PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin,
Nice leisurely Saturday breakfast of a cheese omelette, crisp bacon and freshly made blueberry buckle breakfast cake with orange juice and coffee.

I think James would be helpful. Right now our TEs have been abysmal. I have another idea I will mention that might kill two birds (needs)with one stone, but I am adding two TEs.

Here is a tip on Cam. When Cam had that MVP year in 2015 he had a top TE in Greg Olsen. who had 77 catches for 1,104 yards, 7 TDs. I am not saying that was the whole reason for minimal pass production from Cam in 2020, but I think it contributed. His 2020 WR were really bad too. Second or third stringers tops and an injured JE.

How many posters think that we could have won say 4 more games with a decent receiving Team, not Tampa's....... but just better? 11-5 gets us into the playoffs.

To be fair, perhaps Stidham even looks better with actual professional receivers.

Do I think Henry comes around? This is year three. Sink or swim. dude.

I am starting to rethink Cam. I think the players and coaches liked him a lot. He had energy. How tough was it in all of major league sports to be the next QB in NE who replaced the GOAT.

Would our posters take Lamar Jackson right now! Here are some interesting stats. Cam and Jackson played the same amount of games. Jackson had only 100 more yards. They both had exactly the same....242 completions. Cam had a better passing percentage 65.8 % vs. 64.4%. The escape master Jackson was sacked 29 times and Cam 31. Jackson had only one less interception than Cam but Cam was way off on TD throws. Jackson averaged 183 yards per game passing and Cam was only 6 behind at 177. Who do you think had more rushing TDs? Jackson had 7 and Cam had 12.

Now let's look at TE numbers:
Ravens Andrews had 58 receptions an 7 TDs.
Our starting TE izzo had 13 catches and 0 TDs.
Njoku who only started 5 games has 19 catches and 2 TDs.
Ertz played in only 11 games. He had 36 receptions an 1 TD in a terrible QB year for the Eagles.
James only played in 7 games in 2020. He had 14 catches and 2 TDs,

The Ravens WR had Snead (33 CATCHES, 3 TD), Marquis Brown (58 CATCHES, 8TD), Duvernay (20 CATCHES)and Boykin (19 CATCHES, 4 TD) plus Andrews (58 CATCHES, 7 TD) at TE. The question I ask is could Cam have had better numbers with that receiving corp which I suggest is no where near Tampa's?

I have mentioned this trade scenario: Njoku and OBJ for Gilmore (the Browns are desperate for a CB.) and a lower pick. Njoku might be a one year rental. OBJ is reasonable for another couple years. I believe you are buying OBJ low now.

Now I am picking up Ertz as well (cut or lower round trade). This is important.

To all our projected QBs be it Mariota, Minshew, Kyle Allen, Fitzpatrick or yes.....Cam. Having two productive TEs and OBJ plus perhaps a Draft pick WR or two, does the Patriots passing game now elevate to at least the Ravens roster? Now spend the $60mm on Defense.

Thoughts?
DW Toys
Brother, oven baked omelette, cheese onions bacon 2 cups of coffee.
I have no problem with cam as long as there’s a viable backup. I think an offseason and training camp with weapons of the ilk you mention he’s fine. I just don’t want the ship to sink without an escape plan. I love OBJ but 16 mil scares me a touch. Would love ertz and njoku if they’re cheap

but yes I’d be fine with 2 of cam/mariota/fitzy and a legitimate prospect

Good to have options if Andrews asks for the farm. From a similar system will likely make far less than his contract he just got released from and wont factor into compensatory formula. Obviously prefer Andrews but I think this release gives us some leverage which is good for the Pats
Do you believe that there are lots of free agents as good as Andrews? How many are there? How many teams are competing for them?

Do you believe that there are lots of free agents as good as Andrews? How many are there? How many teams are competing for them?
I don’t. But there are good centers available via ufa and lots of good draft prospects which will keep Andrew’s price down. That’s my point I guess

2 firsts and 2 seconds OK with you?
Probably costs more but I think I’d do it. Makes us a instant contender and Wilson likely has 5-7 elite to really good seasons left

I don’t. But there are good centers available via ufa and lots of good draft prospects which will keep Andrew’s price down. That’s my point I guess
I don't know how many teams are looking, and who will be available. Many now listed will be re-signed by their own teams before free agency.
Perhaps the market will make the cost for Andrews less than some think.

Yes Cousin, As mentioned, Njoku is a one year rental and OBJ is a risk that I would suspect the Patriots to vet. If he is healthy, his cost compared to what a Godwin, Golladay, Schuster, Hilton, Robinson or even an A.J. Green would cost makes him reasonable. Is that a fair statement? OBJ has two more years.

Gilmore will probably cost almost $20 to resign in 2022 so he is a one year rental as well.

DW Toys

Gilmore is up there in age already. There’s a guy out there in free agency this year who doesn’t look like his former self and he’s 31. That’s Patrick Peterson. Interesting to see what he gets out there in the market.

At this point I'm not even thinking about offers. I'm concerned about him making the team. Takes a while before the knee can perform and at 31 that's two strikes against him.

No reason not to give him a one year deal with a roster bonus and some reasonable workout bonus and find out.

If you were talking about him actually making the team in September then I misunderstood. I agree that's written in the stars and how well he recovers.

Burkhead or White or a pass-catching free agent.

I'm fine with Johnson
Most will disagree but I think Sony Michel will play a role like Woodhead did. 2010 Woodhead had 97 rushes and 34 receptions as the passing game/hurry up/ spread offense RB.
I think Michel would be excellent in that role. Spreading the field creates a light box and I thought he looked much better as a receiver last year.

Another example was Vereen 2014 with 96 rushes and 52 catches.

Harris and Michel split the RB reps with Harris in the base offense and Michel in the spread, hurry up and 3rd down role.

Yes Cousin, As mentioned, Njoku is a one year rental and OBJ is a risk that I would suspect the Patriots to vet. If he is healthy, his cost compared to what a Godwin, Golladay, Schuster, Hilton, Robinson or even an A.J. Green would cost makes him reasonable. Is that a fair statement? OBJ has two more years.

Gilmore will probably cost almost $20 to resign in 2022 so he is a one year rental as well.

DW Toys
No. A 32 year old GIlmore wouldn't cost close to $20M to resign in 2022.

The quality of the BACKS wasn't the issue last season..

Except when Burkhead was out hurt again and IF the Pats can resign White everything is cool.

Johnson has missed 5 games in his 6 year career. Burkhead has missed 17 games over 3 years in NE. Johnson is 3 years younger. Burkhead is on the wrong side of 30. Johnson moves the chains @ 131 1st downs. Burkheads got 55 to his name.

I want the team to get younger and improve. Not stand pat.

Most will disagree but I think Sony Michel will play a role like Woodhead did. 2010 Woodhead had 97 rushes and 34 receptions as the passing game/hurry up/ spread offense RB.
I think Michel would be excellent in that role. Spreading the field creates a light box and I thought he looked much better as a receiver last year.

Another example was Vereen 2014 with 96 rushes and 52 catches.

Harris and Michel split the RB reps with Harris in the base offense and Michel in the spread, hurry up and 3rd down role.
I doubt he's good enough as a receiver to fill that role. Perhaps he's improved, but there's a lot of ground between that and a James White or Rex Burkhead.

I doubt he's good enough as a receiver to fill that role. Perhaps he's improved, but there's a lot of ground between that and a James White or Rex Burkhead.

I agree. If you're looking for a RB who you can throw out there in 3rd and long, you're looking for pass protection first, receiving ability (especially on screens) as a close second, and then third is the ability to sell and convert on draws while the defense is light and looking to get upfield and murder your QB. I'm not sure Michel's skill set really fits all that, though he might be decent in pass pro (just haven't seen it consistently to now).

However, Michel could absolutely develop enough receiving sense and ability to keep defenses honest on 3rd and short situations, where you can't over commit your defense to the pass, and he can sneak out to a flat and get some yards. For that matter, Harris could do that too probably, but it's good to have two guys you feel good about in that scenario.

But if we're looking to replace White, we need someone shiftier.

I think pats and niners have a trade in place for Jimmy g. Niners just finding their bridge qb now.

Falcons marketing their #4 pick?

What would that cost the Pats in terms of picks and do they do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back