PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people too often conflate leadership (which relates to just locker room chemistry and work ethic) and being able to elevate other players (which is a combination of leadership and actual on field ability). It's similar to a guy like Jordan Richards likely knowing exactly where he needs to be on a given play (being a smart player) but not having the athleticism to actually get there.

Do you think Brady's gotten any less praise for his leadership from Tampa, including from the coach, than Cam has from New England?

Cam's basically benefiting from two concepts:

1. "Don't hit the girl"
  2. "Familiarity breeds contempt/complacency"

And even if he turned out better, BB was probably expecting that by the time the playoffs rolled around, Harry would have more than 7 games and wouldn't be the 2nd "best" WR option on the team. If Harry was lining up with a healthier Edelman (on account of not having to be the focal point of the offense), Gordon and Brown on the outsides, and White in the backfield, you're talking he's matching up against the other teams 4th CB at worst. Not saying he suddenly becomes a good player, for a rookie it can simplify his game quite a bit. Like you said, a lot went wrong that year, and it all snowballed.

I saw Harry move at least partly as response to compensate loss of Gronk and insecurity about JG. Big target, RZ, strong blocker. Maybe after Hockinson and Fant went early thats who they decided to go with. I understand they were a bit tight on cap and couldn't do a lot to address this position in FA, But 1st round WR just has to have better overall game..

Kinda feels like there's just a standstill waiting for a Watson deal. NE is waiting for SF to want to deal Garoppolo. SF is waiting for either 1) Houston to accept their offer for Watson, or B) Carolina to pay up for Watson, at which time SF will deal for Bridgewater and then deal Garoppolo to NE. If Watson goes somewhere like NYJ or Miami, maybe SF just keeps Garoppolo and Carolina keeps Bridgewater. Or perhaps both will look to trade their QBs to obtain draft capital in order to move up to draft a QB ahead of one another. Lots of moving pieces and Watson feels like the catalyst.

I’m sure no one did since the cap actually didn’t go down 40 mill.
But by all means continue to be the shining beacon that attacks anything positive spoken about the man who led the team you root for to 9 Sbs and won 6. Anyone who dare say positive things about the bastard be damned. Pitchforks at the ready. Hang him in effigy. You are so much better a person than someone who should have to endure the indignity of rooting for a team that had a 7-9 season.
It sure did. It was projected to be north of $220 million but now will be around $180 million. That’s $40 million Mr. 6.

Im just trying to keep the universe in balance by countering all the fawning you do. You talk about him like he’s your wife of 20 years and mother of your 6 children. I just choose to look at Belichick like he looked at Debbie. Thanks for my two coaches and Amanda but away with you because I found this blonde.

He’s also the man who gave you a full season of Cam Newton, and who knows might just repeat the fun. It’s strange that you “despise” Newton but not the walking ego who foisted him on you after driving off Brady.

Hero worship from a grown man is a very sad thing.

It sure did. It was projected to be north of $220 million but now will be around $180 million. That’s $40 million Mr. 6.

Im just trying to keep the universe in balance by countering all the fawning you do. You talk about him like he’s your wife of 20 years and mother of your 6 children. I just choose to look at Belichick like he looked at Debbie. Thanks for my two coaches and Amanda but away with you because I found this blonde.

He’s also the man who gave you a full season of Cam Newton, and who knows might just repeat the fun. It’s strange that you “despise” Newton but not the walking ego who foisted him on you after driving off Brady.

Hero worship from a grown man is a very sad thing.
It was 198.2 mill in 2020 and 180.5 in 2021. That’s 17.7 not 40 mill.

See this is the difference between us. I appreciate the man who delivered more success than a fan had a right to expect and you not only trash him but project the failure that is your life on me, because I have my head on straight and respect excellence.
You on the other hand, cry yourself to sleep thinking of other people you can trash to feel better about yourself.

Kinda feels like there's just a standstill waiting for a Watson deal. NE is waiting for SF to want to deal Garoppolo. SF is waiting for either 1) Houston to accept their offer for Watson, or B) Carolina to pay up for Watson, at which time SF will deal for Bridgewater and then deal Garoppolo to NE. If Watson goes somewhere like NYJ or Miami, maybe SF just keeps Garoppolo and Carolina keeps Bridgewater. Or perhaps both will look to trade their QBs to obtain draft capital in order to move up to draft a QB ahead of one another. Lots of moving pieces and Watson feels like the catalyst.
Watson isn’t going anywhere.
Houston has absolutely nothing to lose by refusing to cave in

Houston holds the key to this offseason,

Watson wants out, other teams know it.

Jets and dolphins not offering enough for Watson as they think they have leverage over caserio.

who blinks first? If either the Jets or dolphins steps up - the first of many dominos falls.

Houston holds the key to this offseason,

Watson wants out, other teams know it.

Jets and dolphins not offering enough for Watson as they think they have leverage over caserio.

who blinks first? If either the Jets or dolphins steps up - the first of many dominos falls.
Watson blinks first.

If Houston keeps Watson, and I agree they should.

then free agency and the draft are how teams get qb’s.

this becomes a game of musical chairs.

and I am ok if we walk away with trubisky and mills.

If Houston keeps Watson, and I agree they should.

then free agency and the draft are how teams get qb’s.

this becomes a game of musical chairs.

and I am ok if we walk away with trubisky and mills.
I would like Mariota (or Jimmy g) and Jones

I would like Mariota (or Jimmy g) and Jones

i agree! Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

next week there is going to be a ton of blood letting that may change all the current dynamics!

See this is the difference between us. I appreciate the man who delivered more success than a fan had a right to expect and you not only trash him but project the failure that is your life on me, because I have my head on straight and respect excellence.
You on the other hand, cry yourself to sleep thinking of other people you can trash to feel better about yourself.
Are you intentionally missing his point? His point was that this years cap is 40 million less than what teams were projecting it would be this year when a lot of the cap busting contracts were signed a few years ago or at least those signed pre-COVID. I think the 40 million is is likely less than projected is a little high and the number is more like 30-35 million. But again no one expected the cap to go down in 2021 and teams based salary decisions on what they expected the cap to be just as they have for years.

But, it was projected to be $220 million in 2021. You’re too old to blame new math for the disconnect.

I sleep real well, and I take no delight in tearing anyone down. I also take no delight in adult fanboys praising every action of your hero while blaming everything and everyone else for the what doesn’t go right. How can you “despise” Cam Newton for not being able to play because his right shoulder is spent but praise to the hills the man who had to play him because, by his own making, he had no one else to play? Hope you sleep well tonight; I will.

But, it was projected to be $220 million in 2021. You’re too old to blame new math for the disconnect.

I sleep real well, and I take no delight in tearing anyone down. I also take no delight in adult fanboys praising every action of your hero while blaming everything and everyone else for the what doesn’t go right. How can you “despise” Cam Newton for not being able to play because his right shoulder is spent but praise to the hills the man who had to play him because, by his own making, he had no one else to play? Hope you sleep well tonight; I will.
Projected to be by who? That’s just a phony number.

you absolutely delight in criticizing belichick , you do it every chance you can get. The difference is you criticize a guy doing his job better than anyone ever has in history, which as a fan you were beneficiary of yet have no appreciation for.

Wait so you are blaming newton sucking on belichick now because he forced him to play?
Wow. Who hurt you?

Are you intentionally missing his point? His point was that this years cap is 40 million less than what teams were projecting it would be this year when a lot of the cap busting contracts were signed a few years ago or at least those signed pre-COVID. I think the 40 million is is likely less than projected is a little high and the number is more like 30-35 million. But again no one expected the cap to go down in 2021 and teams based salary decisions on what they expected the cap to be just as they have for years.
40 million is a phony number. Might as well argue they thought it would be 300 mill.
The discussion was the saints screwed up and put themselves in cap hell while the patriots did not and still won more. They did whether the cap increased a little or decreased. Using covid to scapegoat their poor decisions is a dishonest argument.

Do you think Brady's gotten any less praise for his leadership from Tampa, including from the coach, than Cam has from New England?

Cam's basically benefiting from two concepts:

1. "Don't hit the girl"
  2. "Familiarity breeds contempt/complacency"

I wasn't trying to compare Newton to Brady. I was just saying that someone can be a great leader, without it translating to results on the field. I was agreeing with you that his leadership was overrated because it didn't make a tangible difference.

I would always support going for a SB. I would take one Sb and 9 2 win seasons over anything else that doesn’t include a SB.
But you don’t have to destroy the future to go all in. The smart thing to do when in cap he’ll is to eat a bunch of dead money in one year. Because next year you get it all back.
It’s not the “all in” that destroys teams it’s the make decisions made to try to hang on afterward.
You seem to equate "going for a Super Bowl" with "winning a Super Bowl".

IMO, the Saints are the example of going all in to try to win a SB. One could argue that this was and is true of Tampa Bay. Most posters here would agree to spend every cap dollar and push lots into the future if we KNEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back