PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

2024 QB

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
Michael Penix is a first round talent who has been through a lot of adversity:
In 2018, it was an ACL tear in his right knee. In 2019, he dislocated the sternoclavicular joint in his right arm. In 2020, he tore the same ACL again in his right knee. Then in 2021, he separated his shoulder at his AC joint.

Patriot Missile

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
Stronger class than rb for sure.

Like Nabers, think he’s the 2nd wr off the board so imo not available with our 2nd pick.

If I’m looking at wr from round 2 on some guys I’m intrigued by are Xavier Worthy out of Texas, Malachi Corley from Western Kentucky (think Deebo with the tenacity of a Steve smith) and Malik Washington from UVA. Get Zay Flowers vibes with Washington. Worthy is
I think he goes 1 overall to Chicago. Chicago sticks with Fields and takes WR1 and the best tackle.
Harrison at number 1 is definitely getting a lot of buzz. Chicago hasn’t had an elite offensive talent like him since WP. Don’t think they’ve ever had a wr in the hall of fame, its a pick that would delight their fans.

One-If-By-Sea

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Harrison at number 1 is definitely getting a lot of buzz. Chicago hasn’t had an elite offensive talent like him since WP. Don’t think they’ve ever had a wr in the hall of fame, its a pick that would delight their fans.

They should go QB at #1. That is what makes a franchise.

borisman

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Not picking an issue with you, just offering another angle. I think he's going to be hyped because he's leading a very good (finally) Texas team. That hype will paint a rosier picture than reality. I'd consider him for the Pats after Round 3 depending on how other positions have been addressed. Personally, I'd take a flyer on KState's Howard in R6, maybe in R5, again depending on how well other positions have been addressed.
I just wanted to make it clear I was not endorsing Ewers as our next QB. We have to trade for one (doubtful), sign a FA (none really worth considering) or draft one (likely with one of first two picks and maybe a later pick if Mac gets traded) for next year.
As far as taking a flier in middle rounds, I like Brady Cook from Missouri. Gotta draft the next Brady, right? haha
My preference all along is, depending on draft position (not in the top 3), is trade down (no, I don't work for Belichick), draft a OT (I really like JC Latham) and then trade back up into the first for a QB (McCarthy). If we're stuck in the second then there may still be choices of Penix, Nix or Daniels. I do believe there will be a run in the draft on QB's, sooner than later.
We can then go after a WR. Some may be available in the beginning of the third or end of second.
A mid round WR to keep an eye on is X. Restrepo, from Miami. Reminds me of Jules.

Jredman17

Rookie
Reactions
Right now I think Williams/Maye are gonna go 1 and 2 regardless of team. Maybe there's a chance one of the two drops to three but I think NYG, Falcons, Pats, Packers, TB, Jets, and Rams are all teams that could put packages together to move up to grab one of those two. If we don't get Maye or Williams I think I'm in favor of grabbing someone like Harrison or an OT and taking a flyer on a day 2 or 3 QB while also adding a FA/Trade QB like Cousins, Dobbs, Tannehill etc.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Don't be surprised if neither the Bears nor the Cardinals go for a QB early.

I can see both of them sticking with Fields and Murray over Maye and Williams.

That leaves the Giants. Would they take another ACC QB from one of the North Carolina schools?

One thing is certain: Marvin Harrison is going early.

Personally, none of the other QBs look good to me. Not Nix, not McCarthy. I'd almost prefer Penix. Worried about all these guys.

The person I like most is Caleb Williams. Short compact throwing motion, gets the ball out quick, mobile, strong arm. If you look at Maye, he has a wind up like Rick Mallet. A very mobile Mallet.
i like Caleb Williams the best of all the QBs. I think the media and fan forums have blown his issues out of proportion. He is on a garbage USC team and they win because of him, not in spite of him. A great talent. We do need OLine help and athletes at WR so there are many holes that cant be fixed in one draft. But we may never draft this high again so BB needs to get this right. I would also be ok with bringing in a vet QB and see who rises to the top. Dont know who is out there available but could look there as well.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
i like Caleb Williams the best of all the QBs. I think the media and fan forums have blown his issues out of proportion. He is on a garbage USC team and they win because of him, not in spite of him. A great talent. We do need OLine help and athletes at WR so there are many holes that cant be fixed in one draft. But we may never draft this high again so BB needs to get this right. I would also be ok with bringing in a vet QB and see who rises to the top. Dont know who is out there available but could look there as well.
Kevin Cousins. He's old anyway so he wouldn't stand in the way of a young QB for more than a year or two.

They_Hate_We

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Word on Ewers is that there is a chance he runs it back one more year with Texas. Be interesting to watch if Arch Manning enters the transfer portal if Ewers does indeed try to stay. He supposed to have an NFL arm, but has yet to show his best football yet.

Penix has a strong arm as well. He does have an injury history and I've read he's kind of statuesque in the pocket. He has, however, only been sacked 7 times this season, so either he's got a good O-Line, or quick release. A straight up pocket passer kind of scares me, unless we invest heavily in updating our O-Line.

Jayden Daniels is the best dual-threat quarterback in this draft (Caleb Williams says he doesn't like to run). I'm an LSU fan so I've seen a ton of JD over the past 2 years. How he as grown in all aspects of his game has been phenomenal. Being a Tiger-homer, I'd love to see him on the Pats, but I think he may be gone by the time we pick in Rd 2 because he's getting a lot of Heisman talk right now. On a side note, LSU always ranks high on Strength of Schedule.

Nix, I saw a lot of him at Auburn when he was horrible. He's a completely different player now. The brief times I've watched his highlights or caught part of a Ducks game, I can't believe its the same guy.

Caleb Williams does play a lot like Mahomes, so the comparisons seem warranted. He scares me for a few reasons, and they all have to do with his head. Whether its being generated by the media or not, he did come out with a list of 5 teams he will play for, and the Pats ain't one of them. The threat of NIL deals and players returning to college are real. Even if he does decide to play for the Pats if drafted, and even if he is a top 10 QB by the end of his rookie contract, I totally see him going Deshaun Watson on the team and demanding a king's ransom or a trade.

Drake Maye? Haven't seen him play other than highlights. He seems to be getting the same type of hype that Lawrence got coming out of college (with added scrambling ability). Seems like a solid prospect, but I don't think the Pats are in a position to put a trade package together just to move up and get him. Too many holes to fill.

In all, I still think that we win enough games to miss out on Williams, Maye, and MJH. Take the best OL on the board or trade down and get one of the 1B tier QBs and start loading up on OL and WR in Rds 1, 2, and 3. But hell, what do I know. GM BB may re-draft Cole Strange 2.0, and the Rams will laugh at him.

Username

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reactions
Michael Penix is a baller.

But, operations on both shoulders and both knees, he's one hard hit from being quadriplegic ffs

*ChungFu*

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reactions
I like Georgia's Beck. Probably no chance of getting him in 2025 if he returns for his Senior year. If declared for the 2024 Draft, I'd like to see him considered on the list of priority options for the Patriots. The hype machine hasn't been started up yet for this kid but when it does it may get almost as ridiculous as the Williams' hype.

JerseyShore99

Reactions
My favorites are Nix and Sanders for R1

PaulThePat

Reactions
I like Georgia's Beck.
Haven't watched him much as Bulldogs games are usually dull blowouts, but my only concern would be that Georgia are such a dominant team that the QB is bound to look kinda good. Stetson Bennet looked the real deal but in reality he was a multi-year backup who made a good job of driving the Bulldog bus. The SEC title game against Alabama should tell us more about Carson.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Does anyone have any thoughts about the Oregon State QB, Uglelei (or something like that). He was under heavy pressure, made some good throws, strong arm, good size, can run. Started at Clemson as a freshman after Lawrence. If you are looking for a low round flyer, he might be a good candidate.

JerseyShore99

Reactions
Does anyone have any thoughts about the Oregon State QB, Uglelei (or something like that). He was under heavy pressure, made some good throws, strong arm, good size, can run. Started at Clemson as a freshman after Lawrence. If you are looking for a low round flyer, he might be a good candidate.
He's been solid

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
I like Georgia's Beck. Probably no chance of getting him in 2025 if he returns for his Senior year. If declared for the 2024 Draft, I'd like to see him considered on the list of priority options for the Patriots. The hype machine hasn't been started up yet for this kid but when it does it may get almost as ridiculous as the Williams' hype.
If we're already talking 2025, Drew Allar of Penn State should be the #1 guy taken

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick