PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 games in (EDIT Now HALF)/, let's talk spending spree (SUPER EDIT Regular season ending extravaganza)

It's not just here, it's the main thing that drives so much of sports talk radio and other media streams. They raise the guy up to god-like status then they knock him down every chance they get. Guess what, he's human, he makes mistakes just like every other human, but no one has the kind of overall coaching and GM record he does.

I can only imagine how this place would reek if we actually had an organization that put a crap product on the field decade after decade, like the Jete.

Take a big step back, take a deep breath, and be thankful it's been a great ride so far and now we're getting to see a reboot happening right in front of us.
Amen.

These guys forget, or were too young to know about, the dark times in the late 80's and early 90's.

Amen.

These guys forget, or were too young to know about, the dark times in the late 80's and early 90's.
Many forget the struggles prior Pat’s teams faced over the first month of new seasons… even with that other QB we had, and in seasons that ended in a ring.

They can’t remember 2018, never mind decades ago…

It’s always “talent,” execution isn’t really a thing. Players exist in a vacuum and if the team isn’t playing well it’s because formerly athletic players lost their athleticism overnight.

Fans were psyched to get these guys in the offseason but the moment the put on a Pat’s jersey they lost the ability to play football. And the first month is all the sample size we need.

You are entitled to your opinion

Last edited:
Many forget the struggles prior Pat’s teams faced over the first month of new seasons… even with that other QB we had, and in seasons that ended in a ring.
The '01 team was 1-3, the '03 team was 2-2. 2012 was 2-2 and ended up on the AFCCG. 2014 was 2-2 and famously on to Cincinnati. They've dug themselves a hole to be sure, but they can string some together and get right pretty fast. It can also get away from them real quick now, too.

SSS - Small sample size. Pure eye test from a TV watcher:

On offense:
Andrews is looking really rough so far. Not sure what's going on there, but he really needs to be better. he's not making a lot of money, and I have full faith in the guy helping Mac and that line getting where they need to be.
The only thing I can add to this excellent post is a few months ago when I saw that Andrews had his 1st kid in early Aug, my first thought was he is going to suck for the 1st 2-ish months.

We won’t get many returns from the WR/TE until this disappointment of an O line is fixed. Let’s give a hand for @captain stone who didn’t buy into the O line hype this offseason.

Judon is a steal.

Mills is up and down.

The rest aren’t panning out like most predicted.

I am happy with all of them except for Jonnu's deflected interception....

We are still working out the kinks....we will see them all pay dividends by season's end.

I think it's a work in progress with the guys brought in the one whose a definite homerun right now is Judon. That guy is a monster

quarter of the season over and mods handing out preemptive thread bans...wow

All you do it ***** about the team…maybe we should wait a little while before goimg after Bill and the new additions. Jesus…you must think you’re a better GM and coach.
Discussing what’s wrong beyond simply saying “the talent sucks” isn’t complaining… it’s the entire purpose of forums like this. Stop pretending to be the arbiter of what’s allowed to be said here.

Saying they’re playing poorly is a fact not opinion, penalties and mental errors aren’t the result of bad talent, it’s bad execution.

All I know is I’m a better poster and more rational fan than you.

A lot of Pat’s fans are negative whiners who think fantasy football is real football and teams win or lose based on the measurement of weapons on paper or magical QB’s.

I’m supremely optimistic about this team, if my criticism of fans bothers you perhaps look in the mirror.
This team should be 4-0.
I blame it on the football gods.

The shrieking alarmists looked at the headline contract figures and passed immediate judgement/disapproval.
The reality: When examined over the four year duration, the Pats total outlay will be very similar to most teams serious about contending.

Yup. And "serious about contending" isn't really a factor. All teams spend most of their cap every year. If they didn't, their fan bases would walk away, and the League office would fine them.

My grade, based on only 4 games, for the FAcy purchases is a C+. Need to get better. I'm confident Bill and our excellent coaching staff will make it happen. Lil Steve agrees.

The Good

• Matt Judon is playing as well as any pass rusher in the NFL other than Myles Garrett. They have him on 14 million per year & he’s playing like he’s worth more than that. He ended two drives vs. the Bucs & maybe the refs could call more holding.

• Jalen Mills has been pretty good in coverage, a great tackler & brings energy to the defense. He’s playing like a great CB3 so far.

• Kendrick Bourne has a 127.1 passer rating when targeted & is getting separation. Meyers & Bourne are capable WR2 & WR3.
The Meh

• Hunter Henry has been a fine TE. It’s obvious he’s overpaid but if he’s your 3rd or 4th option in the passing game you are doing well.

• Nelson Agholor skill set won’t be utilized until the OL improves and they take more deep shots. He’s essentially on a 1 year deal so him flopping isn’tba big deal.

• Davon Godchaux is decent. He’s an overpaid NT & a placeholder IMO.
The Ugly

• Jonnu Smith has been a disaster. The offense has been at its best with 3 WRs & Henry, He hasn’t been impressive with YAC, blocking is suspect & has frying pan hands.

About what you’d expect from paying a ton in FA. I think they got some leaders on defense & an underrated WR. The Jonnu Smith contract looks like the only one with potential longterm damage. They are going to have to find a real #1 option in the passing game & NT during Mac’s rookie deal to make strides towards being a contender IMO.

This is where I'm at. Agholor was a signing that I hated then and still hate now but I understood why. Godchaux I still don't understand.

Discussing what’s wrong beyond simply saying “the talent sucks” isn’t complaining… it’s the entire purpose of forums like this. Stop pretending to be the arbiter of what’s allowed to be said here.

Saying they’re playing poorly is a fact not opinion, penalties and mental errors aren’t the result of bad talent, it’s bad execution.

All I know is I’m a better poster and more rational fan than you.
Discussing “what’s wrong” does nothing outside of you noting your opinion. The team will be fine because of Coach Bill. Otherwise, if all you want to do is ***** and moan about the team, feel free to name coaches you’d rather have here. After you do that, take that list and go root for those teams. We have enough negative nancies on the forum. We don’t need one more.

Guys that would've contributed and played better:

Thuney (solidify the line)
Sony (good pass blocker, doesn't fumble)
Danny (gets open, clutch, cheap)
Butler (run blocker, cheap)
Cannon (veteran, cheap)

All of these guys know the system & although some of these guys are older, they could've been used in this "transition" year to get us to 2022 while helping Mac get better & saved $$ to pay Thuney and to get a real WR#1.

Butler (run blocker, cheap)
Wait...when did Butler become a run stuffer? Why wasn't anyone else told? Does he even know this because if he was more than the interior penetrator DL he could've gotten more money!

Wait...when did Butler become a run stuffer? Why wasn't anyone else told? Does he even know this because if he was more than the interior penetrator DL he could've gotten more money!
He's better than Godchaux and way cheaper.

Hmm, trying to gauge your sarcasm here...I do think Stevenson could be a very good NFL back. He's the guy I wanted and was thrilled when they got him, and everything in PS made me think that he was even better than I had hoped. I hate that he's in the doghouse.

I have faith in Taylor, too (2100 yards?...might be stretching it a lot, though).

I don't think the Michel trade looks good right now with Bolden getting more snaps than the other guys.

Or, are you Borat?
Listen, son, this is a team sport. T-E-A-M. Coach Bill spent a LOT of money this offseason to stack this offense with talent. Injuries happen. It sucks, but this ain’t fantasy football. This is the real deal. We roll with what we have. Next man up. These players are talented. They just need to play better. There’s no better man for the job than Coach Bill. Who are you to doubt the guys he selected for this roster? Last I checked, you’re picking your belly button on PatsFans.com while Coach Bill has 8 rings.

IBBIT.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back