PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Under this reasoning, which is sound, SF should cut him and not pay out $24million dollars this year.
They are 24-9 when he starts, since the trade. They are 7-19 when he doesn't.

Last edited:
2. Did you not see the difference in cap for the Pats, last year to this year? Whether it's Mariota or Jimmy G or Bridgewater, the price tag will be north of $10million, almost certainly, and if SF's paying that for a back-up because they have no faith in their starter (who has very little dead money) then they're too stupid to get back to the big game.
The Patriots could have paid Newton more. They chose not to. So, just assuming that they'd happily pony up more for Bridgewater is only that, an assumption. It has no basis in fact.

3. Here we go with the "bad team" stuff again. The Pats pick after SF this year because the Pats suck, but SF is going places. Well, okay then.
The 49ers lost a crapload of players to injury last season, including their starting QB, arguably the league's best TE, Bosa, Samuel, etc... Many of those players will be back this year. How do the Patriots injury losses + potential returns stack up?

2020 San Francisco 49ers Injuries | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The 49ers lost a crapload of players to injury last season, including their starting QB, arguably the league's best TE, Bosa, Samuel, etc... Many of those players will be back this year. How do the Patriots injury losses + potential returns stack up?

2020 San Francisco 49ers Injuries | Pro-Football-Reference.com
These are excuses you'll only make for other teams and never accept for New England.

Yup, SF had a bad year for injuries. Now do New England and add in the 8 opt-outs as IR (because it was voluntary IR).

The Patriots could have paid Newton more. They chose not to. So, just assuming that they'd happily pony up more for Bridgewater is only that, an assumption. It has no basis in fact.
What's his final take with the in-game, snap-count bonus structures? $6? $7?

The Pats had next to no cap when they signed him. They've supposed been inquiring about every QB that might be available -Stafford, Jimmy G, etc. They're all WAY over $10m.

They are 24-9 when he starts, since the trade. They are 7-19 when he doesn't.
So that means they should invest $10+ on a back-up, which means over $36m at the QB position?

Okay. I wouldn't do it, but okay.

I think pats and niners have a trade in place for Jimmy g. Niners just finding their bridge qb now.

IMO... Niners want to trade up for a QB. Panthers want Watson and need to clear cap space via moving Bridgewater (and wouldn't need him anymore anyway once they get Watson). Niners will take Bridgewater as the bridge (no pun intended) to their drafted QB. Pats want Garoppolo. Everyone gets what they want in a sense.

Only tough part is that Niners need to spend capital for Bridgewater and for a trade up. Maybe 2 firsts and a second including #12 this year in exchange for Bridgewater and #8. May have to go further up from #8 though to get who they want...

Just sign Smith and move up to get one of Lance, Jones or Trask if it looks like a QB heavy top 10-12. Hit FA hard and take advantage of the gluten of talent that should become available to fill gaps and improve areas across the board where they are able.

Compete for the division, I see Buffalo taking a step back especially if we can field a competent QB against them. Get in the playoffs, make some noise. Show the league Foxboro is not zombie land, and then hopefully the kid will be ready for a full go season 2 and game on.

Just sign Smith and move up to get one of Lance, Jones or Trask if it looks like a QB heavy top 10-12. Hit FA hard and take advantage of the gluten of talent that should become available to fill gaps and improve areas across the board where they are able.

Compete for the division, I see Buffalo taking a step back especially if we can field a competent QB against them. Get in the playoffs, make some noise. Show the league Foxboro is not zombie land, and then hopefully the kid will be ready for a full go season 2 and game on.
I’d prefer Mariota over Smith

The niners still waxed us.
Oh, I know. That's why I was laughing when he used the 49ers are his counter. His double down is funny as hell, too.

Just sign Smith and move up to get one of Lance, Jones or Trask if it looks like a QB heavy top 10-12.
I like the idea of signing Smith, if it's accompanied by another one of the "vets", and if it's done because the team is going to grab a young QB who would benefit from a year on the bench. You don't want to count on Smith for a full 17 games, but you might be able to piece 17 games together with a combo of, for example, Smith/Fitzpicksix.

I’d prefer Mariota over Smith
Smith is a winner, albeit mostly regular season. Hopefully the kid is ready sooner but if not Smith can bring you to the playoffs. I don't trust Mariota to play at any solid level. I could be wrong. But would rather a youngin learn from Smith than Mariota. Just my $0.02

What's his final take with the in-game, snap-count bonus structures? $6? $7?
They could have adjusted his deal. You're not even trying to think about this. You're just flailing about, willy-nilly.

So that means they should invest $10+ on a back-up, which means over $36m at the QB position?

Okay. I wouldn't do it, but okay.
It means that they win when he starts. It means that, with a backup who can do a better job, they can stay competitive. And, if you'd read what I'd posted, you'd have seen the part about an extension, real or "fake", lessening the hit.

IMO... Niners want to trade up for a QB. Panthers want Watson and need to clear cap space via moving Bridgewater (and wouldn't need him anymore anyway once they get Watson). Niners will take Bridgewater as the bridge (no pun intended) to their drafted QB. Pats want Garoppolo. Everyone gets what they want in a sense.

Only tough part is that Niners need to spend capital for Bridgewater and for a trade up. Maybe 2 firsts and a second including #12 this year in exchange for Bridgewater and #8. May have to go further up from #8 though to get who they want...
What does Houston get?

They could have adjusted his deal. You're not even trying to think about this. You're just flailing about, willy-nilly.
I'm not flailing, and you really don't need to be an ******* about it.

If you're talking about Newton. Why would they "adjust" his deal after the fact? Unless he was playing way above what they expected, what would be the point?

I'll stay right with my point: Bridgewater's got $10 guaranteed, $17 base salary, 750k/game and 250k workout bonus due this year for a cap hit of $22,900, 000 this year. $5 million was already paid, pro-rated.

Next year, his salary is $20m + bonuses.

So you're going to trade for him from Carolina and somehow massage that into a decent back-up QB cost? I'd love to see your math on that.

I'm not flailing, and you really don't need to be an ******* about it.

If you're talking about Newton. Why would they "adjust" his deal after the fact? Unless he was playing way above what they expected, what would be the point?

I'll stay right with my point: Bridgewater's got $10 guaranteed, $17 base salary, 750k/game and 250k workout bonus due this year for a cap hit of $22,900, 000 this year. $5 million was already paid, pro-rated.

Next year, his salary is $20m + bonuses.

So you're going to trade for him from Carolina and somehow massage that into a decent back-up QB cost? I'd love to see your math on that.
So you obviously didn't read my initial posts attentively, but you complained about them, you are flailing about (your San Francisco take was ridiculous) , and you're calling me names because you don't like that I responded accordingly...

rofl.gif

Enjoy your evening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back