspect that Patricia might see Freeny as a better MLB backup than anyone cap picked. this is important if Hightower will be a DE/OLB this year, as I hope will be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes