PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo.

Kyle Rudolf is EXACTLY the TE we need here to show AssyAssy & Keene what's expected of them, from both an on-field AND a classroom & weight-room perspective...He'll do the dirty, thankless work too.

Sign The Beast, Bill.

UPDATE: I am also good with spending a late Day 3 pick in the following scenario:

"If David Njoku wants out of Cleveland, the Browns might have the perfect solution.

Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph, who spent nine seasons with Kevin Stefanski in Minnesota, was released Tuesday after 10 seasons with the club, but wants to continue playing for years, a source told cleveland.com.

What’s more, he’d love to play for Stefanski, with whom he was close in Minnesota, the source said."
Cousin Stone, Hear,Hear! on your post. I could see two TEs and let last years rookies vie for the #3 job.

Njoku is a year rental but..................just spitballin'. Try this one on for size. I mentioned this s few weeks ago but here's a new twist. The Browns need to move up from #26 in Round 1 if they want a shot at a top tier edge rusher or LB. The Pats at #15 might be enticing. #26 still gets them someone like QB Trask.
My trade?
PLAN A: TE Njoku (again a one year rental unless a resign) and WR OBJ to move up 11 places in the Draft. BB has made injury gambles pay off. Is OBJ expensive ? Yes but his two years after this are probably fair market value. Godwin and Robinson will be more expensive.

OBJ has never clicked with Baker Mayfield for some reason. It also frees up some more CAP for the Browns who aren't bad off.

PLAN B: The Browns need a CB. Gilmore and a lower pick for Njoku and OBJ. That helps CAP on both Teams.

This kills two needs. An actual #1 WR!!! who is only 28. , but I still sign Rudolph so you have two serviceable TEs on the roster.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Cousin Stone, Hear,Hear! on your post. I could see two TEs and let last years rookies vie for the #3 job.

Njoku is a year rental but..................just spitballin'. Try this one on for size. I mentioned this s few weeks ago but here's a new twist. The Browns need to move up from #26 in Round 1 if they want a shot at a top tier edge rusher or LB. The Pats at #15 might be enticing. #26 still gets them someone like QB Trask.
My trade?
PLAN A: TE Njoku (again a one year rental unless a resign) and WR OBJ to move up 11 places in the Draft. BB has made injury gambles pay off. Is OBJ expensive ? Yes but his two years after this are probably fair market value. Godwin and Robinson will be more expensive.

OBJ has never clicked with Baker Mayfield for some reason. It also frees up some more CAP for the Browns who aren't bad off.

PLAN B: The Browns need a CB. Gilmore and a lower pick for Njoku and OBJ. That helps CAP on both Teams.

This kills two needs. An actual #1 WR!!! who is only 28. , but I still sign Rudolph so you have two serviceable TEs on the roster.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Madden Trade that won’t happen BUT...heck yes I’d take the deal.

Idk that Watt contract for a 30+ yo with an injury history makes me wonder how many bargains or the extent of the bargains. I'll believe it when I see it. Can't wait.
Watt beat the flooded market. If the market becomes what so many are thinking it will, the prevailing theory is that there will be a lot of lesser moneyed one year deals as players wait for the cap to increase next year.

Take that for what it's worth.

Kyle rudolph would be the best tight end we have had in 2 years if we sign him.

Hopefully we get something out of the young guys too this year.

Pats should go all in on Rudolph and Henry imo.

I could see two TEs and let last years rookies vie for the #3 job.

This is kind of where I'm at too. At the very least, one "sure" #1 TE and another vet who can vie with the rookies for 2 spots.

I also think Keene might be competing more with Vitale for a spot, depending on what they feel his role his. He's not a FB, but Vitale isn't really your prototypical lead-blocking FB either. They both seem more like big H-Back types to me. So it could be:

Competing for "traditional" TE: Two vet FA additions, Izzo, and Asiasi (No guarantee we keep more than 2)

Competing for FB/H-Back and emergency TE: Johnson, Vitale, Keene (No guarantee we keep more than 1)

Cowherd's QB predictions. If so, Pats ain't seeing playoffs for years.

20210303_145500.jpg

Idk that Watt contract for a 30+ yo with an injury history makes me wonder how many bargains or the extent of the bargains. I'll believe it when I see it. Can't wait.

What Watt contract? The one Watt leaked to the press?

I don’t trust Henry to remain healthy. I’ll go with Jonnu or Rudolph.
Patience, I say...more TEs will be hitting the FA market. Jesse James, maybe Cameron Brate...

Kyle rudolph would be the best tight end we have had in 2 years if we sign him.

Hopefully we get something out of the young guys too this year.
Some faint praise there, but I agree. He’s a decent blocker and would give the Pats a legitimate threat down the seam if they can snag a WR that the defense actually respects enough to get them in Cover-2.

Damn, was hoping Tyrell Williams would be a target for us. But that contract is a little high for a guy who didn't play at all last year I guess.

Patience, I say...more TEs will be hitting the FA market. Jesse James, maybe Cameron Brate...
I agree with this. Why do the Pats always get stuck with all these 30 somethings players past their peak. Enough of this sh*t.

Plus.

0f27a947-d326-4aa5-b7f6-998381cbdc82-ACM_RED_CARPET_040719lv_072.JPG

Cowherd's QB predictions. If so, Pats ain't seeing playoffs for years.

View attachment 30866
Well cowherd is probably the least knowledge most entertainment based agenda driving guy in sports Ned it a so I wouldn’t worry.

Cowherd knows nothing. He is not a breaking news guy anyway. He has one or two sources and that's about it. He does these predictions based on his logic, not actual information.

I agree with this. Why do the Pats always get stuck with all these 30 somethings players past their peak. Enough of this sh*t.

Plus.

View attachment 30869
They get “stuck” with those guys because they spent 20 years with the best team in the league fighting for championships so they didn’t have cap room to fill the few holes and depth spots.
This year they have more holes and more money and therefore will operate differently (but still find guys that bring value for those roles). They aren’t what the cap room will be didn’t include it’s what the left over pocket change will be. It the past they had little more than that pocket change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes