PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

Another exercise you can do is see where Welker and Edelman's salaries ranked at the time they signed.

If Bill wouldn't sign Welker who was an All Pro/Pro Bowl player to $6M per year and signed Edelman to as high as $7M per year, why the fuk would Bill sign Meyers to double that in FA?

Oh yeah...he signed Agholor to $11M per year. Don't make the same mistake Bill.

Last edited:
My concern with Meyers is he seems to struggle running rub routes which is the bread and butter of a slot receiver (or even the Z receiver) in O'Brien's offense. Even when McDaniels was here, it was the worst part of Meyers' game and he could too easily end up picking himself or another receiver rather than the defender because he was too easily rerouted by defenders.

Meyers definitely has value, but it depends on how O'Brien needs a receiver like him on whether it is worth bringing him back. He definitely lacks what Edelman, Welker, and Amedola had in the rub route category.

Another exercise you can do is see where Welker and Edelman's salaries ranked at the time they signed.

If Bill wouldn't sign Welker who was an All Pro/Pro Bowl player to $6M per year and signed Edelman to as high as $7M per year, why the fuk would Bill sign Meyers to double that in FA?

Oh yeah...he signed Agholor to $11M per year. Don't make the same mistake Bill.
You're discounting how much player salaries have gone up mainly as a direct result of the cap exploding. Again, if someone offers Meyers $12.5-15M there's no way Bill matches that. Will any team do that? Who knows. Broncos paid Joe Flacco $18M when Andy swore up and down nobody would pay him more than vet minimum (1st and only time I got him to admit he was wrong).

The real question is how much of a HT discount will Meyers take to remain in NE.

Lol, sorry. I meant to say, BoB see him as a natural slot receiver?
Lol no worries, we'll KB can play every where it seems.. he's the type of player the more he plays the better he is.. he's crafty, good hands and has deceptive speed. He needs to be restored into the offense on a full-time basis.. even when we get a bona-fide number 1..

Unfortunately, Bill wasted the 188th pick in the 2021 draft on him... I wouldn't object as much to him if he were indeed a UDFA, though that still wouldn't make him an NFL player on a team with PO aspirations.
I see, I don't know why I thought he was undrafted. I think I saw him play alot in the pre season.. however I didn't pay much attention to whether he was making plays or not. However he's going to have another chance this offseason.. if joeuan Williams can hang around then he has a shot!!

There will be starting-caliber FSs on the market soon who will sign for less than what McCourty made this past season.

Safeties & RBs are the most plentiful fish in the ocean.

If the Flapper had any Real decency, he like Bergeron & Krejci did would sign some type of Super team-friendly deal to alleviate that ****ing INSANE $9.7M dead cap charge for next season.

THIRTY-****ING-TWO MILLION DOLLARS over the last 3 years...

We may already have the solution on the roster. Mills was signed to play at safety, he was very solid at safety when he played at Philadelphia.. this goes back to the CB depth, if we can obtain a game changer at CB then mills could slide into the McCourty role.. he's a solid corner but he's better suited at safety..

Is Bourne seen as a natural slot receiver?
I don't think Bourne is,, but he can play anywhere if necessary. The guy I see as a natural slot receiver is Marcus Jones.

At 5'8", he'll always be very limited at CB, particularly as more big WRs come into the league. As a twitch ankle-breaker, getting him the ball in space is a nightmare for the opposing defense.

I know he has only limited experience there, but I'd love to at least see if this is his future - I think it very well might be.

It would solve a huge problem for the Pats. WRs that can move like Marcus Jones are worth a lot more than undersized CBs.

I don't think Bourne is,, but he can play anywhere if necessary. The guy I see as a natural slot receiver is Marcus Jones.

At 5'8", he'll always be very limited at CB, particularly as more big WRs come into the league. As a twitch ankle-breaker, getting him the ball in space is a nightmare for the opposing defense.

I know he has only limited experience there, but I'd love to at least see if this is his future - I think it very well might be.

It would solve a huge problem for the Pats. WRs that can move like Marcus Jones are worth a lot more than undersized CBs.
I truly hope Jones can be used more on offense and of course special teams this season. His speed is elite, he'd be a great slot option.. his speed would have to be accounted for.. it just feels like we will have a much better offense this season.. I'm thinking top 10 offense

I truly hope Jones can be used more on offense and of course special teams this season. His speed is elite, he'd be a great slot option.. his speed would have to be accounted for.. it just feels like we will have a much better offense this season.. I'm thinking top 10 offense
With Teapot at OC and Marcus at slot, I'm thinking top 3 offense. We'd be unstoppable.

Outrageous money or outrageous to the Bengals who are notoriously cheap? Either way, Higgins is going to want #1 money and it is doubtful the Bengals will pay him that as their #2 WR.

Burrow legitimately has 3# 1 WRs I love everything about Higgins game.. If he's asking for outrageous money I doubt we trade for him... I see more of either Hopkins, juedy here.

That may depend on how much control Kraft has taken away from Belichick and whether Belichick thinks he is on the hotseat or not. The Pats could go against the grain this off-season.

Outrageous money or outrageous to the Bengals who are notoriously cheap? Either way, Higgins is going to want #1 money and it is doubtful the Bengals will pay him that as their #2 WR.
It’s the same agent that got Watson and Ramsey traded to get paid, Michael Thomas and Derwin James paid via holdout/“hold in,” and had Earl Thomas hold out until 4 days before the 2018 opener. There’s a decent chance that it does actually mean outrageous in general.

For $10m+ I would rather have Parris Campbell. He makes plays and you have to lay off and plan for him. With TT and him, we’d have two WRs who might be able to stress the defense.

Bourne can do the Meyers role well enough. Mac likes him and he has HH. Plus they have Parker. That is enough possession receivers.
I looked at Campbell's numbers. What are you seeing. He's not very productive compared to Meyers.

9.9 yds per catch this year???

It’s the same agent that got Watson and Ramsey traded to get paid, Michael Thomas and Derwin James paid via holdout/“hold in,” and had Earl Thomas hold out until 4 days before the 2018 opener. There’s a decent chance that it does actually mean outrageous in general.

It is probablly outrageous in general with one caveat. He might be looking for good, but not top of the market #1 WR money. For a team like Cincy, that would be outrageous because he is their #2 WR. For a team like the Patriots who do not have a #1 WR, it may be more reasonable of expectations.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back