PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amendola was the only player I could think of in the last number of years who was asked to take a cut. Can you think of any others?
Dwayne Allen in 2018 and Rex Burkhead in 2020.

I agree with this, and I think it is one of the reasons players say they like to play for him. I am not sure that @robertweathers (who I almost always agree with) is taking this into consideration enough. I agree with RW, but think BB's "honor" will outweigh Cannon's salary value and BB will give Cannon a shot to retain his RT spot, possibly at lower dollars. BB does ask players to take pay cuts based on value (Amendola).

BB's negotiations might be tough, but he does not throw the player out on his back like Miami is doing to Van Noy. But Van Noy made $15M in one year, he never would have made that anywhere else, so maybe it is better to take the money if you can get it, and deal with being released when it happens. I am guessing that Van Noy can come back to NE for the same deal offered in 2020, and he banked $15M in addition to the NE deal. Smart business deal even if it hurts Van Noy's ego a bit.
BB did Cannon a solid two years ago. He was scheduled to collect a $5.5MM salary and up to $500K in per-game roster bonuses in 2019. He helped them reduce the cap hit by $2.5m but in turn he took a $1MM base salary, a $3.5MM signing bonus, and up to $1.5MM in per-game roster bonuses. It was a win-win. Not a cut and not a raise although it was more up-front money in his pocket. BB was ok doing this because he was performing.

The difference this time is Cannon is 2 years older, his play was not good in 2019 and he hasn't played in a year. If he had a good 2020 I'd be singing a different tune.

BB did Cannon a solid two years ago. He was scheduled to collect a $5.5MM salary and up to $500K in per-game roster bonuses in 2019. He helped them reduce the cap hit by $2.5m but in turn he took a $1MM base salary, a $3.5MM signing bonus, and up to $1.5MM in per-game roster bonuses. It was a win-win. Not a cut and not a raise although it was more up-front money in his pocket. BB was ok doing this because he was performing.

The difference this time is Cannon is 2 years older, his play was not good in 2019 and he hasn't played in a year. If he had a good 2020 I'd be singing a different tune.

So you do not think Cannon is in camp competing for a spot? If that is your position, then we disagree and could wager a beer on it? :p

Not directly FA related, but since we are talking OL. What about Cajuste taking over that LG spot this coming season.
Honestly, he seems like a better candidate than Onwenu who would be better at RT.

So you do not think Cannon is in camp competing for a spot? If that is your position, then we disagree and could wager a beer on it?

I think BB goes (if he hasn't gone to him already) to Cannon and basically tells him hes not the same player he was and his only chance to make the team is to take a cut in pay. BB says he has a chance to make somewhere close to the $7m but only thru incentives (games, snaps, etc). If he doesn't agree he is released and the $1.4m roster bonus he would otherwise receive goes bye-bye.

Cannon tells him to fly a kite and he is released. He chooses to roll the dice in FA.

Last edited:
Not directly FA related, but since we are talking OL. What about Cajuste taking over that LG spot this coming season.

Who knows. If he can stay off crutches i'll be a win.
Honestly, he seems like a better candidate than Onwenu who would be better at RT.
Onwenu is why the NEP have major leverage on Cannon.

Who knows. If he can stay off crutches i'll be a win.

Onwenu is why the NEP have major leverage on Cannon.
Yup, it really easy to sign to have Onwenu play RT and only have to sign a LG and an OC.

I think BB goes (if he hasn't gone to him already) to Cannon and basically tells him hes not the same player he was and his only chance to make the team is to take a cut in pay. BB says he has a chance to make somewhere close to the $7m but only thru incentives (games, snaps, etc). If he doesn't agree he is released and the $1.4m roster bonus he would otherwise receive goes bye-bye.

Cannon tells him to fly a kite and he is released. He chooses to roll the dice in FA.

A man that makes a detailed, reasoned prediction. Wish we had more of that.

Cajuste seems like a better candidate to end up on permanent IR like Garcia. Another
injured player drafted by Belichick.

I wouldn’t rule out Cajuste at LT and Wynn at LG, either. Really, it’s hard to rule anything out after the Denver game when the projected 2021 starting tackles were the two starting guards.

A man that makes a detailed, reasoned prediction. Wish we had more of that.
....and i'm sure BB will do the opposite. It's impossible to anticipate what the man will do.

He might slow roll the Cannon decision until after the draft.

Cajuste seems like a better candidate to end up on permanent IR like Garcia. Another
injured player drafted by Belichick.

The Pats let Froholdt go (gave up on him) but kept Cajuste. I am hoping that is because they think he will take a leap this year. His first year he was hurt and did not participate much. Last year there was very little pre-season, so again he missed out on the normal path to win a job. I realize that Onwenu and Herron were playing over Cajuste, so that does not look good. We will see.

Even if Thuney, Andrews & Cannon, all trained under Scarnechia, leave; he can do it again with another group of linemen.

....and i'm sure BB will do the opposite. It's impossible to anticipate what the man will do.

BB is great at avoiding being forced into decisions.
While most teams must show their hand early due to cap struggles, he can wait with every decision for the right time. And thats incl. QB no matter what mediots are selling..

There is no reason, other then the roster bonus, to cut Cannon until the draft unless enough starters are on the team before then, without Cannon.

The roster bonus serves as an option.

How much would a team be paying if he’s traded? Iggles would be eat about 7.7 million in dead money.

which would still clear $4.7mil for philly?

i know i saw eagles sites hoping for a 3rd rounder early in feb......i'm seeing more recent projections in the 4th round range or later.....multiple teams might push that a little, but he's a mid to low mid round i'd think

ertz for stidham? hahaha

what i don't get is why anyone would trade for him? his 2021 hit is over 12mil, and philly HAS to move on from him.....gotta think he can be had in FA for less than a 12 mil cap hit, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back