PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 games in (EDIT Now HALF)/, let's talk spending spree (SUPER EDIT Regular season ending extravaganza)

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A quarter half THE WHOLE of the regular season is done. Time to pass judgment, thusly being forced into defend it forever. EDIT THATS WHY IM GIVING OUT RATINGS THIS TIME.
Stick around to the end where I will give out a rating to the FA in general. WOW

Judon

Absolutely jstified his worth. Hopefully he'll slide into leadership role and become the guy on defense, who will go through a remake one way or the other when Dmac and Ht leave
- Halfway update: Yep. Nothing more to be said
Well, there was a turn of events... His ending finished with a spurt, which is fine, given that the whole #D became a bit worse towards january, but he is still a slam dunk signing. I am really excited to what we are going to do with him next year, when the D staff will have a whole offseason to scheme around him. 9/10

Henry
So far, better than his counterpiece. Solid hands an good routes. But so far, not really that good at blocking
- Halfway update: First sentence becoming quite true. Second one becoming more false. Good to see
He continues to improve on the offense, and I love that he was able to stay healthy the whole year. In a couple of years, Henry will be a complete bargain and he will always be a force in the Redzone, thanks to his route running and awereness. Absolutely love him. 8/10

Smith
The most disappointing of all so far, albeir one game has really tainted this sample. He is really good at YAC tho, so there is a good chance he can recover.
- Halfway update: Still pretty bad IMO. Can do stuff with the ball in his hands, but if we need to design plays for him to run with it... might not be worth the investment (Still plenty of time tho, for better or worse)
The biggest disappointment of the class, Smith never got it going. I wont speculate on the reason why, Im only hopping he can improve in year 2. If he doesnt, early candidate for a cut/trade in year 3 of his contract? (dont know the cap stuff, wont look it up lol). Anyways, he is a solid blocker and good at YAC. Lets hope next year he is better, and Ill grade on this potential too, but there is no denying it: Not worth the contract. So far. PS- pls improve catching 4/10

Mills
Has surprised me a lot with his man coverage skills. He Might be a great Jones replacement once we sort our outside ****.
- Halfway update: Meh. He's decent, but not a guy we can stay comfortable as a #2 (or even #3). Needs more consistency
Roller coaster season. While he was bad in a few moments, he passed by most games unnoticed, which is a good thing overall. i dont think he has a high ceiling, but having a decent DB as #4 or #3 guy is very nice. At 6m per, not bad at all. 6/10

Godchaux

A signing I didnt like at the beginning and its showing I was right. Guy is fat, and thats about it. Flores is a heck of a DC and let him walk cheaply.
- Halfway update: Trash. Every time I look for him specifically he's being carried 5 yards back. Trash.
Well, well, well. Ive been saying. Ive been watching and reading your posts for a whooole season. And finally everyone comes around. JUST AS PLANNED.
Look, this guy is a guy i watched ever since the dolphins days (i really like Flores.) I saw him being mediocre there. I thought we overpaid for a guy who in his BEST SNAPS only goes latterally. Many times, unwillingly. A guy with slow feet and mediocre hands usage. But hey, he got 10 tackles once. He is a bad player, easily exploitable, and one of the reasons our Run D has been mediocre and bad the whole season. Bad signing, but not unexpected. 1/10

H. Anderson - Went on IR, so his contributions to team will remain the same.

Agholor
I still believe in him and I saw him open more than Mac's given him credit for. At his price tag tho? A bit disappointing
- Halfway update: Running out of time to make his contract worth, but I keep my last status
The best way to describe Agholor is... We miss him when he's not around. Maybe he isnt a guy thats going to get 1000 yards on our system. But does he have to? It all comes down to his salary over production to me... So he is really tricky to rate, because guys that got more money some where else havent really lighten up the world on fire, but i doubt they are going back to the market. In the end, Im satisfied with Agholor. No dropsies for the season in general is good too 6.5/10

Bourne
I was skeptical, but has been a great addition. Can he become a proper Edelman replacemente? Idk
- Halfway update: Everythings sounds fair to me here
Biggest improvement, and by the end of the year, i think he is our best WR. Love his energy, love his play style. I now think he can be a Edelman clone in the playbook, not as in playing the same type of receiver, but being our Go-To-Guy in the clutch WR. I really really like him and he is cheap. 8/10

All in all, I have mixed feelings, but much bc our TEs havent really given the return I was expecting. If we end up missing the Playoffs, much will be talked aboit this.
- Halfway update: Henry becoming actually good makes for a good grade overall, but Jonnu Smith is starting to become a clear bust, at least in year 1

No more tiptoeing! This class has been.... GOOD! I mean, look at the ratings. Godsucks is the only misfire, given that Jonnu STILL HAS THE POTENTIAL to blossom, this is kinda unprecedent in Patriots history and a great sign that BB isnt completely senile yet. If this year becames the foundation of SB-caliber team in the coming years, this will be looked at as one of the best GM-years of all time (adding this amazing draft to the list). But lets focus on the present now, with what we had, our successes and our godchaux'es, this has been a good Spending spree.

FINAL RATING 7.5/10

--Returning Players, halfway update thoughts:

Van Noy - Ok guy, has bursts, but needs to be replaced as he is not the same. At 6M per, depending on what happens in the Offseason, wouldnt be hugely surprised if he is cut actually

Karras - I thought he was a steal then and continue to do so. Dont shoot me, but I prefer him over Andrews.

Bonus round - Covid returners - DMac and HT - HT has been better, but I think the wheels are falling off of both of thenm. Need to make plans for their replacements, next year (if it happens) will be the last

Last edited:
A quarter of the season is done. Time to pass judgment, thusly being forced into defend it forever

Judon - Absolutely jstified his worth. Hopefully he'll slide into leadership role and become the guy on defense, who will go through a remake one way or the other when Dmac and Ht leave

Henry - So far, better than his counterpiece. Solid hands an good routes. But so far, not really that good at blocking

Smith - The most disappointing of all so far, albeir one game has really tainted this sample. He is really good at YAC tho, so there is a good chance he can recover.

Mills - Has surprised me a lot with his man coverage skills. He Might be a great Jones replacement once we sort our outside ****.

Godchaux - A signing I didnt like at the beginning and its showing I was right. Guy is fat, and thats about it. Flores is a heck of a DC and let him walk cheaply

H. Anderson - Went on IR, so his contributions to team will remain the same.

Agholor - I still believe in him and I saw him open more than Mac's given him credit for. At his price tag tho? A bit disappointing

Bourne - I was skeptical, but has been a great addition. Can he become a proper Edelman replacemente? Idk

All in all, I have mixed feelings, but much bc our TEs havent really given the return I was expecting. If we end up missing the Playoffs, much will be talked aboit this.

Still too early. Try again at mid-season.

Godchaux really was a "what were you thinking" signing from the start. Wonder if he's ever gonna get benched.

I think what's being overlooked is that on top of working a rookie Q we also have key contributors new to the offense in 4 other spots.

Hopefully we do better but it looks like Judon is a stud and if we can get at least one of the WRs and one of the TEs to work out then the spending spree would still be a good start to the rebuild. Mills needs to fill his role too.

Then cut bait with the failures. The ultimate success of the rebuild comes down to Mac anyway. And just think what he'd be working with had we not gone on the spending spree and instead held the money for a future spree.

The Good

• Matt Judon is playing as well as any pass rusher in the NFL other than Myles Garrett. They have him on 14 million per year & he’s playing like he’s worth more than that. He ended two drives vs. the Bucs & maybe the refs could call more holding.

• Jalen Mills has been pretty good in coverage, a great tackler & brings energy to the defense. He’s playing like a great CB3 so far.

• Kendrick Bourne has a 127.1 passer rating when targeted & is getting separation. Meyers & Bourne are capable WR2 & WR3.
The Meh

• Hunter Henry has been a fine TE. It’s obvious he’s overpaid but if he’s your 3rd or 4th option in the passing game you are doing well.

• Nelson Agholor skill set won’t be utilized until the OL improves and they take more deep shots. He’s essentially on a 1 year deal so him flopping isn’tba big deal.

• Davon Godchaux is decent. He’s an overpaid NT & a placeholder IMO.
The Ugly

• Jonnu Smith has been a disaster. The offense has been at its best with 3 WRs & Henry, He hasn’t been impressive with YAC, blocking is suspect & has frying pan hands.

About what you’d expect from paying a ton in FA. I think they got some leaders on defense & an underrated WR. The Jonnu Smith contract looks like the only one with potential longterm damage. They are going to have to find a real #1 option in the passing game & NT during Mac’s rookie deal to make strides towards being a contender IMO.

Last edited:
We had a pretty bad roster last year. Money needed to be spent to bring in some talent. Whether or not it's paying off, we'll see, but I won't hold it against the team if they swing and miss on some of these. If it becomes one of those things where every year we're spending big and not doing anything with it like some of these perennial offseason champions, then it becomes a real issue. I think most of them are doing fine (Henry, Bourne, Agholor, Mills, Judon) with a few exceptions, who are kind of disappointing or just there not doing much.

If only NE brought in a reliable tackle instead of damaged goods at pennies on the dollar.
With a more viable OL, I would expect the team's new, high priced playmakers to be much more than possession receivers.

If only NE brought in a reliable tackle instead of damaged goods at pennies on the dollar.
With a more viable OL, I would expect the team's new, high priced playmakers to be much more than possession receivers.
I think no one expected the OL to be this bad. And they dis bring Trent Brown

Like the players they brought in. Particularly Judon, Mills, Henry. Add what seems to be a good draft. Hope contributions both this season and beyond lead NE to improvements.

SSS - Small sample size. Pure eye test from a TV watcher:

On offense:
Bourne was a steal at $5/per.

Henry and Smith will only get better. Glad they're here - Henry looks like the more complete player, but Smith might well prove to be the most explosive YAC guy on the team.

Agholor is being paid what he's worth. He's not being paid like a top WR, and he's not. Might have been too much $$$ for what the Pats want him to do, this far at least - hopefully we'll see some 40-50 yarders as the team settles in. Still, very glad he's here.

He's not being used as a #1 (not paid as 1, either) but the philosophy here doesn't call for a #1, pretty clearly. The true #1's are getting 17+/year and are demanding the ball often (when healthy - and their teams are crippled when they're not).

The Pat are obviously looking to spread it around - three WRs, two TEs, and an RB are going to get 4-8 targets/game. So none are typically going to stand out compared to the go-to guys on other teams.

Even Harry is going to get his plays in this offense (heads explode!). He had 15 snaps the other night and was targeted twice. On the first, drew a PI for a first down in the first TD drive. The second was a 10-yard reception for a first down in the second TD drive.

That's the way they're going to play it, and they've got a QB who can handle that very well. They're going to look for the mismatches and demand that no defense can take X player away.

For the TEs - last week should show you what they want from them (probably Harry, too, as he works back in): TDs.

Andrews is looking really rough so far. Not sure what's going on there, but he really needs to be better. he's not making a lot of money, and I have full faith in the guy helping Mac and that line getting where they need to be.

On Defense: PFF be damned, Judon was the key here, and he's a steal at 14/per.

Godchaux is looking better the last couple of games, but still looks iffy for that contract. Wise, too, surprised me with that contract. BB wants these guys to be leaders on that D. Hope it's happening behind the scenes.

Guy was a steal coming back.

Jalen Mills is looking worth every penny they paid him.

Tough break for Anderson, but these things happen (which is reflective of the way BB spends money).

Van Noy is making solid money for veteran contributions. Glad to have him at that price.

Right now, and I hate to say it, the worst contract on the team is Hightower. He really hasn't looked good - but the guy had a year off and isn't a kid. Watch him take over that D in the second half when he gets his legs under him (much like Gronk did in Tampa last year).

This should be a 2-2 team, could be a 3-1 team, but they're a 1-3 team and you are what your record says you are. We'll learn a lot about the characters of the guys they brought in over the next few weeks. No letdown in Houston, I hope.

Yes, I remain a homer. I'm very optimistic for the future. If this team clicks, they have 5 weapons on the field every play.

Biggest mistake this year looks like trading Michel. Stevenson and Taylor have to step up.

Still too early to make definitive answers. Since this is the first time the Pats had 11 new starters since 2001, let's look at that season. The defense was mediocre to average the first half of that season and from around midseason on through the playoffs they were the #1 scoring defense in the league. A large part of that was because the players needed to gel together.

And most offensive skills players take time to acclimate to the Patriots offense. Welker and Moss did it right away, but they are the exception to the rule.

So you do have to expect with so many new starters this year, that a lot of players need to get acclimated to the team around them. So it is conceivable that players who have disappointed could turn the corner and become the players the Pats hoped for when they signed them or potentially even better.

SSS - Small sample size. Pure eye test from a TV watcher:

On offense:
Bourne was a steal at $5/per.

Henry and Smith will only get better. Glad they're here - Henry looks like the more complete player, but Smith might well prove to be the most explosive YAC guy on the team.

Agholor is being paid what he's worth. He's not being paid like a top WR, and he's not. Might have been too much $$$ for what the Pats want him to do, this far at least - hopefully we'll see some 40-50 yarders as the team settles in. Still, very glad he's here.

He's not being used as a #1 (not paid as 1, either) but the philosophy here doesn't call for a #1, pretty clearly. The true #1's are getting 17+/year and are demanding the ball often (when healthy - and their teams are crippled when they're not).

The Pat are obviously looking to spread it around - three WRs, two TEs, and an RB are going to get 4-8 targets/game. So none are typically going to stand out compared to the go-to guys on other teams.

Even Harry is going to get his plays in this offense (heads explode!). He had 15 snaps the other night and was targeted twice. On the first, drew a PI for a first down in the first TD drive. The second was a 10-yard reception for a first down in the second TD drive.

That's the way they're going to play it, and they've got a QB who can handle that very well. They're going to look for the mismatches and demand that no defense can take X player away.

For the TEs - last week should show you what they want from them (probably Harry, too, as he works back in): TDs.

Andrews is looking really rough so far. Not sure what's going on there, but he really needs to be better. he's not making a lot of money, and I have full faith in the guy helping Mac and that line getting where they need to be.

On Defense: PFF be damned, Judon was the key here, and he's a steal at 14/per.

Godchaux is looking better the last couple of games, but still looks iffy for that contract. Wise, too, surprised me with that contract. BB wants these guys to be leaders on that D. Hope it's happening behind the scenes.

Guy was a steal coming back.

Jalen Mills is looking worth every penny they paid him.

Tough break for Anderson, but these things happen (which is reflective of the way BB spends money).

Van Noy is making solid money for veteran contributions. Glad to have him at that price.

Right now, and I hate to say it, the worst contract on the team is Hightower. He really hasn't looked good - but the guy had a year off and isn't a kid. Watch him take over that D in the second half when he gets his legs under him (much like Gronk did in Tampa last year).

This should be a 2-2 team, could be a 3-1 team, but they're a 1-3 team and you are what your record says you are. We'll learn a lot about the characters of the guys they brought in over the next few weeks. No letdown in Houston, I hope.

Yes, I remain a homer. I'm very optimistic for the future. If this team clicks, they have 5 weapons on the field every play.

Biggest mistake this year looks like trading Michel. Stevenson and Taylor have to step up.
Almost spot on except for the end. Trading Michel was a no-brainer move. This is what makes Bill the GOAT GM. Stevenson and Taylor will both step up. I expect the former to have over 1,000 yards rushing by season’s end when we unleash him on the league and I expect the latter to have at LEAST 1,300 receiving yards to go with 800 rushing yards and double digit touchdowns.

It wasn't a "spree." The Pats can't significantly underspend to the cap. All they've done is fill holes within a reasonable budget.
The shrieking alarmists looked at the headline contract figures and passed immediate judgement/disapproval.
The reality: When examined over the four year duration, the Pats total outlay will be very similar to most teams serious about contending.

The offense and particularly offensive line are playing poorly, so not surprisingly the weapons suck.

The defense is playing well but the offense isn’t, so the defense sucks for not holding opponents to zero points.

#PatsFans

Echo most sentiments posted. Hunter and Agholor are incompletes thus far to me, they seem to have gotten open a lot more than we’ve been able to hit them and each should have a couple more tds.

Judon, Bourne, mills - really like thus far, and they have improved weekly it seems except Judon who’s beasted from day one.
Godchaux, Smith - disappointing thus far, need a lot more to justify their checks. Still think smith can make an impact for us but don’t realistically see him as a $13m guy

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back