PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

46 Man Roster (updated to 49) - Lots Of Room At The End Of The Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question OP, are there any players on current roster that we're also on last years team that's not on your list? I think all those should be covered, for example the safety that sucked last game whose name I don't recall, if they're a veteran of last years team and still on it so far, that name should be on list regardless how unlikely we think it is they will make it to roster this year for beginning of real season

Here are my locks... I have 45 as of now but it can change.

QB (3) T.Brady, J.Brissett, J.Garoppolo
RB/FB (5) M.Gillislee, J.White, R.Burkhead, D.Lewis, J.Develin
WR (6) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, B.Cooks, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola,
TE (2) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (3) N.Solder, M.Cannon, T.Garcia
DE (3) T.Flowers, D.Rivers, D. Wise
DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, L.Guy, V.Valentine
LB(4) D.Hightower, D.Harris, H.Langi, B.King
CB (4) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones
SS (2) P.Chung, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, M. Slater

On the inside looking out...

(5) Hollister - TE, Ealy - DE, Robert - LB C. Flemming - OT, A. Butler - DT

On the outside looking in...

(11) J. O'Shaughnessy - TE, J. Richards - S, A. Carr - WR, D. Lucien - WR, S. McClellin - LB. Van Noy - LB, Freeney - LB, Moore - CB, S. Jones, Grissom - DE/LB, Bolden - RB

At this point no one else is really worth mentioning.

Nice summary for the most part. Here are some thoughts that came to mind while reading:

Hollister and Fleming are bound at the hip given how the former can't block. Gotta keep Fleming as Jumbo TE. Similarly, Hollister would have a trickle down effect on ST as he has not been a contributor there. Still think O'Shaughnessy will end up being the third TE due to his ST value.

Also if you ask me at this point Ealy is less likely to be on the roster than Grissom or Freeney. Mostly because he has shown zilch while the other two have been carried through multiple offseasons by BB already. Consistency and reliability over ability.

Finally, I also think that Cyrus will eventually be on the roster mostly because despite everything he still has that elite burst/first cut that can make him a weapon on returns. But given how incurable his brain farts seem to be this opinion of mine is not particularly strong.

Hollister and Fleming are bound at the hip given how the former can't block. Gotta keep Fleming as Jumbo TE. Similarly, Hollister would have a trickle down effect on ST as he has not been a contributor there. Still think O'Shaughnessy will end up being the third TE due to his ST value.

Correction: Hollister did play in kicking game (note two 48s) and he showed nice effort and some success blocking. Maybe he doesn't have the frame . but he certainly has a heart and also some toughness . shown at receiving as well.

Having said that Id be surprised as well if he beats O'Shaughnessy . but JO better get back on the field asap.

Here are my locks... I have 45 as of now but it can change.

QB (3) T.Brady, J.Brissett, J.Garoppolo
RB/FB (5) M.Gillislee, J.White, R.Burkhead, D.Lewis, J.Develin
WR (6) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, B.Cooks, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola,
TE (2) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (3) N.Solder, M.Cannon, T.Garcia
DE (3) T.Flowers, D.Rivers, D. Wise
DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, L.Guy, V.Valentine
LB(4) D.Hightower, D.Harris, H.Langi, B.King
CB (4) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones
SS (2) P.Chung, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, M. Slater

On the inside looking out...

(5) Hollister - TE, Ealy - DE, Robert - LB C. Flemming - OT, A. Butler - DT

On the outside looking in...

(11) J. O'Shaughnessy - TE, J. Richards - S, A. Carr - WR, D. Lucien - WR, S. McClellin - LB. Van Noy - LB, Freeney - LB, Moore - CB, S. Jones, Grissom - DE/LB, Bolden - RB

At this point no one else is really worth mentioning.

Don't care to jump on a premature party here but at least a few more names are “worth mentioning“ and moreover keeping an eye on: Cole Croston and Damarius Travis had very good games as “starters“ on the night. Croston was second best OL on the night IMO behind amazing Karras and Travis was best safety (not the deepest position BTW).

I also have K.J. Maye as strong PS candidate, excellent for contested practice and spy teams purposes. I wouldn't sleep on Killings either..
_

And for all we know, Bolden might be neck and neck w Lewis (not just based on Thursday) .. or they could very well carry both again.

Correction: Hollister did play in kicking game (note two 48s) and he showed nice effort and some success blocking. Maybe he doesn't have the frame . but he certainly has a heart and also some toughness . shown at receiving as well.

Having said that Id be surprised as well if he beats O'Shaughnessy . but JO better get back on the field asap.

With 32 players sitting out he essentially had to play on ST. I was going on what the beat folks were reporting based on practice / camp impressions.

JO was among the top tacklers on ST throughout the year in games that really matter so Hollister will have to show "something" special as move TE to move past OL and Lengel given his trickle down on OL and ST.

Not saying its impossible but if you ask me the cards are stacked against him. Afterall the big guarantee he got as UDFA goes to show that Caserio/BB saw something in his game that was intriguing so he has that going for him.

If you sign someone off another PS, I believe the rule is he has to go on active roster for three weeks at least. There is no such thing as 'reverting'; you just can't poach by only offering more bling.

In order for the Patriots to get Brissett back if he gets signed away, they would have to put in a waiver claim and their priority is dead last.

In order for the Patriots to get Brissett onto the practice squad, they need to attempt to sneak him through by cutting him. And then Brissett would have to choose to sign with them as opposed to some other teams practice squad. We can't assign players to the practice squad, once we cut them they have free will.

I don't think he'd make it to the PS based on the fact that he was mentored by Parcells and drafted in the 3rd round by Belichick. He also has a big arm and started a couple of games last season.

I'm guessing there would be at least a couple of teams who would be interested in taking a flier on him. Who knows, though?
I think he would make it through. Every team will have their QB slots filled. I don't envision a team cutting bait on the guy they are developing in their system as their 3 to replace him with brissett.
Taking a flier isnt really all there is to it because you have to cut someone you liked enough to keep on your 53.

I had completely written Jonathan Freeney off, but on Jax early opportunity (after the long punt return) he was a major reason the defense held them to a FG. Add in BB has always liked him combined with the questions about that position and special team contributions and he now looks 50/50 to me.

I know there is a "please no Freeney" group, but he may be finding a way in.

So, you think that Brissett is so bad that no team would want him as their #2 or #3 (and thus sign him off our PS)? And at the same time, he is good enough to be our #2 for 2018?
I don't think other teams have any reason at this point to think he is better than what they have.
Where did I say he is or isn't good enough to be our #2 in 2018.
What belichick believes about the player isn't broadcast to other teams.
What has he done that would make another team cut a guy they wanted to keep on their 53 who knows there offense and they are developing just to bring in brisset and see what they think about him?
It's not "he is so bad" it's that he hasn't shown what he is worth. Every team thinks their #3 has potential

I had completely written Jonathan Freeney off, but on Jax early opportunity (after the long punt return) he was a major reason the defense held them to a FG. Add in BB has always liked him combined with the questions about that position and special team contributions and he now looks 50/50 to me.

I noticed that. I probably should have mentioned him in my previous post because he was not only making plays but leading the newer guys as well.

At least that was my impression.

I don't think other teams have any reason at this point to think he is better than what they have.
Where did I say he is or isn't good enough to be our #2 in 2018.
What belichick believes about the player isn't broadcast to other teams.
What has he done that would make another team cut a guy they wanted to keep on their 53 who knows there offense and they are developing just to bring in brisset and see what they think about him?
It's not "he is so bad" it's that he hasn't shown what he is worth. Every team thinks their #3 has potential

Are you including the Rats in your list of "other teams"?

Freeny is also an excellent STer. A solid backup and a solid special teamer usually adds up to a roster spot.

I dunna know about Freeny making it this year. Tons of depth at LB this year.

I wonder if Bill doesn't load linebackers and rotate rushing Shea, Van Noy, Hightower, Langi until he finds the combo that works. They are so thin at DE, maybe they only keep three.

And Elandon Roberts isn't looking like the find he was last year. Tough kid, but he swings and misses too much for this defense.

Question OP, are there any players on current roster that we're also on last years team that's not on your list? I think all those should be covered, for example the safety that sucked last game whose name I don't recall, if they're a veteran of last years team and still on it so far, that name should be on list regardless how unlikely we think it is they will make it to roster this year for beginning of real season

Richards is the safety I think that you are referring to.

As you say, all veterans should be included in the list of those competing for roster spots.

IMHO, we fans can see very little relevant in games, compared to what Patricia sees in practice and in games. For example, we don't know what the assignments were on any particular play.

IMHO, we fans can see very little relevant in games, compared to what Patricia sees in practice and in games. For example, we don't know what the assignments were on any particular play.

Yes, but we know he (Richards) is slow and around a lot of the plays where assignments are missed.

Seems like for the final seven that an OL8, TE3, CB5, and DE3 are likely. After that it gets pretty open with the other three spots

Would think DE3 is someone that plays almost exclusively on the line. DE4 could simply be occupied based on the situation by a true combo type of DE/OLB or DE/DT type.

A 4th Safety seems needed as well since Harmon is essentially a starter. Here's to hoping one of the UDFAs stands out in the coming weeks and makes it a tough decision. As shaky as he's been, can still see Richards making this team via default.

Back to OL..can see them begin the year carrying 8, but having 9 at various points if/when guys are banged. Have to believe there will be games where Karras is starting, since the idea of the three guys inside all holding up for 16 games seems unrealistic.

Soo yeah...even with OL8, TE3, CB5, DE3, and S4, that still leaves a two spots, and suggests that being able to keep Carr is still a possibility.

Last edited:
I wonder if Bill doesn't load linebackers and rotate rushing Shea, Van Noy, Hightower, Langi until he finds the combo that works. They are so thin at DE, maybe they only keep three.

And Elandon Roberts isn't looking like the find he was last year. Tough kid, but he swings and misses too much for this defense.

I would guess that we are carrying 14 front seven defensive players, including special teamers. 4 are the DTs: Branch, Brown, Valentine and Guy. 2 are LB's Hightower and Harris. 1 is DE Flowers. 2 are Wise and Rivers. That's 9, leaving 5 openings.

There are lots of roles on a Patricia defense. The ability to play several roles is important. Obviously, ST ability is also important. AT least one of the linebackers need to play outside. That player could be Hightower.

PICK FIVE
for DE, LB, OLB and ST

Ealy (DE)
Grissom (DE, ST)
McClellan (LB, ST)
Van Noy (LB)
Freeny (ST, LB)
Langi (LB)
Roberts (LB)
Bates (LB)

It doesn't make sense to go into the season with just a pair of Swarovskis at TE. They'll need a 3rd tight end.
I'm leaning in the direction of 2 additional TE's. I don't want either Allen or Gronk featuring on special teams with their injury histories. I think the team does carry 4 tight ends. One straight backup to Gronk/Allen, and one special teams focus guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back