PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Cap Space

If we want to compete and I could chose I'd rather have HT than 12.5m more in cap space. But after Reiss' column a week ago it seems like retirement might actually be the odds on favorite.
Can you post a link to the article I missed it.

If hightower is here we have 60,000,000 to spend on player acquisitions. If he’s not we have over 70,000,000
I'm cool with paying him his $10M+...He was terrific in 2019 and was very sorely missed this past year.

If those players aren’t here others will be. We have 60 mill. Whether we spend that on players like guy and butler or 2 others, those spots will be filled with quality players.
We hope they are, but there is no guarantee they will be.

priorities:

1.) veteran qb - bb is 68 years old and chasing halas. He does not have time to buy any green bananas,

2.) veteran wr - preferably one to line up outside and with speed. Short two year deal.

3.) veteran wr part 2 - preferably a twitchy slot guy. Again a short deal.

4.) resign Andrews, guy, bethel, slater and maybe one or two others.

5.) use the draft to load up on stud defenders.
why restrict veteran receivers to short term deals

I'm cool with paying him his $10M+...He was terrific in 2019 and was very sorely missed this past year.
He affects so many scheme decisions. He allows you to do so many different things. Best defensive player of bb era IMO because of that.

We hope they are, but there is no guarantee they will be.
Sure there is, they aren’t going to not spend the available money to build the team.

Can you post a link to the article I missed it.

It was blurb in one of his Sunday columns (Mac Jones as Patriots' QB of future? Decision at No. 15 could be telling):

My hunch is that safety Patrick Chung, tight end Matt LaCosse and fullback Danny Vitale make the same decision, while in my opinion, offensive tackle Marcus Cannon and linebacker Dont'a Hightower are less of a certainty to return.

Given that we have heard multiple times independently that Cannon was close to retiring last offseason I thought it is telling that Reiss put HT in the same category as him. Especially after there were some rumors indicating the same thing from some Twitter folks who apparently have a connection to him a couple months back.

It was blurb in one of his Sunday columns (Mac Jones as Patriots' QB of future? Decision at No. 15 could be telling):

Given that we have heard multiple times independently that Cannon was close to retiring last offseason I thought it is telling that Reiss put HT in the same category as him. Especially after there were some rumors indicating the same thing from some Twitter folks who apparently have a connection to him a couple months back.

I wouldnt be surprised if Hightower retired. Dude has his rings and has been through alot of injuries. I remember he didnt attend the parade in 2018 for similar reasons. that he already experienced it.

I don’t see anything there. In his opinion less likely just had to go with age in my opinion.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back