PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Pats are going to trade UP for a player, I want that player to be Pitts. Astonishing what QB insanity does to normally rational fans...Pitts is the best player in this draft and it ain't even close

If the Pats are going to trade UP for a player, I want that player to be Pitts. Astonishing what QB insanity does to normally rational fans...Pitts is the best player in this draft and it ain't even close
Pitts looks truly special, like a generational talent. Like what would happen if Randy Moss could play TE. Could alternate him between inline TE and outside WR. Complete mismatch and biggest advantage at the position since Gronk. He’s great enough that there’d always be a spot for him on offense, even with the money already invested at the position. That having been said it’s only a pipe dream, I don’t see the Pats using the resources needed to trade up that high for another TE even one as promising as Pitts, and if that was the plan I doubt BB would’ve splurged on the two he got in FA anyway.

3 TE sets? That’s a whole hell of a lot of talent at TE. Who needs WRs?

What’s better - trading up for the 3rd or 4th best QB, or trading up for a potential generational talent at TE, grabbing a dude like Mond in the 3rd, and overpowering teams with three monster TEs?

Having said that... you’re gonna have to trade fairly high either way.

If they were going to trade up for Pitts, they should not have signed BOTH Henry and Smith.

If they were going to trade up for Pitts, they should not have signed BOTH Henry and Smith.
you realize nothing is written in sand at this point ,right? Henry has injury issues...they could easily make a settlement if Pitts gets in range. The latest is Pitts may go at 4 so probably a pipe dream.

I disagree. Having DEPTH at the TE position is a GOOD thing. Pitts being able to play BOTH give you tremendous flexibility. Also, it doesn't put a TON of pressure on Pitts to be a HOFer right away.. He can learn at his pace.

The mismatches it would create would be astounding.

Trade up to 7 is getting realistic:

1 Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence
2 Jets QB Zach Wilson
3 49ers QB Trey Lance/Justin Fields
4 Falcons TE Kyle Pitts
5 Bengals OT Penei Sewell/Ja’Marr Chase
6 Dolphins OT Penei Sewell/Ja’Marr Chase
CAR can do it cheaper and easier though and DET would basically have same pick.

I agree. I doubt Atlanta is trading out of #4. They want Pitts. Ryan is getting older, only a few more years left, and Pitts adds the deep middle of the field stuff to really help that offense. I would shocked if Atlanta didn't sit tight and draft Pitts. If Atlanta trades down, Pitts will be gone.

To go from 15 to 7, I would trade #15, 46 and next years first...only if we could get Fields. I think the Lions would do it.
Fields won't be there at 7. CAR OR DEN will trade to move up to 5 or 6.
===========
If Fields is available at 5, we should trade up. We would add our 3rd round pick.

Last edited:
I get where you’re coming from, but consider where the Patriots were at the beginning of this process. No TE’s heading into the first day of free agency. Pitts was regarded as a Patriots draft target because of their need at the position. The biggest competitor in the division, the Bills, desperately wanted to upgrade at TE and were looking at free agency for a solution.

The Pats went and took the two best available TE’s off the market, turning a position of weakness to one of strength overnight and ****blocking the Bills in the process. Short of selling the farm to the Jags, there was no guarantee of Pitts being available to the Pats in the draft. But the Pats guaranteed themselves going into the season with two second-tier NFL TE’s by signing them as free agents. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Pitts is a TE/WR hybrid. Even if he went into the draft classified as a WR he might STILL be the first WR off the board because his size/speed/skill combo is unmatched. He could absolutely play as a WR here as well as take turns at TE. And they’d always have the option of trading one of their two starting TE’s and there’d be no shortage of suitors.

Nobody expects the Pats to trade up for Pitts nor should they, but I’d have no problem with that if they did. Always draft for value, not for need. Drafting strictly for need can get you in trouble (see: 2005 Vikings taking Troy Williamson 7th overall to replace Randy Moss, 2010 Broncos trading into the first round for Tim Tebow because they were desperate to replace Jay Cutler, etc.)

I continue to think if anyone gets traded its Chase Winovich. It's clear BB doesn't trust him as a 3 down edge guy and he's now stuck down the depth chart behind Judon, Van Noy, and potentially Uche etc. Others in the league with schemes that focus on rushing the passer may be willing to give up something as he's shown some ability to get after the QB and has some stats.
He is cheap and he has a role. You don’t trade those kind of guys you hoard them.

so we're 4 weeks+ until the draft....in 5 days SF has gone from "we aren't trading JG, he's still out guy" to "we'll only listen to offers with 1st round picks".....in 5 days

but yeah, they aren't just blowing smoke hoping for leverage lol lol lol

Fields won't be there at 7. CAR OR DEN will trade to move up to 5 or 6.
I disagree. Carolina or Denver aren't gonna move up. They don't have to. Unlike many, I'm not convinced that the Jets are going to take a QB. Atlanta has too much committed to Ryan this year to take a QB and they'll probably take one next year to groom. Neither Cincy nor Miami are going to take a QB. The Lions also aren't taking a QB and are probably looking for a partner to trade down with.

If Carolina wants to move up, they'd have to go to 3 or 4 to get the guy they WANT. If they're happy taking whomever is left, then I can see them waiting.

As for Denver, no one has given any adequate reason to believe that Denver is going to move on from Lock. It's more likely that Denver takes an OT, imho. They need someone on the right side of their line.

moving the chains (i think that's what was on during the ride to karate) was speculating the jets might trade down to 8, THEN trade to move back up to get their guy (they were thinking Pitts I believe)

there's a lot left that's going to happen lol

so we're 4 weeks+ until the draft....in 5 days SF has gone from "we aren't trading JG, he's still out guy" to "we'll only listen to offers with 1st round picks".....in 5 days

but yeah, they aren't just blowing smoke hoping for leverage lol lol lol

Saying that they'll only listen to offers with a 1st round pick is the equivalent of a contractor giving you a bid that is 3 times what it should be because he doesn't actually want the job. He's just giving you the bid because you asked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes