PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

There was No buzz around him before the draft... I had to look up his name after I heard it being called... Dude's a Nobody.
Yeah he's an undrafted player I think?Curran and perry during 2022 camp were saying he was a camp stand out he got hurt and ending up making the roster on IR. So in theory your right he's not a known commodity..

I'm not so sure, I'd really like to see a true deep free safety. Those guys are excellent in their roles, but none of them are rangey, cover guys.
McCourty was really the last type of True deep free safeties.. these days the safeties play all over the place up at the line, on TEs , covering intermediate, deep u name it.. however your right we need that ball hall QB of the defense type of safety.. I'll say this.. acquiring a True man covered lock down corner would make our safeties job a heck of alot easier!

Rodney said he was able to play his style becuase of ty law when he came to NE

McCourty was really the last type of True deep free safeties.. these days the safeties play all over the place up at the line, on TEs , covering intermediate, deep u name it.. however your right we need that ball hall QB of the defense type of safety.. I'll say this.. acquiring a True man covered lock down corner would make our safeties job a heck of alot easier!

Rodney said he was able to play his style becuase of ty law when he came to NE
It makes sense to me to have a traditional FS… SS lines up on strong side and can press closer to line and cover TE and help in run game… FS helps in coverage…you want someone who can cover ground with good ball instincts. I’m just not convinced Phillips or Duggar fit that role.

Kirk is way better and more consistent sorry...Meyers is not worth $15 Mill BB the GM will not give him that.
We had a previous discussion about whether Gabe Davis is much much better than Jakobi Meyers, as you put it.

Here are the Buffalo Bills radio guys talking about Gabe Davis and Jakobi Meyers from the 6 minute mark:

Essentially, they say don't sign Davis, contract expiring this year, Gabe only knows 2 routes, does not grab contested balls, drops a lot of balls, will only thrive in a lesser role on the team, not a #2 receiver, and that the Bills need to sign a FA for that #2 spot. They mention Smith-Schuster and Jakobi but they highlight the fact the Bills need a route runner who gets open like Meyers.

Just a view from around the league as to why teams would prefer to pay Jakobi over a guy like Gabe Davis.

I agree with the Bills analysts on this.

Patriots will be making a big mistake if they refuse to pay Jakobi $11m-$13m, because they are not going to replace him.

We had a previous discussion about whether Gabe Davis is much much better than Jakobi Meyers, as you put it.

Here are the Buffalo Bills radio guys talking about Gabe Davis and Jakobi Meyers from the 6 minute mark:

Essentially, they say don't sign Davis, contract expiring this year, Gabe only knows 2 routes, does not grab contested balls, drops a lot of balls, will only thrive in a lesser role on the team, not a #2 receiver, and that the Bills need to sign a FA for that #2 spot. They mention Smith-Schuster and Jakobi but they highlight the fact the Bills need a route runner who gets open like Meyers.

Just a view from around the league as to why teams would prefer to pay Jakobi over a guy like Gabe Davis.

I agree with the Bills analysts on this.

Patriots will be making a big mistake if they refuse to pay Jakobi $11m-$13m, because they are not going to replace him.
It’s a tough one he can run every route is reliable.
However he’s not a guy who is going to blow the top off the defense and he’s not a guy who will take a number 1 to shut him down.

To me his max value is 10 mill a season.

What receiver could replace his production and reliability in the offense?

That is the multi million dollar question.

I think the Raiders are a threat to sign Jacobi, Jonathan, and Damien.

I read a report saying Josh is targeting Patriots players locker room guys and will pay to bring them to Vegas.

On that list I do not want to lose Jonathan Jones the most.

It’s a tough one he can run every route is reliable.
However he’s not a guy who is going to blow the top off the defense and he’s not a guy who will take a number 1 to shut him down.

To me his max value is 10 mill a season.

What receiver could replace his production and reliability in the offense?

That is the multi million dollar question.

I think the Raiders are a threat to sign Jacobi, Jonathan, and Damien.

I read a report saying Josh is targeting Patriots players locker room guys and will pay to bring them to Vegas.

On that list I do not want to lose Jonathan Jones the most.
Agreed. I think Harris will be most retainable of the bunch...

Meyers is a weird one. He definitely hit FA market at right time. $10m seems about right. If he gets more, take the comp pick and move on.

Agreed. I think Harris will be most retainable of the bunch...

Meyers is a weird one. He definitely hit FA market at right time. $10m seems about right. If he gets more, take the comp pick and move on.
I don't understand this. The cap has gone up 23% since we gave Agholour $11M apy. Meyers has been way better than Agholour and he's improved every season. Based on cap increase alone, you're looking at $13.5M. Someone else used the Kirk contract as a comparable w/ Meyers. I think that's about right from a player comparison and Kirk got $18M apy. I don't see anyone offering Meyers that amount of money, but $13-15M/yr isn't unreasonable. Will he give the team a $3-5M home town discount? Idk but if he does, he's an idiot.

I don't understand this. The cap has gone up 23% since we gave Agholour $11M apy. Meyers has been way better than Agholour and he's improved every season. Based on cap increase alone, you're looking at $13.5M. Someone else used the Kirk contract as a comparable w/ Meyers. I think that's about right from a player comparison and Kirk got $18M apy. I don't see anyone offering Meyers that amount of money, but $13-15M/yr isn't unreasonable. Will he give the team a $3-5M home town discount? Idk but if he does, he's an idiot.
I think we have to look at Meyer's value in the BoB offense, where your slot receiver is so important. I think they make a stronger effort at resigning him than Jon Jones, where you have two young CBs in their second year and someone like Mills as the third. The Pats are great at finding FA CBs and draft gems. They are not good at finding WRs.

The question Bill will ask himself is whether he can find another guy that can do what Meyers does? The answer is yes, so he will let him walk if he wants more than what price he had in mind for him. In fact, Bourne was more effective than him in 2021 and he was the guy many analysts wanted to take over for Meyers before the 2022 season.

The other question teams should ask themselves is if the Pats aren't rushing to sign him, who have pedestrian WR's, why should we?

The question Bill will ask himself is whether he can find another guy that can do what Meyers does? The answer is yes, so he will let him walk if he wants more than what price he had in mind for him. In fact, Bourne was more effective than him in 2021 and he was the guy many analysts wanted to take over for Meyers before the 2022 season.

The other question teams should ask themselves is if the Pats aren't rushing to sign him, who have pedestrian WR's, why should we?
I think we've seen that the league in general view the Patriots players, especially on offense, a product of their system and discount their value. It's not like the Patriots had a bunch of All Pro/ HOF elite talent on that side of the ball hitting FAcy. Welker didn't get a blockbuster contract from the Broncos. Jules ended up staying. Same w/ Sweet feet. Gronk retired and went to Bucs on a reasonable contract. Hell, even Brady only got $25M when QBs were making >$35M.

It's been a bit different on the D side, probably because of Belichick's aura.

In the end, the market will set his price, obviously, but there isn't a deep pool of WR free agents and there are several teams that have this need. I'm really curious how it pans out for Meyers.

Is Bourne seen as a natural slot receiver?

It makes sense to me to have a traditional FS… SS lines up on strong side and can press closer to line and cover TE and help in run game… FS helps in coverage…you want someone who can cover ground with good ball instincts. I’m just not convinced Phillips or Duggar fit that role.
I've said that during the season that of the 2 Phillips is more of a coverage safety than Dugger, however neither one of them are great coverage guys not thier strength. If you look at when we have had elite CBs law, Talib, Gilmore Revis.

The safeties played more traditional roles.. with revis and Gilmore McCourty stayed deep 20-25 yards of the line of scrimmage.. Chung was up around the line or jamming a TE..

That lock down corner was always the DNA of our defense that showed up when we played premier offenses last season.

Who do you see that can come in and fulfill that McCourty role?

To be blunt, his 22 reps on Defense and 7 of Special Team don't really make him a strong candidate to replace TOP STARTER McCourty.

We have a serious NEED at safety. Re-signing Peppers is only part of the solution.

There will be starting-caliber FSs on the market soon who will sign for less than what McCourty made this past season.

Safeties & RBs are the most plentiful fish in the ocean.

If the Flapper had any Real decency, he like Bergeron & Krejci did would sign some type of Super team-friendly deal to alleviate that ****ing INSANE $9.7M dead cap charge for next season.

THIRTY-****ING-TWO MILLION DOLLARS over the last 3 years...

Last edited:
THIRTY-****ING-TWO MILLION DOLLARS over the last 3 years...

Is that a lot?

Yeah he's an undrafted player I think? Curran and Perry during 2022 camp were saying he was a camp stand out he got hurt and ending up making the roster on IR. So in theory your right he's not a known commodity..

Unfortunately, Bill wasted the 188th pick in the 2021 draft on him... I wouldn't object as much to him if he were indeed a UDFA, though that still wouldn't make him an NFL player on a team with PO aspirations.

agreed

For $10m+ I would rather have Parris Campbell. He makes plays and you have to lay off and plan for him. With TT and him, we’d have two WRs who might be able to stress the defense.

Bourne can do the Meyers role well enough. Mac likes him and he has HH. Plus they have Parker. That is enough possession receivers.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back