PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take the latter.

One of the reason I dropped my Red Sox tickets was because of feast-or-famine. They won the WS and were unwatchable right after. Rinse and repeat. As great as that moment was when Koji struck out the last batter, a year later, I couldn't give away tickets.

The Patriots playing into late January is a must for me. I want to see a competitive team, a team with a shot, at least. Last year was borderline unwatchable and they won 7 games.

Baseball is a dying sport in this country. I’d estimate that 80% of MA residents wouldn’t care (or would barely care) if the Sox didn’t play a game this year. The fact that they were terrible last year is only part of it. MLB...league office, players and owners...have refused to make any significant changes to the pace of the game and fan experience.

I used to love going to Fenway but now I find it impossible to sit through a 9 inning game, and I am not nearly as distracted and distractible as adolescents and millennials, many of whom would rather have alone time with their phones (social media or gaming), than sit through a baseball game. MLB is losing an entire generation and is doing very little to try to reverse this trend, opting for minor, incremental changes, when dramatic changes are needed.

Losing Brandon the King (of STs penalties) didn't hurt this team in any way, shape or form.
It did in 2019 when he went down. And you're incorrect about Brandon Kind and Penalties. But stupid crap like that is your modus operandi.

There is a 0.0% chance he is on the 2021 team with that cap charge and salary structure.
Why? If he shows in OTAs and in Mini-Camp that the year off has helped him return to his 2018 form, he won't be cut or have his contract touched. That cap hit for a starting RT who's not on a rookie contract is more than a bargain.

Why? If he shows in OTAs and in Mini-Camp that the year off has helped him return to his 2018 form, he won't be cut or have his contract touched. That cap hit for a starting RT who's not on a rookie contract is more than a bargain.
If he's playing well it's a good deal. If he looks like he did the last year he played it's a really bad deal. IMO - they'll restructure him to let him still achieve that salary through incentives, but cut the cap charge down. If he doesn't want to take that deal, he'll get cut, I think.

Agree. If something bigger comes along and you need more cap space, then I’m fine with that. But why not see if he can provide anything? Just my opinion. Saying that I’m sure BB just sent the “Can I see you in my office...bring your playbook” text

If he's playing well it's a good deal. If he looks like he did the last year he played it's a really bad deal. IMO - they'll restructure him to let him still achieve that salary through incentives, but cut the cap charge down. If he doesn't want to take that deal, he'll get cut, I think.

The last year he played, he spent the entire year playing through injuries. Both he and Mason did.

Don't agree.

He was not great in 2019.

He is 33 years old.

I don't see him as a bargain.

Don't agree.

He was not great in 2019.

He is 33 years old.

I don't see him as a bargain.
The charge for his 2020 services is about $7M. Presuming that Onwenu is playing LG, you would need to find a starting RT to equal Cannon for $7M. Maybe this can happen, maybe not.

I have to believe Belichick has a plan.
It’s more than likely Mitch or Marcus with also trading up for their guy.
I think they are going to try to go for broke and go for Wilson.
why do you think Belichick has a plan at QB? The last 2 years have shown that he doesnt

There is a 0.0% chance he is on the 2021 team with that cap charge and salary structure.
What makes you say that? With those same numbers, Cannon was still on the roster just before camp last season when the Pats sure could have used the cap space he was taking.

If Thuney is gone as we suspect, the probability is better than 50% that Cannon will be the Pats starting RT next season and $7 million is not too much to pay a good RT.

I criticize Bill often, but he’s probably as honorable as any NFL exec in letting players earn their full contracts, and he doesn’t ask them to take pay cuts unless the need for cap space demands it. Bill’s going to give Cannon a shot to earn his job and his $7 million I believe.

who needs qb’s ahead of the patriots:

jacksonville
Jets
Atlanta
Carlolina

Are you thinking Washington will trade up to get ahead of us?
Cousin,
The good Lord gave us a nice Sunday. I started with my usual Sunday baked Finnish pancake smothered in blueberries. maple syrup, a couple of sausage links, orange juice and a mug of coffee with hazelnut that I am still working on.

I am thinking Niners, Steelers, Saints and Broncos might dabble in the QB Draft as well. Broncos are in front but the others could trade up.
Most aggressive to get a QB? Carolina
Least aggressive? Patriots........listened to Pioli the other day. He was justifying that the Patriots always use "patience"....Sure that was fine when you had Brady and were a sure thing to get into the playoffs every year. They could afford to be arrogant.

Patience in this years FA market will lose you decent player pieces because those with CAP room in this covid reduced Salary Cap of $180mm, are going to be early bird signings. So if the Pats sit on their ass and use "patience" as their mantra, they will be just another also-ran. Stepping up to the plate early to get Gilmore worked fine, thank you.

We do not Draft well. The stats prove we are mid pack only. Like many posters I beseech the Patriots to Draft this guy and that. Well pure fact is that us as posters, would have had better Drafts than Monte and Nick C. came up with the last few years. First rounders? Harry, Michele and Wynn......That is our first round total the last three years. None have even played a full season.

So if someone says......"I wouldn't pay three Firsts for Watson!"....I say balderdash.

2016 (no First Rounder)...Our top pick was......ready for it? 2nd Round Cyrus Jones! Just to piss you off we could have had DE Yannick Ngakoue 9 picks later!
2017 (no First Rounder)....Our top pick was.....yikes! 3rd Round Derek Rivers. FYI the next pick was WR Chris Godwin!!!!!! Dog poop you say..........
2018 (Two Firsts)...our picks were Isaiah Wynn and Sony Michel who are a crap shoot every week on health and in the line up.
2019 (First Rounder)...WR Mr. N'Keal Harry.....4 picks later we could have had Deebo Samuel
2020 (no First Rounder)......

So let us asses the Patriots Draft of First Round talent the last five years:
Wynn, Michel and Harry......would you trade these three and even throw in Rivers and Cyrus Jones for Watson????

Cousins, would you struggle giving up three first rounders for Watson?

DW Toys

The charge for his 2020 services is about $7M. Presuming that Onwenu is playing LG, you would need to find a starting RT to equal Cannon for $7M. Maybe this can happen, maybe not.
Exactly.

I just don't think Cannon is reliable enough anymore to warrant the salary and cap charge.

Projected to be by who? That’s just a phony number.

you absolutely delight in criticizing belichick , you do it every chance you can get. The difference is you criticize a guy doing his job better than anyone ever has in history, which as a fan you were beneficiary of yet have no appreciation for.

Wait so you are blaming newton sucking on belichick now because he forced him to play?
Wow. Who hurt you?
Please do humankind a favor and have your brain donated to science once you no longer have need of it.

What makes you say that? With those same numbers, Cannon was still on the roster just before camp last season when the Pats sure could have used the cap space he was taking.

If Thuney is gone as we suspect, the probability is better than 50% that Cannon will be the Pats starting RT next season and $7 million is not too much to pay a good RT.

I criticize Bill often, but he’s probably as honorable as any NFL exec in letting players earn their full contracts, and he doesn’t ask them to take pay cuts unless the need for cap space demands it. Bill’s going to give Cannon a shot to earn his job and his $7 million I believe.
I think Cannon is close to being done.

Bill has asked many players to take cuts if their performance is not commensurate with their contract- See Amendola.

At the very least a half dozen teams are looking at quarterbacks... the falcons might pass this year because they still have Matt Ryan, but the team has been non committal to him...
  • Jaguars
  • Jets
  • Falcons
  • Panthers
  • Eagles
  • Broncos

Niners may draft someone as well. they have #12 pick. Some mock drafts have the Eagles and Falcons taking QB's

But, whether these teams actually do that when the draft comes, who knows. Its very unusual that the top 5-6 QB's all go in the top 10-14

It makes zero sense to move Onwenu to LG and try to find another guy to play RT for big money. Keep Onwenu at RT and try to plug the interior spots if Thuney and Cannon leave.

Also whether by FA or trade we need to get a starting TE, DE, DT, LB, S, and interior OLine.

I would trade Sony Michel for maybe a TE or OLineman. Roll with Harris as the starting RB.

It makes zero sense to move Onwenu to LG and try to find another guy to play RT for big money. Keep Onwenu at RT and try to plug the interior spots if Thuney and Cannon leave.

Also whether by FA or trade we need to get a starting TE, DE, DT, LB, S, and interior OLine.

I would trade Sony Michel for maybe a TE or OLineman. Roll with Harris as the starting RB.
We need all the backs we can have, White is all but a Buc, or Packer

Trade Sony? What do you think you're going to get for a RB in his last year, with a major 5th year option payout after that?

If Cannon is back, we have a RT.

I agree with this, and I think it is one of the reasons players say they like to play for him. I am not sure that @robertweathers (who I almost always agree with) is taking this into consideration enough. I agree with RW, but think BB's "honor" will outweigh Cannon's salary value and BB will give Cannon a shot to retain his RT spot, possibly at lower dollars. BB does ask players to take pay cuts based on value (Amendola).

BB's negotiations might be tough, but he does not throw the player out on his back like Miami is doing to Van Noy. But Van Noy made $15M in one year, he never would have made that anywhere else, so maybe it is better to take the money if you can get it, and deal with being released when it happens. I am guessing that Van Noy can come back to NE for the same deal offered in 2020, and he banked $15M in addition to the NE deal. Smart business deal even if it hurts Van Noy's ego a bit.

I think Cannon is close to being done.

Bill has asked many players to take cuts if their performance is not commensurate with their contract- See Amendola.
We’re all close to being done. I disagree about Cannon. I’m thinking if he survives the start of the new league year he’s going to have a chance to compete for the RT job and earn his $7 million.

Amendola was the only player I could think of in the last number of years who was asked to take a cut. Can you think of any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back